Easy Money on the Agency

Yet again turned up at another client, When agency told me it was a insulation distributor I knew how it would pan out.

Class 2 truck curtainsider… with plaster board stacks and rolls of insulation plus some pallets, but no straps :unamused:

I then ask for straps, TM wont give straps because it damages the product. I then ask how can I secure the load to take out. Apparently the curtain can hold it in the TM said :laughing:

It was not even marked up load bearing.

Anyway I was there for 25mins then told I wasnt suitable, agency told me to go home and I got paid 8hrs. Cheers easy.

Before you all say I wont get work/paid by agency I have been with them 9year and been tasked all next week!

result :sunglasses:

commonrail:
result :sunglasses:

I dont want acknowledgement, I want flaming for being a jobsworth :wink:

The health and safety card plays both ways guys!

Methinks they should get a more suitable truck.

Tarrman:
Methinks they should get a more suitable truck.

Myself thinks you are exactly right!

Load of ■■■■■■■■ about not being able to strap! I worked for Pilkington in the eighties,and we put empty pallets on top and strapped over those. Nothing ever moved or got damaged. I would have walked before someone told me I wasn’t suitable… Cheeky gits.

Should report them to VOSA, after all it’s up to the employers to supply the correct load restraint.

maybe some of these company bosses & managers should have to do a management ‘load restraint’ dCPC course as well :smiling_imp:

i’m sure lots of drivers get narked off with out of touch TM’s who testiculate the how’s & why’s of a job they dont actually do :unamused:

Wish there were more like you out there mate. Well played.

Do all goods on pallets have to be strapped by law ? Or is it drivers discretion if thay think thay might be liable to move ? It’s just lorrys turn up all the time at my work with pallets that aren’t strapped.

Vosa definition: if the load is “likely” to become dangerous then they can do you for it. The thing is that they don’t have to prove it.

personally I would argue it in court.

Yes, there’s an argument that goes “A good driver with an unstrapped load load is safer than an ordinary driver with a load strapped to the hilt”.
If you roll-crash a wagon strapped 100% correctly, you’re still gonna spill it all over the road. If you don’t crash a load that’s unsecured, you didn’t have the accident in the first place. :wink:

Of course, the paradox is that “Can a “good driver” BE someone that drives unsecure and overweight loads in the first place?”

What about the use off plastic corners for the plasterboard.

Bigvern and jd are right pallets on top or edge protectors can be used. I used to do paper reels and edge protectors done the trick on them.

chester:
Anyway I was there for 25mins then told I wasnt suitable, agency told me to go home and I got paid 8hrs. Cheers easy.

Before you all say I wont get work/paid by agency I have been with them 9year and been tasked all next week!

Only because its a busy time of year. Pull that stunt too often and you’ll find the phone strangely quiet from September to November and January to April.

All loads should be secured & restrained on-board curtainsiders. It’s not just about the curtains ‘bearing the weight’, if the unrestrained load shifts:
A) Someone has to open the curtains & risks getting injured by a bulging/falling load.
B) The characteristics of the vehicle may be affected by a bulging load/curtain such as axle weights and possible suspension & braking issues.

Curtains are for weather protection only. Curtainsiders should be considered as flatbeds as far as restraining the load is concerned.

jrt:
Do all goods on pallets have to be strapped by law ? Or is it drivers discretion if thay think thay might be liable to move ? It’s just lorrys turn up all the time at my work with pallets that aren’t strapped.

Been law since 1988 I think, unless you have load baring curtains.

Conor:
Only because its a busy time of year. Pull that stunt too often and you’ll find the phone strangely quiet from September to November and January to April.

Check out the date that this topic was started on.

Conor:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Would your post suggest that some drivers would take what VOSA thinks are unsafe loads out, in case they go to the bottom of the agency list, if the driver was to bring it to the attention to TM that the driver would need some restraints or else they would not move at all.