Elf n Safety

Think I may have seen the ultimate just now while delivering to Addenbrooks hospital in Cambridge. Bunch of construction workers in full length Hi-Vis and safety helmets (The guys who use BFO power tools, work at height on scaffolding etc) being shepherded across the road by their own on-site lollipop man on a zebra crossing!. I daresay they have someone on hand to blow their tea to make sure it’s not too hot…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I always chuckle when I go on site and ask where the "welfare facility’s "are.
They’ll be having councilors in there next, in case the boss shouts at them.

Who’s looking after the lollipop man’s welfare?

Seen an “amenity room” today. Obviously evolved from canteen then.

Then I harp back to yesterday again where I had some chemicals to drop off at a quarry only to be told they couldn’t use their telehandler because it was too risky. Yet they all got to work to sit round all day and I managed to get there.

On the way out I passed a sign saying about PPE must be worn with a diagram saying the helmet goes on the head, the eye goggles go on the… eyes :unamused:

What must it be like working, in the most elfn safety industry(construction) and working for the most risk averse industry (government) bet that elfn safety meeting is a ball.

Freight Dog:
Who’s looking after the lollipop man’s welfare?

Bloody hell, well spotted that man! The crossing guard clearly needs a crossing guard.

toonsy:
On the way out I passed a sign saying about PPE must be worn with a diagram saying the helmet goes on the head, the eye goggles go on the… eyes :unamused:

I :laughing: at that one, brilliant. Did they also have a sign for where to wear the steelies? :grimacing:

Our yard goes against every UK rule in the book, no PPE, freight everywhere, signs with do not apply trailer brake ect, the list could go on…but…it all runs smoothly and without issue. All it needs is common sense for accidents to be avoided, Most H&S is just plain BS…

When Health ans Safety started being a workplace issue it was a good idea and prevented a lot of accidents at work, then came the “where there’s blame there’s a claim” mentality and now companies are too busy worrying about covering their arses to worry about good well thought out H&S rules.

Add that to the fact that whenever someone tries to do something good there’s nearly always someone who wants to take it to the extreme and we have the bull-crap H&S rules that now exist in some companies.

tachograph:
When Health ans Safety started being a workplace issue it was a good idea and prevented a lot of accidents at work, then came the “where there’s blame there’s a claim” mentality and now companies are too busy worrying about covering their arses to worry about good well thought out H&S rules.

Add that to the fact that whenever someone tries to do something good there’s nearly always someone who wants to take it to the extreme and we have the bull-crap H&S rules that now exist in some companies.

True. The pendulum has swung too far.
I also worry about some kiids being wrapped in cotton wool, never even seeing or needing to think about their surroundings. Protect them fron danger, but don’t isolate them from thinking about it.
Several years ago on an older ferry a teenager went to stick their hand into a watertight door that was closin,g assuming that it’d pop back. He looked shocked when I explained (gently) the dangers and pointed out the warning signs.
There is a risk of bringing up a generation who can’t think for themselves.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

AndrewG:

toonsy:

I :laughing: at that one, brilliant. Did they also have a sign for where to wear the steelies? :grimacing:

Our yard goes against every UK rule in the book, no PPE, freight everywhere, signs with do not apply trailer brake ect, the list could go on…but…it all runs smoothly and without issue. All it needs is common sense for accidents to be avoided, Most H&S is just plain BS…

It was a picture of a man (or woman in the interests of equality) with various items of PPE pointing to various parts of the body. Like a puzzle for a three year old.

toonsy:

AndrewG:

toonsy:

It was a picture of a man (or woman in the interests of equality) with various items of PPE pointing to various parts of the body. Like a puzzle for a three year old.

The picture should have been gender neutral, otherwise it could offend those who aren’t sure what they are. :unamused: :laughing:

Personally I identify as a Black Woman, which really confuses SJW’s when I pull the race and sexism card when accused of having white male privilege. :laughing:

muckles:
The picture should have been gender neutral, otherwise it could offend those who aren’t sure what they are. :unamused: :laughing:

Personally I identify as a Black Woman, which really confuses SJW’s when I pull the race and sexism card when accused of having white male privilege. :laughing:

I’m waiting in earnest for when the law allows a person to self-identify (currently need a doctor’s certificate) whichever gender they wish. I’m going to use the ladies bogs all the time, and if anybody protests I’ll say “did you just assume my gender?”, then walk in with a wry smile.

I heard this already exists in some countries (Canada being one, I think) and causes a lot of upset.

ezydriver:

muckles:

I’m waiting in earnest for when the law allows a person to self-identify (currently need a doctor’s certificate) whichever gender they wish. I’m going to use the ladies bogs all the time, and if anybody protests I’ll say “did you just assume my gender?”, then walk in with a wry smile.

I heard this already exists in some countries (Canada being one, I think) and causes a lot of upset.

There seems to be an increasing trend that in the name of equality, any minority can claim that certain things offend them and they have right to special treatment, but if what they do offends the majority, then the majority are accused of hate speech and branded as fascists.

Roymondo:
Think I may have seen the ultimate just now while delivering to Addenbrooks hospital in Cambridge. Bunch of construction workers in full length Hi-Vis and safety helmets (The guys who use BFO power tools, work at height on scaffolding etc) being shepherded across the road by their own on-site lollipop man on a zebra crossing!. I daresay they have someone on hand to blow their tea to make sure it’s not too hot…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I see worse everyday; there is a pedestrian crossing, yes, a pedestrian crossing with lights that stop traffic to let people across (in Isleworth). There is usually a lollipop lady present. She presses the button to change the lights, makes all the peds wait and then walks out to stop traffic when the lights turn red hahahaha!

I can’t wait for someone to apply HS rules to War!!

Sumsmeister:

Don’t forget your hi viz when on the battle field now :smiley: .

Freight Dog:

Sumsmeister:

It is the law that hunters must wear orange when hunting so that they don’t shoot other hunters. It seems that the mossy oak camo gear was getting too good. Of course the animals are all in favour of orange as they can know see the hunters again.

Freight Dog:

Sumsmeister:

Well if you were wearing eye defenders you’d not have had that shrapnel blind you. And that tinnitus wouldbt be half as bad if you had ear defenders on…

toonsy:

Freight Dog:

Sumsmeister:

Well if you were wearing eye defenders you’d not have had that shrapnel blind you. And that tinnitus wouldbt be half as bad if you had ear defenders on…

Yeah and if you don’t have toecaps on you won’t be insured on the battlefield. And you have to walk between the lines :smiley: . Guns will have small wheels on the stock rather than slings. Like posties bags :smiley: . Soldiers will wheel them about.

Watched that guy Martin prog in a tank. He had a ride in an army tank. The tank commander said to him “climb on, using three points of contact”. Health and safety on a battle tank. It’s good advice actually but made me smile to hear the phrase :smiley:

ChrisArbon:

Freight Dog:

Sumsmeister:

It is the law that hunters must wear orange when hunting so that they don’t shoot other hunters. It seems that the mossy oak camo gear was getting too good. Of course the animals are all in favour of orange as they can know see the hunters again.

I think you’ll find most animals can’t see red light. I’ve seen lots of hunters wearing orange/black jackets that apparently appear as a grey/black to prey. Safer for hunters, if their mates ain’t blind drunk anyway!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk