DVSA Claim

So today was meant to be my retest… I was so much more confident and totally ready today… and calmer. 20 min before I’m due to go out the DVSA phone to say the examiner is off sick and won’t be able to make it… was asked to wait to see if someone else could come through for it, unfortunately it was not my lucky day and my test was a no go… I was gutted as this now has a really horrible knock on effect for me on everything…

The staff at PSTT were brilliant and have managed to sort me out a new date etc. But this trip is not a cheap one for me as I’m 4 hours away and the hotel expense was my own due to it being a retest. I’m now also 2 days worth of work out of pocket. I have been told I can claim expenses back from the dvsa and I have the claim form. My question is… has anyone else had to do this and how long did it take to get the expenses back?

Really sorry about this situation; thanks for realising that our staff have done everything they can. I personally have been in contact with senior staff at DVSA to get the situation resolved without delay - and it seems they are helping as much as they can.

I don’t know how long the compensation takes to arrive but all government departments have a policy of settling claims without undue delay.

Thanks for your understanding at this frustrating time.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■■■ situation to be in, just don’t let it annoy you too much.

adam277:
[zb] situation to be in, just don’t let it annoy you too much.

Yes Adam very ■■■■! But don’t plan to let it bug me… I have too much to get on with and have had to rejuggle everything but it’s all sorted and my partner has turned the trip back up into a mini break away.

However I used my last pennies to go up this time and the days off work has put a little dent in the pocket so would like to reclaim that back and just wondered how long it would take… that’s all.

I sympathise with your situation it must be incredibly frustrating for you, I’ve said on more than one occasion that people should try to support good local trainers rather than travelling long distances for training, of course if you’d gone to a good local trainer you may still be in the same situation as far as the test is concerned, but at-least it would have been easier to deal with, it’s when things don’t go as planned that these situations arise.

I hope other people will learn from your situation and perhaps give some thought to the possible consequences of not supporting good local training companies rather than travelling long distances for training.

Anyway I hope everything works out for you in the end and good luck with the retest :wink:

Ahhh mistiek I feel for you had my mod 4 cancelled the day before guessing we were gonna have the same instructor. Totally understand what you mean with the knock on effect I had some possible jobs lined up which I’ve had to decline…good luck when you finally get to do your re-rest I’m sure you’ll be fine this time round

I’ve said on more than one occasion that people should try to support good local trainers rather than travelling long distances for training, of course if you’d gone to a good local trainer you may still be in the same situation as far as the test is concerned, but at-least it would have been easier to deal with, it’s when things don’t go as planned that these situations arise.

My feeling is that many more tests are lost nationally as a result of vehicle failure than examiner sickness. In the last few years we have lost no tests because of the vehicle and this is the first time we’ve encountered examiner sickness for as long as I can remember. In some cases the tests lost have now been taken; this is a direct result of the efforts of the customer service team in our office to get stuff done. I don’t believe many trainers would have had the staff, will and facilities and fleet size to sort the situation so quickly.

Hundreds of folks will testify that it’s well worth the journey.

But, for those who want options, they are available.

When you say that you should use local, do you shun national and international chains and brands, only holiday in your home town and only use the shop down the road?

People buy based on quality and not just geography and what fulfils their needs.

NickW88:
When you say that you should use local Rog, do you shun national and international chains and brands, only holiday in your home town and only use the shop down the road?

People buy based on quality and not just geography and what fulfils their needs.

When you say Rog I assume you’re talking to me, at no time have I said anyone should only use local trainers, what I’ve said and still do is that where there are good local trainers with an excellent reputation why not support them by using their services.

I’ve no idea what that’s got to do with shunning national or international chains or brands or where anyone takes holiday though :confused: :confused: :confused:

tachograph:

NickW88:
When you say that you should use local Rog, do you shun national and international chains and brands, only holiday in your home town and only use the shop down the road?

When you say Rog I assume you’re talking to me, at no time have I said anyone should only use local trainers, what I’ve said and still do is that where there are good local trainers with an excellent reputation why not support them by using their services.

I’ve no idea what that’s got to do with shunning national or international chains or brands or where anyone takes holiday though :confused: :confused: :confused:

Apologies yes it was doh! It’s been a long week. I’ll edit that bit out!

In my mind it’s the same principle, buying a car, going on holiday or paying for the services of training is all the same. The location of the trainer should not be the main reason for choosing them. Take universities for example. Most people chose the one that suits their needs the best, not just the locality.

I feel your pain my test was cancelled on the day as well ( had it twice in fact ) 1 was actually there ready to start reverse knock on door cancelled due to snow 2nd was the test examiner was too ill ( he had a heart attack that morning ) I was already at the trainers by this time although not far from where I was so didn’t take long to get home we just had another training session as we were already there & lorry was booked out to me

Hope you get expenses sorted soon sorry can’t help as never had to do it

tachograph:
I sympathise with your situation it must be incredibly frustrating for you, I’ve said on more than one occasion that people should try to support good local trainers rather than travelling long distances for training, of course if you’d gone to a good local trainer you may still be in the same situation as far as the test is concerned, but at-least it would have been easier to deal with, it’s when things don’t go as planned that these situations arise.

I hope other people will learn from your situation and perhaps give some thought to the possible consequences of not supporting good local training companies rather than travelling long distances for training.

Anyway I hope everything works out for you in the end and good luck with the retest :wink:

I appreciate what you’re saying and to an extent i agree with supporting local businesses, but it’s a lot of money and you have to go with a company who ticks all the boxes and that’s why i’m driving 160 miles to do my cat c, also free cpc mod4 course made it a no brainer. Obviously if i fail i’ve got a long way to go to retest but i’m hoping to minimise that chance by picking a trainer who instills the most confidence iin me.

tachograph:

I’m actually really really annoyed at this post you have made! You don’t know me, my situation or the homework I did prior to chosing my school… I had local assessments… And by local I mean an hour away as its th closest decent school to me! And after weighing up my pro’s and con’s PSTT was the best suited school for my needs not only that they come highly recommended with a brilliant pass rate and have excellent facilities but they are an accredited TEST CENTRE too … and every single instructor is DVSA accredited… If I had done my course in my “local” school the travels alone would have been more than double and more than double the expense… With residential on offer at no expense to me and free CPC mod 4 I had saved a bomb! These expenses were my own this time as I failed my first attempt at no fault from the school but my own stupid nerves!

Yesterday’s issue was not PSTT’s fault, and as far as I know a large portion of the residential clients were prioritised due to their travels… and PSTT have worked like a well oiled team to get as much rebooked and sorted as they could in the face of adversity and upset clients! Thanks to the fact they are an actual test centre, with amazing staff and a larger decent fleet, they have managed to organise with the DVSA an extra day of tests on a bank holiday to accomodate those that were let down… I now have mine rebooked for next week Friday! Now I don’t see the local non test centres being able to do that…

I best stop here as I’m writing this in anger… I totally support local companies where I can… But my local isnt that local, not that great and not that efficent! And for you to make the accusations you have, without the facts have really angered me!

Again a massive thank you to PSTT for all their hard work over the last few days in getting all off this sorted out and working so well together to do so… You are an amazing school that I have really grown fond of and feel like family! You are the loveliest bunch of people to be around and my time with you has been awesome… My instructor has been excellent and the facilities are amazing! Keep up then good work and see you next week!

chunck247:
Ahhh mistiek I feel for you had my mod 4 cancelled the day before guessing we were gonna have the same instructor. Totally understand what you mean with the knock on effect I had some possible jobs lined up which I’ve had to decline…good luck when you finally get to do your re-rest I’m sure you’ll be fine this time round

Thank you… I’m sorry you did not manage to get your CPC mod 4 done either, I really feel for PSTT as this, from what I have been told, happens very rarely… Aaron was saying he has been there I think just over a year and its the first time he has had to deal with it… It must be hard for them having to prioritise everyone… A few of us have had worked lined up that this has affected. CPC’s are even worse as the DVSA dose not give them enough dates so they are even harder to come by… I hope you get a new date soon and good luck to you too

Thanks for the supportive post. The stress levels in the customer care office have been through the roof. Staff have worked late, through breaks relentlessly to ensure that any disruption is minimised. And all this because the DVSA have no back up plan.

The upside is that, further to discussions with DVSA, we have secured more tests on a regular basis thus alleviating the Mod 4 issue that has plagued us for a while.

Today 4 residential candidates all passed their tests and this is due, in no short measure, to my excellent staff.

btw, called in for donuts and chocolates for them today. Their attitude was very much along the lines of “cant let people down. Just got to get on with it”. And they have.

I’ll see you on Friday as I’m doing most or all of the pre-test warm ups. (and Tracey is coming in on her day off to make sure all goes to plan).

Peter Smythe:
Thanks for the supportive post. The stress levels in the customer care office have been through the roof. Staff have worked late, through breaks relentlessly to ensure that any disruption is minimised. And all this because the DVSA have no back up plan.

The upside is that, further to discussions with DVSA, we have secured more tests on a regular basis thus alleviating the Mod 4 issue that has plagued us for a while.

Today 4 residential candidates all passed their tests and this is due, in no short measure, to my excellent staff.

btw, called in for donuts and chocolates for them today. Their attitude was very much along the lines of “cant let people down. Just got to get on with it”. And they have.

I’ll see you on Friday as I’m doing most or all of the pre-test warm ups. (and Tracey is coming in on her day off to make sure all goes to plan).

So glad the DVSA have pulled their finger out their… hmmm… to give you more dates for th CPC mod 4… see everything happens for a reason and some positive has come out of it. It’s a shame we have to throw our toys out the cot to get anywhere… but that’s good news never the less. I look forward to seeing both you and Tracey (bless her - love her to bits) next friday and appreciate the time you are putting in on a bank holiday! Easter no less… family time given up for us… now that’s dedication

Best of luck for Friday mate :grimacing: