Electrical help

Hi guys looking for some help. I currently have a 12v coolbox (aldi) and after having bother with two previous inverters im currently running it through my scania p series 12v socket on passenger side . This socket has now blown the fuse in box to which i cant seem to find any one know which number it is . Getting back to inverters first one just packed in for no apparent reason bit smelly tho . 2nd worked ok but then just seemed to go off this happended when running coolbox . Coolbox 55w at 240v or 7.5 on eco mode inverter 24v 300w hard wired to fusebox, all wiring checked by fitter and ok . Just not too keen to run coolbox thru inverter incase coolbox breaking inverters. Must say cig plug gets pretty hot when on. So any help lads would be really welcome. Cheers.

Personally I would suspect it’s faulty !

Put an amp meter on it and see what it’s drawing when running.

Fitters should be able to do this in a few mins then you’ll know if it’s at spec or not

As has been said get a meter on it inline to check the current draw when on. It would need checked on 240v through an invertor, and running on 12v dc as the amount of amps its will be drawing will be different depending on the voltage.

Divide the wattage by the voltage to work out the amps.

Sorry don’t know the location of the fuse for the 12v socket.

Most invertor are not designed to be run all the time unless quite expensive as they will build up a lot of heat, also make sure the invertor is in a well vented location away from anything like the night heater ect. The fact you say the socket is getting hot means it’s drawing too much current so don’t replace the fuse for a higher rating when you do find it as if it doesn’t blow when overloaded the next weakest link will.

You would be better off with a decent DC powered cool box. Most inverters will struggle to stand up to totally constant use.

Are you sure it has not blown the glass fuse in the plug on the coolbox?

Most ■■■ lighter sockets are rated at 15 amp peak 10 amp continuous
Most times they dont blow the fuse,what happens is that due to them getting warm the two feed tags at the bottom of the socket either bend or tarnish so that they dont make a contact with the pick up on the plug.
Isolate the socket(some are linked into the ignition and some stay “live” all the time) get a small 90 degree pick and pull up the tangs at the bottom where they would make contact with the heating element in the ■■■ lighter.
Or buy a new ■■■ lighter unit,about a fiver.

anders66:
Hi guys looking for some help. I currently have a 12v coolbox (aldi) and after having bother with two previous inverters im currently running it through my scania p series 12v socket on passenger side . This socket has now blown the fuse in box to which i cant seem to find any one know which number it is . Getting back to inverters first one just packed in for no apparent reason bit smelly tho . 2nd worked ok but then just seemed to go off this happended when running coolbox . Coolbox 55w at 240v or 7.5 on eco mode inverter 24v 300w hard wired to fusebox, all wiring checked by fitter and ok . Just not too keen to run coolbox thru inverter incase coolbox breaking inverters. Must say cig plug gets pretty hot when on. So any help lads would be really welcome. Cheers.

300 watts at 24v draws 12.5 amps.Too much for a ■■■ lighter
And if its a 12v ■■■ lighter its dragging 25 amps, way too high.

Bking:

anders66:

Sorry mate you miss understood inverter is hard wired to direct 24v thru fusebox not ■■■ socket. Its coolbox thats run through ■■■ lighter but ■■■ plug gets warm dont use coolbox yhru inverter as bit wary after whats happended lol.

12v to inverter 230 output… then to ya coolbox… R U NUCKIN FUTZ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

simon1958:
12v to inverter 230 output… then to ya coolbox… R U NUCKIN FUTZ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Are you blind or simply cant ■■■■■■ read. Inverter is a 24v.one wired to fusebox so can use tv from it. Now coolbox is both 12v and 240v but dont run coolbox thru inverter as bit wary use the 12v cigar lead straight into 12v socket in truck hope that simple enough for you. Suggest you read properly before posting comments as all other people understood post noproblem.

Why do you need an inverter for a 12v coolbox? You cannot plug a 12vDC coolbox into an inverter with an output of 240vAC.

You need a 24v to 12v DC converter/dropper if you use the 24v socket.

This will do it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brookstone-BR390080-Converter/dp/B0057VA3AO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423411183&sr=8-2&keywords=24v+to+12v+converter

Hi martin i know where your coming from as do plug coolbox into my 12v socket on my scania but have replaced 1 plug due to it getting hot and melting slightly. Just thought might be better running coolbox via inverter mate hope you understand mate

I run my Aldi cool box with a 300w 24v invertor on the high setting on the cool box for a couple of hours then leave it on the eco setting all the time. Keeps it chilled nicely. Its nice and quiet when sleeping don’t really notice it. I have the invertor plugged into one of the normal 24v sockets never gets hot.

Cheers robert thats what i originally did mate but went thru 2 inverters for no apparent reason so used cig lead into 12v socket. I know you understand what i mean as you seem to have same coolbox just really wary bout using inverter again incase its coolbox thats breaking them but on other hand that cig lead does get pretty warmish lol

You could have been unlucky with inverters but I would suspect the coolbox.
My plan would be to get a good inverter with voltage and overload protection, may be tempted to get coolbox checked out also.

anders66:

Bking:

anders66:

Sorry mate you miss understood inverter is hard wired to direct 24v thru fusebox not ■■■ socket. Its coolbox thats run through ■■■ lighter but ■■■ plug gets warm dont use coolbox yhru inverter as bit wary after whats happended lol.

Problem is that truck fuse boxes have their power carried by copper tracks inside the unit.These are not able to carry a constant 12.5 amp load.OK you have some 20 amp fuses fitted eg ABS solenoid feed but these are for very short operation times.Plus truck wiring is very feeble and carrying that load for any length of time will kill it.Highest constant draw would be about 3 or 4 amps eg headlights per bulb or night heater.
The reason they fit 10 amp fuses on headlights is that when you first turn them on the filament is cold so has a very low resistance but as it gets hot its resistance rises and its current draw drops.The use of can bus is reducing wire gauge even further as only the ECUs are fed any amps the triggering wiring runs in the milliamp range.The idea was developed to reduce wiring weight in aircraft.You could always fit 2 ■■■ lighters and splice the fridge wiring into 2 plugs that would halve the draw from each socket.

You need a soft start inverter stops the sudden surge of power on switching on builds up slowly does’t blow the fuses.