eletric fault

hi i am curentley driving a man and keep getting warnings up about low oil presure and a stop light flashing had man out to look at it 2 times and said it is probaly faulty wiring cant be tested untill weekend would anyone still drive it in this condition

ocasionly get a edc light come on as well dont know what that means

Erm yes check the oil level

Unless your engine is cooking itself it shouldnt have low oil pressure.

If your really concernd tell you TM.

Err No is the short answer

The warnings are there for a reason, Oil pressure is a serious problem,

If we get anyone ring up with an oil pressure light on will tell them to stop and we will get someone out to check it out

When MAN looked at it did they put a gauge on the enigne to check it has oil pressure (probably not!)

I would not drive it or start it until its been fixed

Being a MAN probably means the engines on its way out anyway :laughing:

For oil warning yes i probably would drive it. If you have a dipstick use that.

Our actros intermitantly comes up with ‘oil over max’ Fitter has said it’s ok to drive, TM has said it’s ok to drive.

EDC is Engine Diesel Control i think, engine management fault.

If the boss is happy for you to drive it, then it’s his engine at the end of the day and if it needs a new one next week, it’ still his engine.

I’ve driven the TGA 360 and now drive the ERF ECT version…

I’d suggest the same as the other drivers have, however, if you have any doubts, ring the vehicle supplier, for south west its SA Trucks in Avonmouth…
Tell them the fault code ie EDC 0345-04…they will look it up…

The 0345 is the actual fault code…the 04 is the amount of times the code has arisen on the engine…

There are some EDC codes that crop up which are safe to drive with and the suplier can tell you which ones they are…

The vehicle manual has a listing to of various codes…

Most major fault i have had so far was a Red Stop on dash…
Engine temp sensor failure…looks like a glow plug, sits on top of engine block…

Rule of thumb i was given is
Red EDC STOP
Yellow EDC Safe to drive and get it looked at

Hope this helps

dennisw1:

Yes but you can have a full engine on the dipstick and still have no oil pressure

The pump could of fell off and is sitting in the sump, still have oil on the stick but its not being pumped around the engine to the parts that needs a oil supply so it would scrap the whole engine very very quickly,

These engines are around the 15 to 20 grand mark to replace :open_mouth:

And modern trucks can tell how long you have driven since the warning came up so don’t come the “The warning just came on and the engine stopped” line because we know you are telling porkies :laughing: :laughing:

Hence no warranty and one very very angry gaffer

Don’t drive it unless your gaffer says so, and i mean the truck owner not some gimp in the traffic office. :smiley:

Discopete:
The pump could of fell off and is sitting in the sump, still have oil on the stick but its not being pumped around the engine to the parts that needs a oil supply so it would scrap the whole engine very very quickly,

thats the point though, if your driving down the road and the oil pump drops of id give the engine a minute at most before its seized if that.

Frankly the warning is pointless if it comes on down the road because its most probably too late.

not being pumped around the engine to the parts that needs a oil supply so it would scrap the whole engine very very quickly,

Exactly and as it keeps coming up it would have been seized by now.

As i said if the boss has said its ok, then it’s his problem.

When MAN looked at it did they put a gauge on the enigne to check it has oil pressure (probably not!)

Why wouldnt they? Maybe they did and that’s why they’ve said it’s a wiring fault.

Being a MAN probably means the engines on its way out anyway

I’m not a fan of them either, but dont knock them, i mean going by your avatar you’ll be working on them very soon :laughing:

The TGAs and ECTs are terrible for flashing up random warnings of whatever they fancy that day. I think I’ve had them all from EDC warnings to “you’ve got a bulb out” warnings and each and every one of them was a load of boIIox. The annoying thing is that pressing the button on the dash to cancel them only works for a few seconds before they come up again and bleep at you. :angry:

Oil light “On”

Requires pressure checked with a proper guage, then and only then make the decision to drive it.

Not worth the risk if you are wrong and warranty will likely be void.

man came out and replaced a sensor and checked oil presure on the first day second day still same problem the light just goes crazy flashing like a christmas tree so said it is probaly eletric fault and they need to book it in for a diagnostic problem is getting relly bad now with all flashing lights going crazy not booked in to wekend hire company and boss said it will be ok to drive just make sure you check oil daily just hope it dosent catch fire the way its going

dennisw1:

Using the dipstick will only determine that the engine’s oil level is correct.
Firstly i would use a pressure guage(fit in place of oil pressure sensor).