East coast truckers childrens conviy (with pics)

yesterday, 80 trucks congregated at norfolks county hall at norwich for the 21 annual childrens convoy. for anyone who does’nt know anything about it, we take disabled and disadvanted kids to pleasurewood hills theme park for the day, and then parade back via greay yarmouths seafront. personally it is my favourite day of the year, and really makes you proud to be a truck driver! the streets of norwich are lined,as is every layby bridge and small turn off on the A47 en route across to pleasurewood hills, it really is unbelievable just how many people turn out to wave us all on. many people even plan their holiday to see the convoy! year after year a lot of the same people turn out, and have even made banners to show their support, elderly people at residential homes come outside (sometimes in fancy dress!!) to wave us on, it really makes you so proud!
anyway, for the day i had andrew, a 12 year old with autism, and his mum. he is naturally shy, but we could tell he loved the day, and on the way back after yarmouth seafront, he was constantly giggling!! it was his first year on the convoy, but im sure he will be back!
the great thing about the convoy is that it has the full support of the council and the police. the police outriders who ■■■■■■ the convoy and direct all the traffic are on their day off, and like the drivers, give up their time to help on this wonderful day

right, here are a few pictures of the day…

ready for the off from norwich at 10am sunday morning. everyone leaves in convoy, and does a lap round the carpark past the vips for the day.

people on route waving us along…

once we got to pleasurewood hills, off we went to the rides. we went on the carousel, helter skelter, saw a parrot show and had some dinner before the kids had a show put on for them. i left andrew and his mum to watch the show while i darted to get a few snaps of the trucks that were new on the convoy this year…

Stunning Paul arthurton contingent are always immaculately turned out, and are a real credit to the drivers and paul himself

dannis well turned out volvo, which spends its days working on greene king

winner of the best presented truck this year

leader of the convoy and main organiser, glenn johnson

once the show was over, it was head off again, again the crowds were out in force to cheer and wave us on

and finally a picture of me and andrew in front of the truck i borrowed for the day (big thankyou to my old boss james harvey for that)

the pictures just do not do justice to how many people were out to support this event, it has to be seen to be believed! the seafront alone must have at least 10,000 people there on the golden mile :open_mouth:
we headed back to norwich, where the kids were collected by their parents, and were given a goody bag each to remember the day by (not that they are likely to forget it in a hurry!!) and the drivers are given a presentation for their help. also this year, one child who is on the convoy asked for money for his birthday this year instead of presents!!

i hope you have enjoyed reading this and seeing the pictures of the day. if you would like more information on the club/charity, please visit www.eastcoasttruckers.org, and even better, become a friend of the charity or make a donation to help the convoy take place (even if just 1 person reads this and does so, that will be great!!)

Fantastic stuff!!

Makes a fantastic change from all the doom and gloom!

TC

Absolutely Fantastic. It’s nice to see at a time when transport isnt the nicest place to be that drivers will still happily give up their free time to take disadvantaged children on a day out that will stay with them forever.

thank you and all those who took part
its great to see kids laughing and haveing
a good time, great photos as well.

Brilliant stuff :exclamation: A much needed piece of good PR for truckers. Great to know the kids had a good day out, well done to all those invoved :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

excellent stuff - always thought it was a wonderful idea but never joined in :blush:

jj72:
excellent stuff - always thought it was a wonderful idea but never joined in :blush:

you really have missed out on some truly amazing days out then! well perhaps a donation to the charity to keep it going then?.. (i had my chest waxed earlier in the year, raised £205 pounds, but my life did that hurt! :open_mouth: )

absolutely fantastic great pics .glad you had a fine day. as previously said makes a refreshing change from all the doom and gloom certainly brightened the childrens day something they wont ever forget
good on you and all that took part

this was the picture i meant to post of me and andrew in front of the truck…

Nice one mat, and bob said thanks for cleaning his lorry!!

euromat:
this was the picture i meant to post of me and andrew in front of the truck…

Glad you did that - I was wondering about your frilly sleeves in the original photo :laughing: :laughing:

Great pics and looks like a really good day out for all.

Glad to see a good time had by all,sure good to see some good news and great pics thanks and regards derek

kindle530:
Nice one mat, and bob said thanks for cleaning his lorry!!

i know, its about time it had a wash :open_mouth: :laughing:

good to see some neighbourly/community stuff still happens,
well done

Superb stuff! should happen more often and in different parts of UK, give support to those less fortunate but just as deserving.

:smiley: what a grate day you must have had its brill doing things like that for kidds i agree should be done moor offten :smiley:

Nice pictures its nice to see a great day was had by all especially the kids I bet it gives a nice warm feeling inside to see their little faces light up well done :smiley:

I was wandering if a bloke called craig who used to work for W H Betts based at march still has anything to do with it he used to drive an old 111 scania for W H Betts about 10 years ago it would be now I think?

my little 6 year old nephew is autisic and anything to help him and the charities that help the cause is amazing great pics and a great day out wish it happened in my part of the country we can all but dream