Eaton SAMT - Any still in use?

Does anyone know of any vehicles still fitted with the Eaton SAMT (Semi-Automated-Mechanical-Transmission) - found in some ERFs and MANs.

I’m looking for a SAMT-equipped vehicle to feature in an article - hopefully there are still a few out there!

fryske:
Does anyone know of any vehicles still fitted with the Eaton SAMT (Semi-Automated-Mechanical-Transmission) - found in some ERFs and MANs.

I’m looking for a SAMT-equipped vehicle to feature in an article - hopefully there are still a few out there!

I certainly hope not! The worst automated box I have ever come accross. I had an EC 10 with SAMT, the times it left me in the middle of roundabouts, at traffic lights, junctions, because it would decide it needed to change down to first gear and wouldn’t let you do anything until it had got to first.

Yes- I understand it had its “moments” but need to track one down – dead or alive!

Seem to recall an article in ‘Revs’ magazine (from the ERF society) about one in an E series 14 ltr ■■■■■■■ that a member had and was restoring?

You might want to try Richard Read of Longhope Glos, he had one which i used to drive E821KDF E10 290 i thing they still have it,

Is that a twin splitter?

It was an electronic Twin-Splitter

We ordered an Iveco Eurotech in the early 90’s with one but ended up cancelling it prior to delivery, think the dealer ended up using it as a demonstrator

Jordan Grand Prix used to have 2 of them with 14lt ■■■■■■■■ Olympic cabs, full leather seats etc. Both superb units.

Thanks for the info. guys

Cheers guys - EATON SAMT tracked down!

Hello Ive one of this but its broken! Some one have it? this SAMT-EATON new or used? I wanna buy it Thanks a lot
Andrea

kayvee:

fryske:

I certainly hope not! The worst automated box I have ever come accross. I had an EC 10 with SAMT, the times it left me in the middle of roundabouts, at traffic lights, junctions, because it would decide it needed to change down to first gear and wouldn’t let you do anything until it had got to first.

From memory it’s easy to convert them to manual ? if so I guess that many survivors would have been modified long ago.

ZORBADAGREEK:
You might want to try Richard Read of Longhope Glos, he had one which i used to drive E821KDF E10 290 i thing they still have it,

They closed years ago.

Ken.

But as the post you quoted is from November 2011, they may have still been open. :wink: :laughing: