East European lorries of the post-war years

There were loads of different makes, from all over the Eastern Bloc. IIRC, the only ones available to buy in GB were Roman, for a short period in the 1970s. Does anyone have any experience of vehicles built the “other” side of the Iron Curtain?

I found this video from 1989:
youtube.com/watch?v=ghWMW25sXOU
This one, from last year, references the earlier one:
youtube.com/watch?v=6T7H5bOB_DU

The first one shows engineers working at drawing boards, but all of the engineering on show is German- the cabs on the lorries are NGs, and the machine tools in the factory are from a town near Stuttgart. The video even shows SK Mercs towards the end, while the “home” product contains the earlier parts. It is as if they have accepted that Western engineering is superior, so are happy to boast that their products contain it, whether or not they have the outdated technology.

Thank you for the shift, Anorak!! Great bits of film - reminiscent of the film loops that used to play on exhibitors’ stands at motor shows. Here is a proper FAP in action! Robert

These IFA lorries were ubiquitous in East Germany, even after the fall of the wall. They were very slow and we used to say that IFA stood for ‘In Front Again!’. Robert

5aca2c9a48b38a180d07003755769cb5.jpg

I remember these old Skodas coming up the A2 from Dover in the late '60s, mostly in the livery of CSAD of Czechoslovakia. They were particularly memorable because they chuffed as they went, sounding as if the air-reservoir required venting as soon as it reached capacity every few seconds. No doubt someone will come up with a logical answer to beat my guesswork! Robert

robert1952:
I remember these old Skodas coming up the A2 from Dover in the late '60s, mostly in the livery of CSAD of Czechoslovakia. They were particularly memorable because they chuffed as they went, sounding as if the air-reservoir required venting as soon as it reached capacity every few seconds. No doubt someone will come up with a logical answer to beat my guesswork! Robert

Hey Robert, I think you mean that the overpressure valve continued constantly opened and closed ■■?
For those one were that common, the French had the same valves as Unic and some other.
It did the whole way as it was conpletely full with air psst psst psst.
That was normal but irritating.
Hopefully it was helpful ■■
Eric,

tiptop495:

robert1952:

Hey Robert, I think you mean that the overpressure valve continued constantly opened and closed ■■?
For those one were that common, the French had the same valves as Unic and some other.
It did the whole way as it was conpletely full with air psst psst psst.
That was normal but irritating.
Hopefully it was helpful ■■
Eric,

Yes! Thank you, Eric! :laughing: Robert

Hey, That were the first i saw still in a green livery, was surprised that Skoda made trucks.
That was the first COE model they made.
The second pic looked like it was made of a bus.
Eric,