Eaton fuller

Are many new trucks been made with this manual box any more cause I understand how it works but will be still a bit nervous to drive one for the first time I no most most are auto now but are they still been made with them cheers for any info

Short answer: No.

Whatever you get thrown at you, just get info from another driver or, as most of us did, use your wit to sort it. It really isn’t a huge issue.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You are more likely to come across a 4 over 4 now, even knock overs are getting phased out.

Never quite understood this gearbox fascination malarkey!

No idea what gearbox is in any truck I’ve driven, couldn’t care less either, all I do is see whether it’s manual or auto.

Auto - put it in D and away we go.

Manual - A minute to see if 4/4 or a knock over. Clutch in, quick check each gear can be selected and away we go!

Why wonder what make it is, who cares!

In my very limited experience 3 out of 4 rigids were manual straight six grarbox (and that includes a 65 plated daf), the vehicle i passed my test with John was a slapover.

Yet to see a manual artic unit though

The OP has maybe heard of the joys and delights of a Fuller overdrive box (famously fitted to Fodens and others) and Eaton Twin Splitter (fitted to all sorts of stuff in the 80’s) and these can be a bit of a challenge.

But I agree that it really doesn’t matter what it is; they can all be sorted in a few minutes.

I mentioned before that, up till around 2005 trainers normally used trucks with a “straight” 5 or 6 speed box. The powers that be decided, in their wisdom, that training vehicles should have at least 8 forward gears. And now it’s gone more than full circle and we don’t need gears at all!

But in the period up to 2005, drivers passed tests with a simple gearbox and then hit the real world and sorted themselves out. I don’t believe that new drivers have suddenly become dim and I’m confident they can still sort it out. No=one ever told me how any of these boxes work. No big problems encountered - but I’ll own up to a couple of unexpected finds in the process! No harm done.

I’m not bothered what is thrown it at me I no ill have it sorted when I come across it it’s them 18 speed manual ones that I was wondering about I should of put that just dint no if it would be a bit mind boggling getting one of them for the first time

16 is the normal max. That’s a range change (normally 4 over 4) plus a splitter on each gear. 2 switches of some description on the gear stick/knob. No need to use all the possible ratios and you will find out the best system of gear changing according to weight, power, gradient etc etc remarkably quickly. And, if you make a mistake, put it right and no-one’s marking a sheet at the side of you.

It all builds experience and this is to be relished.

Cheers Pete I can’t wait to get on with it

If you want to impress the ladies you can tell them it’s an 18 speed if you include the crawler gear and it has a split.