Electric Trucks

As per title, electric is moving further into off-road heavy quarry uses.

Bit light on real facts on this first story, but it is a big, heavy, bit of kit.
electrek.co/2022/11/23/caterpil … ing-truck/

But this second story is about a working truck, 65t payload…that uses minus-energy…
(I can hear the keypad tapping away in Leatherhead already!)
greencarreports.com/news/11 … -recharged

Ita all vey well doing trials in one of the hottest states in USA but when they try the same trials up here in -30c the results are less than stunning.They are going to try one of the smaller truck here in Aitik min shortly[75ton],but no-one is thinking about trying the big dump trucks[600ton]for a long time yet.Up till now electric trucks are not a success as is proved every winter by the stopping of electric city buses and mining trucks in Kaunisvaara which either dont go at all in the cold or go for less than 50% of their expected distance.

hutpik:
Ita all vey well doing trials in one of the hottest states in USA but when they try the same trials up here in -30c the results are less than stunning.They are going to try one of the smaller truck here in Aitik min shortly[75ton],but no-one is thinking about trying the big dump trucks[600ton]for a long time yet.Up till now electric trucks are not a success as is proved every winter by the stopping of electric city buses and mining trucks in Kaunisvaara which either dont go at all in the cold or go for less than 50% of their expected distance.

The Caterpillar truck isn`t yet in use, only a prototype I think.

Yes, cold weather is a significant factor in EVs.
The one in the Swiss mountains is actually in use. A Swiss winter isnt as cold as a Finnish one, but from the south of the UK where we havent yet had a frost yet this season, it would seem pretty cold.

Electron & Eurovia are trialling a wireless charging system on the German autobahn, It looks a much better system than the Pantograph infrastructure that was previously trialled. cleantechnica.com/2022/11/18/el … -autobahn/
They reckon electric truck freight will be cheaper than e-diesel too. transportenvironment.org/di … unterpart/

E freight, e diesel. It seems that if you want significant grants these days you need to label something with an e on the front of it.

I have an e pup I’m willing to sell.

Because it’s Saturday and because I’m on my sixth Madri and because I have recently been in far too much agreement with my learned collegue Franglais recently, the only thing I’d avoid with an e on the front would be an e…. u. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
Because it’s Saturday and because I’m on my sixth Madri and because I have recently been in far too much agreement with my learned collegue Franglais recently, the only thing I’d avoid with an e on the front would be an e…. u. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

But, confessing my ignorance, I`ve Googled Madri…a E-uropean beer?

I love SuperBock when in Portugal, but under grey winter skies, it doesn`t taste so sunny to me.

Franglais:
, but under grey winter skies, it doesn`t taste so sunny to me.

But surely that’s all about perception and disposition isn’t it? If you’re habitually a glass half empty kinda guy then surely very little will taste sunny?

the maoster:

Franglais:
, but under grey winter skies, it doesn`t taste so sunny to me.

But surely that’s all about perception and disposition isn’t it? If you’re habitually a glass half empty kinda guy then surely very little will taste sunny?

Far from it.
I recognise sunshine as easily as I recognise clouds.
I am a realist.
I enjoy SuperBock in the sunshine sat under a parasol. I enjoy Gales HSB in front of a pub fire, although I mightnt enjoy bitter on a beach.

I had a happy sunshiny youth,
but don`t for a second imagine that wearing flared jeans and platform boots will cure my arthritis.

Tesla claim to have completed the class 8 Semi’s first 500 mile trip without charging carrying a 80,000 load. Mercedes says BS it defies the laws of physics :open_mouth: electrek.co/2022/11/27/tesla-se … full-load/
youtube.com/watch?v=JAQuZBF15zA&t=1s

the maoster:
E freight, e diesel. It seems that if you want significant grants these days you need to label something with an e on the front of it.

I have an e pup I’m willing to sell.

Dunno mate I made a fair few quid selling stuff with an e on the front of it back in the day :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Excellent.

The smiley faces weren’t an accident! :smiley: :smiley:

Franglais:
But this second story is about a working truck, 65t payload…that uses minus-energy…
(I can hear the keypad tapping away in Leatherhead already!)
greencarreports.com/news/11 … -recharged

Same principle as this (carrying a load downhill)
youtu.be/6RiYXI1Tfu4

Who lives in Leatherhead?