Eaton 16 speed swap for twinsplitter

Does anyone know what’s involved in converting an erf ec11 from synchro box to a twinsplitter?

It might get a bit involved if you are going to get the inertia brake working , and it might be an idea to check the diff ratio before you start . Will make a good lorry of it though !! Geoff

If it’s a tso then it will be higher in top than the 16 sp by around 150 revs you will need to have a new front prop made as the tso is shorter than the 16 sp,Paul mason at Geartech is the man .

Ah! I didn’t think about the clutch brake!! The reason I ask is that I’ve been offered a pair of ec11s straight out of work, one is r reg, 6 wheel midlift, Olympic cab , on low profile tyres and much tidier with extra deep bumper and foglights, BUT… Its a 16 speed. The other is a p reg Olympic 4x2 that’s seen a lot more action but was in work up until 3 months ago and has a twinsplitter. I was thinkin along the lines of buying both and swapping gearboxes and bits to make the r reg my ideal truck to keep for shows and pulling my stuff around

There is no clutch brake on a twin splitter same as there’s not one a 16 sp synchro ,the switch / air pipe that allows the change on a 16 sp when bottoming the pedal can be used to operate the up shift brake in the twin split box ,the 16 sp had 3 pipes up the stick which can be used for the twin split too .

Thanks Dan, just hard to know what to do, whether its going to be worth it or not. I want a twinsplitter whatever so have to have a good think

Whilst you got the box out do your self a favour and put a organic clutch in .

Dans given you good advice, Have changed 16sp for Twin Splitter on numerous occasions, pretty straightforward job, longer prop needed ,gearlinkage is the same just fit the Twin split gear stick top only use 3 pipes , ( 4 on 16sp ) simplest way with the clutch brake is to get the clutch pedal valve off a scrap moter take the blank plug out of pedal housing and screw it in . Any probs give us a shout .

I’d be interested to see how this goes
I have recently bought a 4 wheel Olympic, also on a R reg, also with the 16 spd ZF,
but it needs a bit more work & bits than I first thought,
The split is not working & looks like the pipework has been messed about with

Gaz0203:
Ah! I didn’t think about the clutch brake!! The reason I ask is that I’ve been offered a pair of ec11s straight out of work, one is r reg, 6 wheel midlift, Olympic cab , on low profile tyres and much tidier with extra deep bumper and foglights, BUT… Its a 16 speed. The other is a p reg Olympic 4x2 that’s seen a lot more action but was in work up until 3 months ago and has a twinsplitter. I was thinkin along the lines of buying both and swapping gearboxes and bits to make the r reg my ideal truck to keep for shows and pulling my stuff around

Did you buy these then??