Easiest stress free job

bowser:

Saaamon:
I’ll probably get shot down for this, but why are you specificly after an easy job? If you can drive as well as you reckon you can do something interesting. Drivers that trunk do it because its all they can do :wink:

he probably wants an easy job because he’s a lazy git just like alot of drivers , if he is he’ll take to trunking like a duck to water … just like me :wink:

I spose it depends on the reasons why you do this job really, im doing it for the experience, something i’ve always wanted to do etc, not for the money. But for those who do it for a means to an end trunking is ideal.

Saaamon:
I’ll probably get shot down for this, but why are you specificly after an easy job? If you can drive as well as you reckon you can do something interesting. Drivers that trunk do it because its all they can do :wink:

Maybe hes got his head screwed on properly and realises he doesnt have to slog his nuts off to earn a living. I dont think any of us work because we like it?

Thanks for those really helpful replies. That why I like this site.

The reason I wrote the post was to get an idea of what class 1 jobs are out there and one that would ease me in slowly as a newly qualified driver. My only experience of class 1 work is seeing other drivers reversing onto bays at depots or passing me by on a motorway.
As I said I’ve been doing class 2 work since passing my test in March 2012 and yes some with the Co-op. So I’ve been driving rigids for 8 months. The one thing I will say is that I have learned so much in that time as well as gaining some much needed experience. I’m at the point now where I just want something that pays better and is easier that rolling cages on and off wagons for the rest of my working life. I spent 8 years in the Army working me ■■■■ off, so I just want something less stressful. That why I’m going to do my class 1.

While I’m on this subject I know it can be hard for newly qualified drivers to get work, so I’m going to submit a new post called “NEWLY QUALIFIED DRIVER WORK” to try and get some advice and tips. Either that or ill just cry if I can’t get work once I hopefully pass.
Thanks
OTTS

I wouldn’t waste my money if I were you mate.

Until you’ve held the class 1 for a minimum of 18-24 months next to no-one will let you anywhere near an artic.

I was in a similar position to you at the start of the year, but I was a pretty experienced class 2 driver (bout 8 yrs)… did the co-op too for a few years on and off… started getting sick of multi-drop/handball… thinking the grass would be greener on the other side with a class 1… etc… etc…

It isn’t.

In reality, here’s what will happen… You’ll be roughly a grand down, and still stuck doing what you’re doing now for at least 2 years. :unamused:

My advice - from experience - save your money. Maybe buy yourself or a family member something nice with it this Christmas. Trust me, it’ll be much better spent.

Thats why in doing some research to find out what its like. Mind you, I was told pretty much the same thing before doing me class 2. I know Eddie Stobarts take on new drivers so I think thats worth looking at.

Thanks

OTTS

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do. I know how you feel, but I think you ought to know the realities of what you’ll likely be facing after spending all the money… especially if it’s gonna be a big commitment for you.

I wasted a lot of money on my class 1 and ADR thinking that would be my ticket out, maybe into tankers or something else, and a lot of what you said reminded me of the rose-tinted glasses I was also wearing at the time.

Fast-forward to the end of the year… it’s just a kick in the teeth. I may have my C+E and ADR now, but it’s meaningless. Reality: Still stuck on agency doing what I was doing before. Still class 2 ■■■■ rates. Still the same ■■■■ jobs. Still being treated like ■■■■.

Super markets and stobarts take on newly qualified drivers. A lot of firms do, you do have to have a bit of luck and you may have to make yourself known to companies by repeatedly calling or dropping in to show your keen. Don’t listen to all the negative stuff people say everyone has a different journey as a class one driver :wink: If youre flexible in your working demands to get two years under your belt and you realise it’s unlikely but not impossible to walk straight in to a job then go for it. I’ve come off artics now for much better wages but I graft m if you really want to drive for a living follow your heart and be prepared to get the door shut in your face :slight_smile:

I think you are spot on. When I was at the Co-op I asked class 1 drivers how they got taken on thier first job. I was told you just lie. You pass you class 1. Drive class 2 for 12 -18 months. Apply with agencies for class 1 work and tell them that youve been doing class 1 work cos they dont check. When I said thats lying I got laughed at.

Thanks

OTTS