ECM Car transporters

Are advertising yet again for drivers.Is there anyone here with inside information on their operation at Thurrock? I’m interested in the job but with them regularly advertising for drivers I’m wondering what’s wrong with the job.Can anybody shed any light on this,cheers!

i know of a few people that have applied and been turned down or just didn’t even get a response.
i would have to think that perhaps they are very picky about who they set on or don’t keep previous applications on file or both.
i don’t hear of anyone leaving them and there was about 12 of them used to run from the same yard as me about 2 years ago and they seemed to enjoy the job, the only complaint i ever heard from them was about the state of the yard for getting a car transporter in and out and one poor bloke had his car battery pinched while he was away all week in the truck.
i would think that the only thing puts most drivers off is the height of the rigs in total especially thos 3 tier wagons and the cab dimensions (all low height with very little space inside and some even have a bit more chopped off too) and the amount of deliveries in towns although it would probably be my choice of work if i had to work uk.

I used to speak to a lad on cb who went to work for them and he seemed to have no complaints. Too much hassle in the job for me, Im afraid. I dont know whether ECM pay for beds at truckstops, but I know some firms do because the cabs are totally unsuitable for spending all week in. I also beleive the pay structure is abit weird, but they`re certainly not badly paid
Regards
Trev

It appears that a lot of the jobs advertised at ECM are to cover the RTD

I dont want to be flitting between trucks for two or three days. If I work for them, I want my own truck and that way you can keep all your equipment in good order.

Also the wages are made up from bonus from fuel, damage free and customer feedback as well as a basic.

The full time jobs advertised in CM seem to have been taken or didnt exist.

A bloke I used to work with went to ECM and they promised him 4 nights out and no weekends.

He ended up doing 6 days and 5 nights, as the trucks and trailers were serviced in Carlisle and he seemed to be there every weekend.

hohum :confused:

They’re all NUTTERS :unamused:

Who drive max speed and weave all over the road

That’s a bit of Outside info for ya :wink: :laughing:

the reason they weave all over the road is they have several tons 14 feet in the air and run on 16 or 17’’ wheels.

It is like driving Mr beans Mini with an armchair on the roof :stuck_out_tongue:

I have an old friend who’s been on for them out of Southampton for what must be a good four or five years now, and he’s still happy enough. He’s out pretty much all week, but then he commutes up the coast from Dorset so that may be by choice.

I haven’t seen him for a bit, but he can be found most nights pint in hand in the Stockyard…from what I can gather they start late and finish early simply because they can only tip when the Dealerships are open. :wink:

Money’s ok too, from what I gather…although he is the type to exaggerate, so I won’t quote figures at you. :open_mouth:

HTH. :grimacing:

Thanks for the replies folks.I managed to collar one of their lads in Clacketts and he was happy enough so I’m going to have a go at it,let you know.

Low height cabs are still as wide as normal or high top — once you’re asleep, does it matter?

And there’s always the boot of a car to use if you need a bit of storage space!

Some of the transporters now run at 16’. Something like 2 drivers a year die from falls.

Loading frosted up cars in a cold, wet and windy dock isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. Nor is unloading/unstrapping roadside in Cities when white van man passes with inches to spare!

Big boys toys stuff — playing around with cars, learning those close running loading paterns and lots of levers to pull and push. There again, some like the comforts of RDC’s and playing with pallet trucks!

Worst bit is trying to find an MSA parking space you can get into, then finding you can’t get out again — the extra length on an 18.5m wag/drag makes a huge difference compared to artic.

Wheel Nut:
I dont want to be flitting between trucks for two or three days. If I work for them, I want my own truck and that way you can keep all your equipment in good order.

Some must keep there own trucks, ive seen a few this week, with the curtains also stuff like flags, name plates in the windows?
Maybe its only on a certain contract.

MAD28:

Wheel Nut:

Some must keep there own trucks, ive seen a few this week, with the curtains also stuff like flags, name plates in the windows?
Maybe its only on a certain contract.

Its not so much the in cab kit that is important, its more to do with the straps, and ratchets. not having sticking spool valves and leaking rams.

A sticking valve caused that pillock to squash an Aston Martin Vanquish :stuck_out_tongue:

The application is in the post> the accompanying letter shows a salary of £29 to £33k

Did you hear about the transporter driver that handed over a Ferrari outside a dealers place. Chap had a good chat, looked the car over and signed the paperwork — then drove off in it!!

A good tip — always lock your cab when working on the back — you’ll need the engine running, so keep a separate door lock key.

And don’t leave keys in the car that’s coming off next — they’ve been known to go missing too!

spaceman:
Did you hear about the transporter driver that handed over a Ferrari outside a dealers place. Chap had a good chat, looked the car over and signed the paperwork — then drove off in it!!

A good tip — always lock your cab when working on the back — you’ll need the engine running, so keep a separate door lock key.

And don’t leave keys in the car that’s coming off next — they’ve been known to go missing too!

That ferrari story seems to have been hushed up a bit. I have asked around the Ontime lads, to see if they had heard who it was. No reply was the answer :stuck_out_tongue:

I heard about it on the radio — Sarah Kennedy, but haven’t been able to find the story on the www.

Have related it to quite a few carmen — has to be the best laugh this year!

I thought it might be OT - bet they’re be laughing when they get there insurance renewal (not)!

Must admit, I do ask for customer ID a lot more than I used to!!!

A mate of mine works for them, They have parking accounts at certain lorry parks ( i.e. ones without a bar!!) If you like being out all week and have no family ties like my mate, the jobs okay. You might be in Scotland one day and Cornwall the next , as long as you dont scratch the lorry or the cars youre carrying you can use your discretion as to which route you take, i.e avoid overhanging tree branches etc.Hope that helps?
cheers,
roy…

Ir was Sarah who told me too :stuck_out_tongue: She had read it from one of the papers, but a search has found nothing.

Last weekend I parked in Ontimes yard and asked around a bit, no one seemed to know anything about it :question: