Electric trucks

Has anyone seen one or driven one yet? I saw one reverse the other day, I thought he was rolling backwards (which was weird because it’s very flat there), then he pulled off with just a slight whine of motor! 16 plate pulling a tatty old trailer (to the testing station), didn’t see the make.

I once drove a milk float :slight_smile:

Had a 7.5 ton from TKmaxx (DHL) a few Times. OK as long as you in the Yard. But it was Winter and cold. So after Stop and Go at 17.00 the A5 to london and full Lorry taillifting to unload and load even ASDA Lorries overtook my the M1 to M25 Borth.
Next Day i added 1 Hour waiting with Heater running and did the last 10 Miles behind a Recovery Truck back Home :slight_smile:

Trying to use the idea in max weight trucks would probably break the industry in terms of unladen weights and/or costs. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Not driven a full electric but I got sent out in a mitsubishi canter hybrid we had on demo last month. Quite strange to drive. When you let your foot off the accelerator pedal, it slows down quite considerably. This is when the hybrid motor is being recharged. If driven properly, you hardly need to touch the foot break to slow down. But it got me wondering. It must be a handful to drive on snow and ice. The drive wheels must lock up a lot when decelerating.

Immigrant:
Had a 7.5 ton from TKmaxx (DHL) a few Times. OK as long as you in the Yard. But it was Winter and cold. So after Stop and Go at 17.00 the A5 to london and full Lorry taillifting to unload and load even ASDA Lorries overtook my the M1 to M25 Borth.
Next Day i added 1 Hour waiting with Heater running and did the last 10 Miles behind a Recovery Truck back Home :slight_smile:

When you say behind a Recovery Truck do you mean towed or a complete lift all 4 corners off the floor?

Fully electric powered truck by Smith.

Ive also driven the tkmaxx one, they need a match took to them. Come onto a flat motorway and it takes around 2 minutes to get to 50mph. Slightest incline, slightest btw and it drops to 30mph on ■■■■■■■ motorway! Death traps!

Then you break down and you can’t get bloody towed, you need a low loader to come and collect you :laughing:

Spend the majority of their life in workshops.

raymundo:

Your not called Ernie by chance?

nick2008:

Immigrant:

When you say behind a Recovery Truck do you mean towed or a complete lift all 4 corners off the floor?

Just Front lifted. Got nort M1 to run over to 414,and there at R/bout was finish. Recovery driver said he went already a few Times to bring them back Home :slight_smile:

nick2008:
Fully electric powered truck by Smith.

Thats the one.
DHL said to Agency is my Fault,so i contacted Smith. 50 to 80 Miles Range they said. Houres in Traffic cuts Milage back,as Taillift does. So,well. Rather think DHL Traffic Office were dispatching that Vehicle to unsuitable Route.

I cant see the electric vehicle being used in heavy haulage but for local runs there could be a place for them.Battery technology has came on in leaps and bounds, also there is regenerative braking as an added bonus.We could have a scenario on multi drop ,arrive plug in your cable then unload do paper work unplug and go.

Immigrant:
Just Front lifted. Got nort M1 to run over to 414,and there at R/bout was finish. Recovery driver said he went already a few Times to bring them back Home :slight_smile:

That’s Fkd then it has to be a total lift drove it for a year and never once broke down ran out of juice etc but then it’s how you drive it. Another guy kept having problems so in the end I was the only one to drive it

peirre:

raymundo:

Your not called Ernie by chance?

Bugger, that’s me sussed ! :slight_smile:

met a senior volvo techguy delivering cars recently he was off to Sweden for training prior to launch of Volvo hybrid up to 44t weight
smaller engine plus elec motor when needed ,said it should not be a problem shifting them ,interestingly in comparison he said all fh16 derated themselves to 520hp unless really needed. so is the need for power in the head

t4triaxle:
met a senior volvo techguy delivering cars recently he was off to Sweden for training prior to launch of Volvo hybrid up to 44t weight

What’s the weight and the extra cost of the electro drive,batteries and engine combination.In addition to all the added complication maintenance headaches affecting residual values.

What sort of a range do these trucks have? I only ask as when the chap came out to us from the gas board with a hybrid Vauxhall car he had only come from Nottingham (about 30 miles) and he had to fire up the auxilary petrol engine in the boot to charge the batteries to get him on the rest of his journey up into the High Peak as hill work killed the batteries. I can see a big weight/payload penalty for trucks though.

Pete.

windrush:
What sort of a range do these trucks have? I only ask as when the chap came out to us from the gas board with a hybrid Vauxhall car he had only come from Nottingham (about 30 miles) and he had to fire up the auxilary petrol engine in the boot to charge the batteries to get him on the rest of his journey up into the High Peak as hill work killed the batteries. I can see a big weight/payload penalty for trucks though.

Pete.

Think it’s a couple of miles loaded, but with a constantly running diesel/lpg engine (low revs) they can keep going and going. The engine doesn’t need to be big, just enough to drive the alternator.

htmldude:

windrush:

Pete.

Think it’s a couple of miles loaded, but with a constantly running diesel/lpg engine (low revs) they can keep going and going. The engine doesn’t need to be big, just enough to drive the alternator.

The problem being that if the power demand is more than the output of the engine the combined output is totally dependent on the stored energy contained in the batteries and which obviously depletes the battery charge and range accordingly.