ebs or abs

When i was given the merc unit in tesco the manager told me the unit or the trailer did not have either ebs or abs cant remember what he said, is it the unit or trailer that has this fitted or both.

on the basis that most trailers are kept a lot longer than units i suspect it was the trailer that didnt have it due to it’s age.

My truck has EBS and my normal trailer has ABS. last week I had a trailer that had acetylene marker lamps, leaf springs and no ABS.

The thing is with a trailer without ABS the warning lamps do not light up, a faulty ABS unit will show a warning lamp though.

My truck also has axle weighing but it cannot give a true reading as the trailer is not wired for EBS

you mean trailers actually come with abs/ebs sockets these days

yes but they are more trouble with abs/ebs since most don’t like “talking” to each other or the old trailer is incompatable to say the least,to the newer units.
and if the leads play up i tend to find it easier to leave unconnected till back at yard.

mark croft:
and if the leads play up i tend to find it easier to leave unconnected till back at yard.

I would be wary of doing this as my understanding is that if both the unit and the trailer have an EBS connector that it’s illegal to drive it without a cable connecting them.

Paul

My truck has EBS and my normal trailer has ABS. last week I had a trailer that had acetylene marker lamps, leaf springs and no ABS.

Well we’ve got a drag with a pair of shafts and a swingletree on the front of it, Springs? what are they, are they what you get with that new fangled suspension idea?:lol:

repton:

mark croft:

I would be wary of doing this as my understanding is that if both the unit and the trailer have an EBS connector that it’s illegal to drive it without a cable connecting them.

Paul

You are correct Paul, It became law in 2002 to use the cable where both parts of the vehicle are fitted with connectors. VOSA will issue an immediate prohibition for a vehicle that has the connectors but the lead is not being used. In turn the issue of that prohibition will be regarded as a failure of the operator’s maintenance system and an investigation could be conducted. It could all end up with the operator being reported to the traffic commissioner.

A driver not using the lead could, in the event of a serious or fatal accident find them self facing prosecution, and in some cases jail.

If both the trailer and the unit have sockets the cable must be used. If the cable is missing that would be no defence against not using it. Using it has to be better than possibly facing a charge of manslaughter

Check this issue of Moving On, the VOSA newsletter for operators for more information.

A VOSA leaflet on the subject is available here.

Both the above documents are in pdf format.

And for those who don’t know how to identify the two systems, look into the ISO socket, if there are only 5 ‘pins’, it is wired for ABS, if there are 7 ‘pins’, it’s wired for EBS.

And do check the ISO cable as a 5 pin cable interconnecting a 7 pin unit & trailer can lead to all sorts of problems.

Its ok if you work for Exel though as they have an exemption certificate from things like this… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

if memory serves me I said till i get back to the yard,then defect BOTH till fixed, or looked at to find fault.

i have noted all the above comments anyway. :smiley:

mark croft:
if memory serves me I said till i get back to the yard,then defect BOTH till fixed, or looked at to find fault.

Whatever your reasons you are still using the vehicle without the lead and if you have an accident on the way back to the yard, you are leaving yourself open to prosecution. Even just being stopped in a control could bring a heap of crap down on you.

jammymutt:
Its ok if you work for Exel though as they have an exemption certificate from things like this… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Glad to hear it’s a company wide thing!

jammymutt:

You must be working for the wrong exel.Our depotAre red hot on all aspects of the law.Even down to bulbs.If your not happy withh your motor and its legality,dont take it out!!!

All our motors are fitted with 7 pin sockets wheter they need them or not.

And the difference between abs and ebs is.You can stop a motor on a 10p piece with abs.But ebs its a 5p piece and no skid marks.Except from the driver behinds pants if he’s not concentrating.

Tony b