ELDON HILL QUARRY

Few more to bump the thread. Anyone have any others knocking around?

This TK Bedford which I believe was/is owned by Bob Garlick of Buxton and now doing the vintage rally scene with the Eldon Hill name on the body headboard.It may have pulled stone out of Eldon Hill at one time

The disused stone quarries at Eldon Hill

Came across this Eldon Hill foden, must have been taken before they were part of TWW.
Does anybody have any info about it.
:question: :question:

Hi dexydog,
Good pic,that Foden must be a mixer chassis,a mate had one like that,a short six wheeler.
Cheers Dave.

No info on the Sabrina, but I have a few pics taken in the quarry around 1980.

A few more pics this time of the fleet with an old S20 thrown in too.

Finally, does anyone remember the wagons that TWW had in the early 80s at Shining Bank quarry near Youlgreave ?
They had a few ‘Spanish’ Dodges and even though they had big engines, they wouldn’t pull you out of bed. :confused: Round here they earned the nickname ‘Shining Cranks’ ! :laughing:

BonkeyDollocks:

Finally, does anyone remember the wagons that TWW had in the early 80s at Shining Bank quarry near Youlgreave ?
They had a few ‘Spanish’ Dodges and even though they had big engines, they wouldn’t pull you out of bed. :confused: Round here they earned the nickname ‘Shining Cranks’ ! :laughing:

What were these colours ?
When Ward’s took them over didn’t they change from Yellow & Black to Maroon & Red for a while, as I’m sure I remember them having a lot of Dodge Hi Lines and DAF 's in that livery, then they changed to that wierd Yellow.
When they got the Spanish Dodge’s they had a mixture of 6 and 8 leggers in them didn’t they ? and one of Eldon’s drivers use to park one on his driveway, close to the caravan site on Long Hill. Does anyone have any pics of the Commer Maxiloades or Commando’s they had ?

Another Eldon foden

just moving across the valley a little bit dexydog,
a couple of fine motors running round tunstead :smiley:

Hey guys i’ve been looking at these photo’s with some interest as my dad was employed at both Eldon Hill & Shining Bank from early 1969 to 1987 as well as covering Goddards,Anne Twyfords(Birchover),Connah’s quay,Shap Granite & Cornish Delanc at St Brewards on emergency breakdown for heavy goods & mobile plant (all owned by TWW,taken over by Rio Tinto Zinc(south africa) ) and as we know eventually RMC.I’ve shown him the pictures & posts and he has some answers regarding lorries,colours etc." Early Eldon Hill was opened up by Needhams of Chapel en le Frith the fleet comprised of a mixture of mainly Vulcans with some Fodens which were marroon in colour they then changed to orange & took on a commer ts3 2 stroke with the air braking system(very unsafe no spring brake back up) which used to decoke themselves at 45 mph on the overrun lol.Then the colour changed with TWW take over to citrine green (nicknamed lovingly goose ■■■■ green) spanish Dodges came onto the scene with the spanish Bararus(excuse spelling) 1 6 engine don’t be misled don’t ever think this engine was lacking in power it had so much power that you couldn’t hold it together for long periods of time, one of these lorries (possibly reg:~128 f) was converted & fitted with a Scania 80 engine by Terry Mycock this lorry came with the Chrysler gearbox which also couldn’t stand the stress & used to break up on the baulk clusters so we converted a ZF crash 4 over 4 left hand drive gear box off a Daf & fitted that behind the scania engine(what a combination).After then mainly Daf’s came onto the scene up until i left in 1987 ,Eldon Hill & TWW was a family all on its own".Hope this is of interest,cheers

Hi Keggers… Welcome to Trucknet, your inputs much appreciated.
Have you seen this old Needham’s pic “dexydog” put on the Peak District thread, untill you mentioned it I had no idea they had links with Eldon Hill.

My dad Eddie Hartley was an o/d with Eldon Hill up till 1983 with this Dodge, do you remember seeing the wagon around back then ?

I remember him telling me of some old lorries that were left to rot in part of the quarry at one time, were they Foden’s.?

Paul.

A great thread you have started dexydog,right up my street as a former tipper driver.Good pics as well.
Cheers Dave.

Couple here belonging to Eldon Hill Quarries(I think they are Bonkeys not certain though)
Eldon Hill 1.jpg
Eldon Hill 3.jpg

Few more from an ex driver who worked for the firm for 30 years and retired in 1997.

Shot of a quarry loader in 1970.

You’ve done a great job in tracking these down B.D. :smiley:
Thanks for showing them.