Eh Oh Hato.

Hello you lot me again.

Which one of you lot in the nice pretty Hato mobile on the M3 southbound today had a flat tyre.

Nice to see you pulled over safely with your lights flashing and well over to the left on an extra wide piece of hard shoulder.

I take it though that the relevant risk assessment forms and traing were unavailable to enable you to change your own tyre…

Did it take long for the AA/ RAC/ Tyre fitter to turn up?

I will pip if your still there on the way back up. hope you gave me a wave.

The above post has been made in lighthearted humour. Its not a slaggin.

Haha, we’re not allowed to change tyres on vehicles because we are ‘not trained mechanics’ - or so I understand it.

How’s that for a civil service cutback - wheel brace £10. RAC subscription £■■?

Do you carry a spare?

How much ■■■■ would you have to take out to get at the spare?

To be honest, I’m not really sure what HATO’s do, although I keep applying to join :smiley:

waynedl:
Do you carry a spare?

How much [zb] would you have to take out to get at the spare?

To be honest, I’m not really sure what HATO’s do, although I keep applying to join :smiley:

They are probably too busy to reply to your applications.

I thought they didn’t carry spares cos they would be overweight if they did :wink:

graybo:
I thought they didn’t carry spares cos they would be overweight if they did :wink:

surely thats just the butties, crisps and lack of exercise. :smiley:

I had my second experience of HATOs today on the M6 as some ■■■■■ replaced an air hose on the coach with a section of garden hose which promptly blew yards from J16 and if I hadnt have left a big gap on between me and the artic in front I would have rear ended him :open_mouth:
A big thanks from me to the HATOs who turned up, you kept my “load” of 40 ■■■■■■ up women entertained for a while, and to the fitter who literally saved my life in the nick of time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:
I had my second experience of HATOs today on the M6 as some ■■■■■ replaced an air hose on the coach with a section of garden hose which promptly blew yards from J16 and if I hadnt have left a big gap on between me and the artic in front I would have rear ended him :open_mouth:
A big thanks from me to the HATOs who turned up, you kept my “load” of 40 ■■■■■■ up women entertained for a while, and to the fitter who literally saved my life in the nick of time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Aha, spotted you at the top of the sliproad, well I spotted the horde of females sitting in the field in a big circle having a pow-wow :grimacing:

If there’s one thing I enjoy seeing it’s seeing HATO teaching some lazy posh business man/woman how to change their own wheel, rather than letting them wait around causing traffic chaos and expecting someone else to do it for them :smiley:

BravoGolfCharlie:
Haha, we’re not allowed to change tyres on vehicles because we are ‘not trained mechanics’ - or so I understand it.

Your not allowed to change you own tyres? but you can change tyres on vehicles belonging to the general public, utter madness.

ajdavis64:

BravoGolfCharlie:

~~##

ajdavis64:
Your not allowed to change you own tyres? but you can change tyres on vehicles belonging to the general public, utter madness.

Actually, I think you will find Hato are NOT allowed/supposed to do that for general public either !! :exclamation:

For the same reason Bravo G C mentioned and possible litigation + proportion to blame if something goes wrong or pear shaped (Blame the Americans - I`ll sue your zb s boy – for starting it ,)
ie :- wheel falls off later/wheel studs snap/ threads get stripped on nuts-studs / no torque wrench / incorrectly fitted , whatever ,
Not their role - not trained - not qualified to change wheels , and all for reasons of health + safety. simple as , apparently.

Each man /woman to their own job role.

You wouldnt ask a full time eg:- window cleaner, who has never had wheel tyre fitting training, to come and change your trailers tyres would you :open_mouth: :question: :grimacing:

Hato role is to provide Safety advice - Scene Protection if needed/requested - guidance if suitable - and assistance in aiding a safe resolution i believe is the criteria . So I hear.
Unless of course , someone knows different . :laughing:

trux:
Hato role is to provide Safety advice - Scene Protection if needed/requested - guidance if suitable - and assistance in aiding a safe resolution i believe is the criteria . So I hear.

I thought they just turned up and kept everyone entertained by holding a fancy dress disco party and light show whilst they wait for recovery :grimacing:

Kills me, the silly rules we have to work under. No, we cant change our own or members of the publics wheels as we are not trained. I was an AA man for 17 years before i joined, changed thousands of wheels but i’m not trained!!!

Now you see the stupid rules we work under.

Mick.

Big Joe:

DAF95XF:

Aha, spotted you at the top of the sliproad, well I spotted the horde of females sitting in the field in a big circle having a pow-wow :grimacing:

Yep that was I :blush:
When the mechanic finished the HATO said when your ready I’ll hold the traffic back so you can get back on the motorway, I declined the offer and went down the slip road and back up again :wink:

Big Joe:

trux:

I thought they just turned up and kept everyone entertained by holding a fancy dress disco party and light show whilst they wait for recovery :grimacing:

Yep me too :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ajdavis64:

BravoGolfCharlie:

That’s me sacked "AGAIN :smiley: " for “assisting” the dizzy bin’t yesterday then :confused:

I suppose looking on the bright side she didn’t get smacked so the motorway stayed open :grimacing: and even better no local “recovery agents” passed and bubbled me to “THE MANAGEMENT” :confused: :open_mouth: :imp:

Big Joe:

lol apparently,

Shant be bothering going to those parties then , There`s never hardly any one there , - - + theres no booze , no totty and everyone turns up in the same costume . :laughing:
Now where did you say the next pallet party is ■■ :smiley:

trux:
Actually, I think you will find Hato are NOT allowed/supposed to do that for general public either !! :exclamation:

For the same reason Bravo G C mentioned and possible litigation + proportion to blame if something goes wrong or pear shaped (Blame the Americans - I`ll sue your zb s boy – for starting it ,)
ie :- wheel falls off later/wheel studs snap/ threads get stripped on nuts-studs / no torque wrench / incorrectly fitted , whatever ,
Not their role - not trained - not qualified to change wheels , and all for reasons of health + safety. simple as , apparently.

Each man /woman to their own job role.

You wouldnt ask a full time eg:- window cleaner, who has never had wheel tyre fitting training, to come and change your trailers tyres would you :open_mouth: :question: :grimacing:

IT’s true, there are small risks associated with the fitment of wheels, but you really do have to be a complete bellend to do anything like strip the threads/snap the studs or put the wheel on “incorrectly fitted” (what, inside out?). If it was that dangerous, why would manufacturers give the general public a spare wheel, jack, brace and instructions in the cars owners manual to how to go about changing a wheel in order to get them on their way to the nearest tyre garage?

I’d be very concerned if the bloke in the big flashy light vehicle who’s able to create rolling road blocks, tow people to safety and sit on the hard shoulder to protect stricken vehicles didn’t have enough common sense to change a wheel on a HATO vehicle (car). It’s probably more dangerous to sit on the hard shoulder for an hour or more to wait for recovery, rather than pull as far left as possible and get the wheel changed in 10 minutes and be off. Undoubtedly, there are certain situations where changing a wheel would be too risky, depending on where the vehicles located for example. And of course, to cover your ■■■ you should get it checked immediately by a “trained mechanic” (the same numpties who I’ve seen using wrecking bars to tighten wheel nuts :open_mouth: ) to make sure you haven’t got the wheel inside out or something along those lines. Of course, I’m fairly certain you HATO’s are people with common sense, the ability to read simple wheel-changing instructions if you need to and posess adequate authority over your hands to be able to carry out the job. It’s just a shame the powers above you don’t think of you in the same way!

It’s all about blame and liability of course, and risks blown out of all proportion.

manowar:
It’s all about blame and liability of course, and risks blown out of all proportion.

It’s the civil service! :frowning: Trust me, we fight against the namby-pamby ways on a daily basis. I’ve just had a weekend full of them! :angry: