Dvsa trailer plating certificate

Hi guys,

Quick one, been asked to move a couple of trailers with live loads today, brand new but neither of them have a ministry plate on. I know they wont have an mot as they are new but is it a legal requirement that they have a the dvsa registration plate (plating certificate) on before they are used on the road?

Not a problem…As they are new trailers you won’t of got the plate certificate for it yet…Still waiting for mine to be put in my new unit…Been 4 weeks now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If I remember rightly (but probably wrong), the anomaly is that the Plate has to be affixed within 3 years of manufacture, However, they wont test it without one, so in reality has to be affixed within 12 months of first use.

The interesting thing is, It (the trailer) could be manufactured in, say January, Purchased in, say May, but not put into service until August - So would not have to be tested until the following August !!

If it’s purchased in may it needs testing by the end of the following may
Regardless of When it’s put into service !

Moose:
If it’s purchased in may it needs testing by the end of the following may
Regardless of When it’s put into service !

I stand corrected - looks like the legislation changed 29th October 2012

New requirements for trailers entering into service
Under the new regulations, final suppliers of large goods trailers will need to apply to VOSA, which has delegated authority from the Secretary of State, for permission to supply large goods trailers for use on the road.
Currently large goods trailers are put onto the road without the need for type approval or an inspection of any kind. They can then be in use for up to 12 months before they are inspected at their first annual test. The first test process is used to check and confirm details of the trailer against the technical requirements and specifications provided by the manufacturer and held by VOSA. A record is generated when a fleet operator makes an application to VOSA – using form VTG2L – for a first test trailer examination that coincides with the trailer’s first annual test.

From 29 October 2012 when the new procedures become mandatory for some trailers, they may only be supplied to an operator after consent has been gained from VOSA. It is an offence to supply trailers to operators without first gaining consent and for the operator to use a trailer that requires a consent when one has not been issued. Most applications for consent will have to be supported by evidence of an approval, using either an Approval Certificate or a Certificate of Conformity (CoC).
VOSA will accept several approval routes as supporting evidence for an application for consent to be granted.
A European Community Whole Vehicle • Type Approval (ECWVTA) CoC
A UK National Small Series Type • Approval (NSSTA) CoC
An Individual Vehicle Approval • Certificate (IVA) from another EU country (subject to acceptance by the UK approval authority)
A UK Individual Vehicle Approval • Certificate (IVA)

There have been changes due to type approval though the trailer test date has been as I pointed out above for good a number of years previously, l bought a new flat in 2004 and it was 12 months from purchase date then,
The thing is back then the plating certificate was not issued till the first test so many firms ran trailers for years in some cases before the first test, risking that no one would bother to check up