EBS/ABS light on DAF '66' late

Any suggestions gratefully received please

We have an intermittant fault. Some days the light doesn’t come on at all, some days it’s on for a short while and some days on all the time

We have tried -
Changing the lead
Swopping trailers (fault is unit based)
Cleaning everything twice and checking pins etc
Updating the software
Checking for water leaks (at one time it only came on when raining)
Checked the wiring loom and put on DAF computer for testing

The garage have had it for 2 days so far and can’t find a fault. They have gone through the action check list from DAF and still not found it. Their only suggestion is to change the ECU at a grand a pop

Any suggestions please? Has anyone else had the same issue?

Check the fuses?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

How well do you get on with your dealer?
If DAF are suggesting the ECU may be faulty , but aren’t sure? Will they remove new one and refund you if it doesn’t cure the fault?

Is the vehicle in the dealers w/shop and they are suggesting ECU or in your own and the diagnosis is over the phone from the dealer? If it is in the dealer then they need to call in the factory field service engineer or Knorr Bremse/Wabco/Haldex etc if they can’t come up with an accurate diagnosis themselves. Chucking parts at it without proof that the actual part IS faulty (even if it is a different fault) has to be at the garage’s expense. If it is in your own then it is probably best to contact the EBS system maker yourselves and ask for assistance on site, which is likely to be cheaper than the dealer because you will get an expert on the system rather than a vehicle tech. If the latter choice then you will need to identify whose system is fitted. Your local motor factor should have a phone number for the relevant company’s technical dept.

We got it back this morning.

The dealer says they can’t replicate the fault so can’t suggest any solution. Helpful huh!

I have a local maintenance guru having a think but will see about getting the details you suggest and contacting them

Thanks all x

The exciter ring isn’t corroded or damaged?

I took it to RP Cherry in Abingdon in the end.

They were Fantastic!!

Called in a retired DAF electrics whizz and and he rang DAF in Holland

Turned out it WAS the ECU but not helped out by the previous dealer wiping all the errors messages. Turns out they are stored on another computer in Holland :laughing:

They got another and fixed it there and then. Lorry now back working it’s arse off. It’s still cost less than previous dealer said so company happy as well

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am grateful

Glad it’s worked out.
And good advert for Cherry.

I can’t recommend them enough. They were fab

Our beloved forum leader was helpful as well and gave me a great contact at DAF. The contact knew the guy who fixed the lorry so shows what a small world this is

Am so grateful to everyone who helped. Thanks all of you