eating whilst driving....

Anyone know if there is an official law on munching whillst driving?

Whenever I’m on a break I’m either having a nap or getting a shower so don’t have time to eat and tend to munch whilst driving. Nothing extravagant just sandwich etc, stuff that’s easy to hold.

Today I passed a polish truck going north on M6, did the casual glance over as I went past and to my surprise saw a stove on the truck floor (a 4 series scania with the high cab floor) and the driver with a saucepan in one hand, spoon in the other and steering with his knees…obviously this isn’t legal is it? Never mind totally bonkers!! I don’t fancy spilling hot soup all over my crotch…

If it was spag bol it was definitely illegal :wink:

I saw a driver doing exactly the same, but also on his mobile phone and watching the telly :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t suppose it’s illegal, don’t think there is a specific law, but they could definitely do you for dangerous driving.

I like too cook pancakes it’s great fun trying to peel them off the roof while driving.

kr79:
I like too cook pancakes it’s great fun trying to peel them off the roof while driving.

Maybe in an fm, but not in a mega space :confused:

kr79:

Sugar and lemon?

On Monday I was on the M62 heading west J31-29 when I pass J30 and a car joins the motorway and pulls across my front and joins lane 2, nothing unusual about it, until I spot the bowl of breakfast cereal on the drivers lap and a spoon in his left hand

Leaving yerself open to a due care and attention easy nick i would have thought.

Keep yer mincers peeled for plod and don’t get caught and hide the butty between gobfuls…see i can never understand those blokes that hold a mobile phone to the lug hole right beside the drivers window…taking the P out of plod by doing that (take the P and they will get P’d off, i would), same goes for munching, if they can’t see you they won’t know to nick you.

Keep eyes peeled for solo tractor units too whilst doing the meals on wheels shuffle.

sydeakinwoods:

Whenever I’m on a break I’m either having a nap or getting a shower so don’t have time to eat and tend to munch whilst driving. Nothing extravagant just sandwich etc, stuff that’s easy to hold.

Today I passed a polish truck going north on M6, did the casual glance over as I went past and to my surprise saw a stove on the truck floor (a 4 series scania with the high cab floor) and the driver with a saucepan in one hand, spoon in the other and steering with his knees…obviously this isn’t legal is it? Never mind totally bonkers!! I don’t fancy spilling hot soup all over my crotch…

Where was his can of lager?

didnt the police use a helicopter to catch a woman eating a kitkat whilst driving , cost a few grand and was all over the papers at the time.i think she got 3 points and a fine 2 or 3 years ago IIRC

Has anyone ever been done for ‘masticating in plain sight’ when a plod car passes by the driver’s window? :confused:

Winseer:
Has anyone ever been done for ‘masticating in plain sight’ when a plod car passes by the driver’s window? :confused:

No, I always managed to tuck the old chap in before he got spotted!

44 Tonne Ton:

sydeakinwoods:

Where was his can of lager?

Looked like a bottle of sobieski in his cup holder…

A lorry driver caught steering with his knees while he ate spaghetti from a pan has been jailed for eight weeks after he admitted dangerous driving.
Martin Veens was spotted driving his left-hand 40-tonne truck erratically on the A55 road near Northop, Flintshire

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6764859.stm

Harry Monk:

A lorry driver caught steering with his knees while he ate spaghetti from a pan has been jailed for eight weeks after he admitted dangerous driving.
Martin Veens was spotted driving his left-hand 40-tonne truck erratically on the A55 road near Northop, Flintshire

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6764859.stm

I was surprised at how straight said polish chap was managing to keep the truck!!

Hello Sy…

If I recall back, It is most DEF illegal, as you are supposed to have to hands on the wheel. That said chewing whilst driving improves concentration and can prevent tiredness. I know from a mate, that the police in Avon / wilts have a car with a camera mounted on a pole , which records what we - as truck drivers are doing. I think the case here is one of an invisible line in the sand. What constitutes dangerous driving? Clearly cooking with a wok or a frying pan on a gas stove would be down right madness. Although trying to cook Popcorn in a saucepan, without putting the lid on, now that would be testing…

peirre:
On Monday I was on the M62 heading west J31-29 when I pass J30 and a car joins the motorway and pulls across my front and joins lane 2, nothing unusual about it, until I spot the bowl of breakfast cereal on the drivers lap and a spoon in his left hand

He was probably a cereal offender.

Tiger.

lightning:
I know from a mate, that the police in Avon / wilts have a car with a camera mounted on a pole , which records what we - as truck drivers are doing

Virtually the whole of the motorway network is covered with CCTV, they watch us all day.

What about drinking from a bottle of water whilst driving ? Most folks do that.