Eastern bloc Story

good read :smiley:

Great story, well told. A lot of guys got into some horrific incidents and survived only to meet a meaningless end later on. It doesn’t take away from what happened to Barry though.

Jeff…

Was running back from the middle east when i met a few other english drivers on their way home…one of the trucks was a daf 2800 who seemed to be using more oil than fuel…although a lot was being left on the roadside whenever we stopped…i had met these drivers on the Bulgarian/Romanian border at Russe or (Ruse) as its known in BG…and decided to run back together…the driver of the said Daf was called Barry ( no fingers) (since deceased) who was doing a one off as a 2 driver job for a favour, as he had a Volvo F88 american conversion back in London…anyway we got through customs and headed across Romania but when we reached the motorway (the only one in Ro) services just outside Bucharest the old daf started to struggle…and it was decided to tow it…we lacked a tow bar and sent one of the local gypsy kids to go and get a bar and have welded on it a towing eye on each end…while he was gone it was decided to take off the propshaft…so Barry being a very competent mechanic got underneath to take of the bolts…we stood around waiting as you do, having a beer, and a chat, when barry signalled that all the bolts were off but the prop is tight, and it wouldnt move…so in his wisdom decided to get someone to start the engine and hope that the spin would free it, however i was nearest to the cab door, so i got in, started the engine, and only then did i notice the air buzzer going off, well there was some horrible screaming noises coming from all around the truck, and lots of shouting for me to turn the engine off, which i couldnt cos it didnt have enough air, and a daf is normally very slow to build air at the best of times…more screaming was coming from all directions, calling me all the names.i was shaking , but couldnt move cos my foot was struggling to keep the clutch pedal down, it turns out that the prop was rolling around barrys face , neck, and shoulders…i dreaded to think what he looked like…eventually the air built up sufficiently to turn the engine off…i literally ruined my trousers (jeans) and because there was sufficient help around to look after Barry i went to my truck to get washed and changed and left the ruined jeans next to the rubbish bin whilst i went to see how barry was, luckily there was a doctor and a nurse coming out of the services as the accident had happened and they quickly stoped to offer their help…they wanted barry to go to hospital but he declined, because we had all heard the horror stories about Romanian hospitals and the fact they used the needles more than once…however he was bandaged up and resembled a mummy…but he was talking, and joking after a while, whereby we continued to the next town (Pitesti) and stripped the two tilts down…loaded one inside the other, took as many bits of the old daf before leaving the remainder to the Romanian scrap merchants…and continued on our way back to the uk.we did of course make up the time lost, and barry made a full recovery and continued the middle east run until he got married again, and fell off a balcony in malaga whilst on holiday and sadly died…the jeans were stolen by a gypsy as they were a sought after item…but not i doubt that particular pair…

Great story Bob, although not too great for Barry. You know I think I may have seen a driver wearing those jeans. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Great story Bob, although not too great for Barry. You know I think I may have seen a driver wearing those jeans. :wink:

I’ve seen him too Neil,down at Carisio,with a T-shirt to match! :unamused:

Great story as said above and very sad what
happened to Barry.

A well writen story, and I wish also say sorry to hear about Barry.s

sad end.