Electrical lines

hi, can anyone tell me what the difference between the two electric lines, and what they power. thanks.

one for lights the other for power supply to brakes :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The black one does the side lights, tail lights, brake lights and indicators.
Green one does fog lights and reverse lights.

Here it is:

http://www.ratltd.co.uk/truck/pinouts/trailer/

Gary

damoq:

Is the right answer.

The green one also powers the ABS.

Paul

You sure about that Paul, I thought the abs was controlled by the meaty one with the snap on bracket?

repton:

damoq:

Is the right answer.

The green one also powers the ABS.

Paul

Didn’t realise the ABS took its power feed from the green line though. Just assumed that was all taken care of by the ABS susie. Many a time I’ve ran with the green disconnected due to it being damaged thinking it will be ok cos its not foggy and some trailers have no reverse lights anyway.:astonished: Need to bear that in mind next time. Thanks.:wink:

Thanks for all the info.

Black or “n” susie does both lighting circuits(n/s and o/s) indicators,stop lights and a trailer air pressure switch lead (if fitted) plus the earth

Green or “s” susie does fogs and reverse.On old generation one ABS trailers you could power up the ABS module with it.

After generation one the ABS has to have its own seperate lead with 5 pins plus two EBS data leads but these dont have to be wired up.

Silver_Surfer:
You sure about that Paul, I thought the abs was controlled by the meaty one with the snap on bracket?

As I understand it (and I could be wrong on this one) there is also an ABS power feed in the 24S (green) line. This was used to power the ABS on trailers in the days before EBS - don’t assume that a trailer that doesn’t have the chunky EBS connector doesn’t have ABS, many of them do, just not the fancy EBS that can talk to the braking system on the tractor unit. On modern trailers this is still wired to power the ABS so that you still get ABS (but not EBS) if you connect a newer trailer up to an older tractor unit that doesn’t have an EBS connector.

I think that makes sense…

If someone knows better I’m happy to be put right though.

Paul

damoq:
Didn’t realise the ABS took its power feed from the green line though. Just assumed that was all taken care of by the ABS susie. Many a time I’ve ran with the green disconnected due to it being damaged thinking it will be ok cos its not foggy and some trailers have no reverse lights anyway.:astonished: Need to bear that in mind next time. Thanks.:wink:

I think it’s an either/or thing. As long as you have the EBS suzie plugged in your ABS/EBS will be working, but it’s also wired to the 24S suzie so that you still get basic ABS even with an old tractor unit.

Paul