ECTC CONVOY 2009 Help please

As many of you will know, i hold a senior postion in The East coast truckers childrens charity. This year sees the convoy reach it’s 24th year of taking underprivilaged children out for the day in an 80 truck convoy on the 30th of August from Norwich to Pleasurewood hills, near Lowestoft and then the return journey in the evening home. The return journey sees us running down the golden mile on Great Yarmouth sea front, a magical spectacle(noisy too) that attracts hundreds of people every year. As with most things in life we have become victims of our own success. The health and safety of the crowds that turn out to see us has now come into question. Even a minor mishap could spell the end of this annual event, which i’m sure you’ll agree would be a great shame. Suggestions have been put forward, the road will be closed to allow safe passage but crowd control still remains an issue. Early thoughts brought the answer of crowd control barriers, this would be a costly exercise and in my opinion not the answer. So, my idea is that we have a group of marshalls (150 ish) that would assist the convoy with its safe passage along the sea front and advise the crowd to step back from the kerb. Ok, the reason for telling you about this? Well, whilst we are quietly confident that we will find 150 volunteers from local clubs/organisations, i felt it would be nice to offer you guys and girls the oppurtunity to offer yr services and play a part in a special day for so many children. Well, its upto you, please don’t feel obliged, not everyone can afford to give up a day of they’re weekend, but i for one, would greatly appreciate yr services and it would be great to involve Trucknet UK members. Give it some thought, share your thoughts with me. Thank you.

Rob,

if i am still in the navy after my med board (should know for definite in about 4 weeks)or even if i’m not and i can get the time off on the monday you can count me and the wife in. (or even if you need a driver for a wagon i will be available)

in fact ■■■■ it, put me and the wife down on the list if you need us, we’ll be there! they WILL give me the time off!

Giblsa:
Rob,

if i am still in the navy after my med board (should know for definite in about 4 weeks)or even if i’m not and i can get the time off on the monday you can count me and the wife in. (or even if you need a driver for a wagon i will be available)

in fact [zb] it, put me and the wife down on the list if you need us, we’ll be there! they WILL give me the time off!

Thanks mate, yr a star!

Likewise here Rob!
Im more than prepared to help where I can, even if its just helping with the marshalling or even driving then I’ll do it… :sunglasses:
August 30th is a Sunday so I shouldnt be at work that day…

Looks like you’ll have a lot of Marshals no Sheriff and how many Indians :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
Ok I know Off and Piddle :wink:

If I could Rob I’d be there alas its just too far :frowning:

what the hey rob, im in :smiley:

ill have the camera with me aswell but then again me and my camera are stuck to each other like glue

ill see if lil hutchie wants to help oot

If i can get up to norfolk on the 30th aug il def help out rob no problem

If nothing changes between now and then on the job front ie I won’t be working that weekend then by all means I’d be up for it, would be a pleasure to help out :smiley:

i’d gladly have helped for this cause, but already know i’m away working, good luck though :smiley:

What marvelous chaps you are! Nick, i understand its a bit of a run from where you are, that and no doubt you’ll be working on the sunday. Gogzy, because of the distance yr going to travel i’ll see if i can find an old garden shed or something to doss down in (if the shed ain’t free you’ll have to rough it in Mr Vain!). But its going to be great to have some of you there. Obviously any help locating digs shouldn’t be a problem. And for those that want to make a weekend of it, we will head into the city for a chinese the night before (bet yr spittin now Nick!) There will be some keepsakes for yr efforts and providing i can get a sponsor there will be an item that will be purely for the marshalls, not even i will have one. Bring yr own Kleenex please, it can be a very emotional day.

i would gladly help u and the guy.s and gal.s at the convoyy any way i can rob

I could come down on the sunday if your short, and give anyone else from Yorkshire a lift courtesey of stolaminnobart.

garden shed or mr vain, im sure i could doss it out, but ill be happy to help out aslong as im allowed to take piccies aswell :smiley:

distance aint much of a problem tbh, though i still need to get round to joining the ectc lol. will get it done soon though.

i’m in rob but you know that mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bump,
Have a great day in Yarmouth and help a good cause, the best show on the road you will ever see.

So the list of the generous and willing so far is

Gibsla (Mr&Mrs),
DAF95XF,
GOGZY,
DOGTHEHUNTER,
GARNERLIVES,
FARMER,
DS074,
LUG84.

Quite a list already, Thanks to Nick, chilistrucker, don’t worry guys, there’ll be other years.

1 free BUMP :wink: sorry mate bit far for me im in st helens would try to make it but my cars just packed up sorry :frowning:

Jeez, Rob, just wish I could be there to help mate!

Unfortuneatly it’s always on the same weekend as our local truck show at Barnard Castle.

If you get realy stuck, I’ll make the journey down to help you & wee Glen ( :laughing: lol) but I will need a special ‘Mention in Despatchs’ :laughing: :sunglasses:

No need for anyone to be sorry, i just thought it would be nice for those that wouldn’t normally be able to attend.

Count me and the wife in for this Rob, we will come down on the friday so a chinese sounds good.

Scottie