EGR System - good or bad?

Hi, I’ve got MAN TGX 26.440 tractor unit 11 plate, Euro 5 engine which is very heavy on fuel - 1 gallon per 6.3 miles. I’ ve been to MAN dealer 3 three times and they have done all the diagnostics and said all is ok and working properly. They have checked everything - pump, injectors, all flaps - all working fine but average fuel consumption is 40 litres per 100 km. I have read a lot of posts about it and people said that because of EGR the fuel consumption is high and some of them block the system to get 30% less fuel consumption. Is that true or not - any suggestions? Thank you.

I have run 2 8 wheeler MANs with egr at euro 4 and mid 6s is about what we get at 32 tonnes in pretty hard country, loaded mostly 1 way only. Its a bad way to get the emissions.

I tried blanking the 1 truck but the fuel didn’t improve,it just put an emissions light on.

I think you need to have the egr deleted electronically but I haven’t found anyone to do it.

Pursy

So you haven’t got any difference when blending the truck, did you find any solution?

I dont like paying for adblue but its a definate improvement over EGR, i have had 3 Mans , 2 with EGR and this 3rd now with adblue and the engine seems a lot less stressed, my average mpg on a 50/50 mix of motorways and Scottish hills is anywhere between 8-10mpg

8-10 mpg is it EGR or Ad blue system?

Hi Orel, I think someone’s been misleading you as to what the egr is. Blanking it won’t improve mpg, reliability possibly, or should I say, giving it less of an influence to affect the reliability.
I’d say your taking it to clowns for diagnosis,most mechanics, are fitters at best, they can’t diagnose faults for toffee. You’ve prob spent a ■■■■■■■■ already and got no where. Find someone you trust, someone that gives you confidence he knows what he’s talking about.

Thank you. I have been to MAN, but they are still waiting to decide what is the problem. Meanwhile I have been to another mechanic, but they send me to MAN service and even they do not want to see the truck. I really do not know what I can do. If you know somebody, please let me know.

orel2015:
8-10 mpg is it EGR or Ad blue system?

TGX 540 on adblue

Orel, what sort of work are you doing, ie what weights are you carrying and on what sort of roads.

If you’re in varied country, some hills lots of roundabouts and junctions and over 40 tons regularly then that fuel is probably right…could be worse my mate has a new 440 Daf far heavier on fuel on that sort of running.

Not trying to teach you to ■■■■ eggs so don’t take umbrage at this but have you tried overriding the auto box (if you have one) and driving it manually when loaded, make it work instead of the auto box revving its ■■■■ off, keep the revs between 900 and 1400, in other words when going up the gears change up at 1400rpm, and don’t use the brakes either, i’m serious here use the exhaust brake and gears to slow down and only use the brakes to actually bring it to a halt.

That’s how i drive (we run full 43 tons when loaded) and and my fuel consumption is better than others who leave the auto box to it and drive on the brakes, i also cruise at 82k’s normally @ 1200 rpm locked in 12th manual, very good on fuel at that speed.

Try it for just one day and see how you get on…no offence meant mate, just suggesting what has worked very well for the one i use regularly, you might just be surprised.

chaversdad:
I dont like paying for adblue but its a definate improvement over EGR, i have had 3 Mans , 2 with EGR and this 3rd now with adblue and the engine seems a lot less stressed, my average mpg on a 50/50 mix of motorways and Scottish hills is anywhere between 8-10mpg

Thank you everybody, I tried everything , now they said the problem can be EGR or fuel injections-one of it (or something else).
I made better a driver’s behaviour and the fuel consumption is going a little bit down.
Juddian , thank you.

chaversdad:

chaversdad:

You just cant beat a senior member to get it right , well done " my son " .!!!

Just a thought but have you checked the obvious stuff, tyres, tracking, axle alignment?

orel2015:
Hi, I’ve got MAN TGX 26.440 tractor unit 11 plate, Euro 5 engine which is very heavy on fuel - 1 gallon per 6.3 miles. I’ ve been to MAN dealer 3 three times and they have done all the diagnostics and said all is ok and working properly. They have checked everything - pump, injectors, all flaps - all working fine but average fuel consumption is 40 litres per 100 km. I have read a lot of posts about it and people said that because of EGR the fuel consumption is high and some of them block the system to get 30% less fuel consumption. Is that true or not - any suggestions? Thank you.

ive got 2 on 60 + 62 plate running 44t on tippers your 6.3mpg is good compared 2 mine. Both had EGR manifolds + HP coolers under warranty after started using coolant the 62 at 90,000 km .MAN recently issued a recall on these engines which resulted in the 62 having a bottom end strip still waitin to see about the 60 plate that has had shells in anyway. I would suggest taking your own oil sample immediately and getting it analysed.

orel2015:
Thank you everybody, I tried everything , now they said the problem can be EGR or fuel injections-one of it (or something else).
I made better a driver’s behaviour and the fuel consumption is going a little bit down.
Juddian , thank you.

Drive it yourself first to eliminate driver abuse keep it in the green and anticipate roundabouts and junctions trying not to stop.

Do man diesels have airflow meters,(Maf sensors)?

Deeireland:
Do man diesels have airflow meters,(Maf sensors)?

Not on that engine. The euro 6 engines have supposedly.