earnings

B1 GGK:
Reading the above is why I wouldnt mind a crack Euro work, But people say I am mad for thinking it,
But who in the North West (I am in Manchester) does Euro work?

I don’t know who in the Manchester area does it but I have met a few lads driving for firms in the area. You could try a little further afield too, as you’ll be gone for a week or more, its not like commuting is an every day event.

Your not mad for wanting to try it, your just showing a more adventurous side that sadly lacks in the vast majority of drivers in this country and people in general. If you don’t mind being away for atleast a week, quite likely more, and want to experience something more from your job other than constant hassle we get here from every angle then do your best to go for it, you have nothing to lose and if you dont like it, so what, atleast you’ve given it a go.

Harry Monk:
(snipped for brevity)

I would last about a week as a shopping trolley driver…

That’s what I thought but it took just a week to get used to being home every night after years of being away all week or more. Not a night out in 6 years and now I walk out of any job that even sniffs of a possible night out.

Money was good in the '80s, then dropped dramatically when the borders opened up. Left company for an agency and better money doing UK and got chased by the company so returned to Europe on the agency. WOW! Every hour worked on a timesheet, overtime after 8 hours and always left the yard on a Sunday with those immortal words of a manager ringing in the ears ‘run as far as you can’. Double time on Sunday and told to run as far as possible? Only 15’s I ever did, especially as the late finish meant a late start and usually an early finish on the following day. Used to earn on Sunday half what I used to get before and still had 5 days to go. Even better was the 8 hours at 1.5 and 8 hours at 2 times when weekended for Saturday and Sunday! Mega money! Now, living at home instead of in a box on wheels, whereever that box is, and it beats being away 100%.

I don’t know who in the Manchester area does it

Stobarts, Warrington?

Driveroneuk:

Stobarts, Warrington?

Now to be found at appleton thorne just off the lymm exit of the m6

JB:

Driveroneuk:

Stobarts, Warrington?

Now to be found at appleton thorne just off the lymm exit of the m6

Hmmm…whilst I’m no expert on Eddie Stobart, I’d have thought that working for them would involve just as much ball ache and hassle doing European as it does doing just UK with their never ending rules, regulations, paperwork and such like that all large British companies thrust onto drivers. For me, one of the best parts of going abroad is the relaxed and more care free life I can live in my truck, obviously there are still tons of rules and regs but I dont have to listen to dozens of “HGV operatives” who bang endlessly on about doing nights out, over 10hrs a day and the WTD, so Eddie Stobarts would be the last guys on my list, but maybe I’m wrong, who knows.

Meanwhile, I’m shipping out to Germany next week, which is a change from the usual Swiss work. I’m ready for it too, after a week doing flaming UK work! :smiley:

I live in Malaga and drive international for a Spanish firm (no ADR or fridges).

My wage is 1000 Euro per month paid into the bank plus 12 cents per Km.

After tax and having done 3 trips per month my take home is usually about 2500 Euro.

In Spain we only get taxed on the “Nomina” or basic 1000, everything on Kms is looked upon as bonus and not taxed, additionally we get paid 14 times a year - an extra month in the summer and an extra month at Navidad (Christmas) I have elected to have the extra split into monthly extra payments.

We dont however get night out money and such like, although I do get paid holidays.

To get a real picture of how good(or bad) the wages are then dont convert to GBP or the UK cost of living - it has to be looked at from the point of view of the Spanish cost of living.

Is it any good for me? Basically yes. My family live well, I eat well when Im away, and without being too tight we save about 800 Euros per month.

Most trips are about 7 - 9 days away with usually about 4-5 nights at home and a 48 hr break after each trip.

That sounds like an ok number Hombre, do you have this FIMA thing in Spain or is that just France?

Lulu
The first hurdle is FIMO ,Formation Initial Minimum Obligatoire, some French employers will employ you if you have held a continous licence for 5 years ,if not it obligitory to do FIMO (and its in French )

The next one is FCOS, Formation Continue Obligatoire de Securite, 3 day course every 5 years covering general road safty,current regulations with Attestation issued on succesfull compleation again this is conducted in French.

Thanks Kerbut useful info, sorry got the fimo bit wrong. Am thinking of approaching a couple of companies to see if they can use me to do shunting in the yard, just to get back into things and improve me language skills. The governor in the local bar knows a guy who runs a biggish truck company, so he gonna have a word for me.

Would anyone have a copy of the course and or test example of the FCOS that they could send me please?

jayseabea:
Would anyone have a copy of the course and or test example of the FCOS that they could send me please?

Sorry can’t help with that mate but it’s dead easy. All the questions are in French but multiple answers, just tick the right box, and if you have enough experience to qualify to take it in the first place, you’ll know all the answers. If your French isn’t too good, do what my neighbour did to me, and copy his answers. :unamused:
The rest of the time is spent laughing joking and watching reconstructions of horrible smashes involving chaps in old Renaults going down that big bank near Clermont in top gear without bothering with the retarder. The reconstruction was quite realistic, but not as realistic as the actual footage of the aftermath as they searched through all the bits to find the bits that were human. :open_mouth: Then a talk about how you must change down and use the retarder. But you know all that 'cos you’re an experienced driver, right? :wink:
But by far the most serious business of the day is discussing which routier you are all going to at lunchtime - a time only surpassed by the time spent eating it all. :laughing:
If it wasn’t for the fact that it costs around €400 and now retired with no-one to pay it for me this time, I’d sign up again for next year for when mine runs out. Just for the craic. :wink: :laughing:

Excellent, thanks for that, Spardo. Me and the missus are retiring early to the SW between Cahors and Agen and I was hoping to get some work in the area.
I don’t suppose you know of any firms in the area? :confused:
I’m quite confident with the language but which bit of bureaucracy would I have to get in touch with to do the course? So many questions, so little time… :smiley:

Hi Jayceabea.
Like you I’m new to this site.
Had a quick look & the nearest AFT.IFTM(a firm that does these courses)
to Agen/Cahors is at Bordeaux Tel 05 57 77 24 77.
I looked at FORGET & CEF other fims that do theese courses, but nothing in that area.
You’ll love France,been here 20years.

In our area (22) there is a company called Prodiholm who do it.

Bit tardy with this, but welcome Jayseabea and you too DaveL. Your right Dave, AFT-IFTIM is who I went with.
On the back of my FCOS it lists the regional centres, but the one Dave mentions in Bordeaux was mine.

Excellent, many thanks fellas (if indeed you are fellas) :blush:
AFT-IFTIM, Prodiholm, FORGET & CEF…are these government agencies or freight companies doing their bit for the industry?

They are driving schools but they also do different courses to do with transport.
ADR,FIMO,FCOS,forklift licence,the works.I went on a course once to get points back on my licence.

I know this topic has moved from its initial tack, but can anyone of our Fronglaisphone colleagues tell me whether you need the mentioned qualifications to set-up as an operator in France?

Who governs this? I didn’t think there is anything like VOSA if France, although I did ‘spend’ some money last week with a nice man who was from a ministry - and he wasn’t a man of the cloth!

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone is in 44 or 49 , and can offer some guidance on the ground it may be worth talking further.

Paul

Just checked with my boss & he says to go to the Direction Regionale de L’ Equipement(DRE) in your department. They will help you with any questions.
It is they who issue the authorisation de transport,you willl also need about 14,000euros disposable capital. He is not sure about the CPC (mine was issued in 1986 eec directive 74/561) but to take it with you as it IS an eec recognised certificate. Maybe a translation would help.