ELF' n SAFETY FFS!

Does anyone on here now the rules on what are the acceptable weights of roller cages & pallets that someone is allowed to push/pull? One of our drivers refused to load some pallets with a boxvan using a pumptruck - the pallet was food products from Premier foods at Wisbech

Our companys policy is to ask that loaded pallets weigh no more than 1000kg,although we do get the odd 1 thats 1200+,then there was the time when i huffed & puffed with this bloody pallet that turned out to weigh 1460kg :imp: :imp:

was told it was pat of job when i started with corby,so just got on with it,but tipping 26 pallets of pastry,orange juice can make you sweat a bit :wink: as can loading 26 palls of bottled water[that when you wish you had a taut],normally if i get to collection and theres a old timer there ill take the full load and let him take o/spill or if hes feeling fit will split 50/50.as anything try to work it between you,make life easier

DT@Leightonhaul:
Our companys policy is to ask that loaded pallets weigh no more than 1000kg,although we do get the odd 1 thats 1200+,then there was the time when i huffed & puffed with this bloody pallet that turned out to weigh 1460kg :imp: :imp:

I dont think you will get done for overloading, gross weight on a standard pump truck is 2.5 tonnes.

I had 26 pallets at 550kg each going to a fork lift delivery in a box, just told them to reload it on a curtain. Im no breaking my back when there isnt any need.

Tell you what if you had to load catch weights off the dock hand ball on to a flat trailer bone meal bags 1cwt to 2cwt then rope and sheet them in the rain and deliver them to farms that would sort the men from the boys. boy where you fit.

Robertthegreat:
Tell you what if you had to load catch weights off the dock hand ball on to a flat trailer bone meal bags 1cwt to 2cwt then rope and sheet them in the rain and deliver them to farms that would sort the men from the boys. boy where you fit.

Up to 3 loads of cement a day for me when I 1st started, all handball, I know what you mean :smiley:

boris:
‘…Does anyone on here now the rules on what are the acceptable weights of roller cages & pallets that someone is allowed to push/pull…?’

It’s probably obvious - but if it causes discomfort or pain then it is too much for that individual, but definitely don’t continue knackering yourself in silence.

Meanwhile, if your employer accepted a medical report at your recruitment and it suddenly hurts to shift the loads then it suggests that the loads have become excessive - or that a negative medical condition has occurred suggesting a need to consult a Doctor. If the Doc then says that you’re OK then it perhaps indicates that the loads have become too heavy.

Roller cages will have a design specification (although learning what the spec is could prove impossible) so perhaps see if they’re being used within that specification? Are they being correctly maintained, ie, is the kit servicable or do the wheel bearings and/or castors need a squirt of oil,etc?

I use the combination axle height adjustments to get maximum advantage (let gravity do the graft, eh) - and am lucky enough to have an employer who has supplier contracts not expecting me to go any further than the loading dock. Maybe the suppliers are taking liberties with your boss’s contract with them? Can an office clerk sort it out for you in a chat with the supplier - perhaps they able to provide some extra ‘grunt’ to help on the bay from one of their bods?

Robertthegreat:

By eck robert ive been there,you were everybodys mate when you did that job,the smell was unforgettable.
regards dave.

Swing that lamp! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The standard answer is that if a rollcage is unsafe to move then you should decant some of the stock from it into another or seek assistance. If you injure yourself moving heavy pallets/cages then you will have no comeback.

tofer:
The standard answer is that if a rollcage is unsafe to move then you should decant some of the stock from it into another or seek assistance. If you injure yourself moving heavy pallets/cages then you will have no comeback.

Sorry, you’re not necessarily right there. As with many things it will depend on the individual circumstances.

44 Tonne Ton:

tofer:

Sorry, you’re not necessarily right there. As with many things it will depend on the individual circumstances.

True but speaking from experience of other drivers who have toppled cages or been injured moving heavy cages the investigation goes along the lines of

Manager: Why did the cage fall over?

Driver:It was too heavy and the surface was uneven

Manager:Did you check the route before you moved the cage?

Driver:Yes

Manager:Did you decant the cage?

Driver:No

Manager: This was an avoidable accident.

Usually a disciplinary would follow.

Remember you are only a lorry driver and therefore whatever you do will be wrong. It always has been and it always will be.

What annoys me is companies that insist that you comply with their H&S rules and then you see their own staff totally disregarding the same set of rules. I think hypocrisy is the word that describes it.

Hiya …the maximum weight you should pull (pallet truck 2.5 ton)is 600kgs(ha ha) thats been a ruleing for 12 years or so
if you pull a more you should get help(ha ha ha)
this is one for the h&s how is it we can,t stand on a lorry deck at 1.5 metre but pop stars can stand and jump around on
a platform 2to3metre,s high to sing■■?..my mates son can sit on his horse 7ft in the air without any safty net.and chase
around a feild if he wishes. wow it makes me boil.no wonder people don,t bother working nowadays.
John

3300John:
'…we can’t stand on a lorry deck at 1.5 metre but pop stars can stand and jump around on a platform 2 to 3 metres high to sing…?

Crikey, my (trailer!) back-door is my stage :smiley: