DVSA and overnight HGV parking

So the ‘O’ licence states where the vehicle should be parked, ie the operators centre but obviously this is not always the case if the vehicle is away from the depot, or the Driver runs out of driving time on his way back to depot.

If this happens,the rules state that the truck should be parked in a suitable location over night, ie a suitable place, say a lay by or a Truckstop.

Had a conversation with DVSA about this, pointing out the serious lack of available parking for trucks, and that if the truck was parked in a 30 mph zone, parked legally, ie not half on half off the road, not causing a public nuisance, not blocking entrances, not causing an obstruction, not in a weight restricted area and so on would this be classed as suitable if it only happened lets say 6 times in a year.

The answer from DVSA, trucks are not allowed to park on ANY public highway over night, not even on a public highway on an industrial estate.

Any comments?

Ask another one. You will get a different answer, they make it up as they go :unamused:

Not sure how that can be right, why do you see signs all over the place pointing out that there are overnight parking restrictions, ie 8pm to midnight and midnight to 8am, in certain areas to prevent over night hgv parking, you see them in certain streets near industrial estates or on some business parks, the ones on the streets must have been put there by the local authority enforcing a restriction that doesn’t clearly apply to the actual industrial estate.
It’s probably right, more likely another tool if needed, to hammer a driver for money when they feel like it. I can see it now, been a bit slow one night so they go lurk around an industrial estate at 5am to nail the first one to get up and leave…

The answer given is not legally correct. Check the Highway Code. It’d need its lights on.

Most parking restrictions are civil enforcement (local councils) and Police dont deal with it. Obstruction is an offence the Police could deal with. As far as I am aware DVSA cannot deal with either.

As for O licence - that shouldn’t be a problem if the driver is sleeping in the cab.

With the lack of Lgv parking, as you go up the M1 going past Sheffield, if you look to the left, there is a huge waste ground that could fit 1000 trucks or more, what looks like an old factory or factories , that used to be there .
Or when the big shopping mall is shut at night, allow Lgv parking in the car parks .

I guess the reason the large areas are not opened up to HGV is simply the rubbish and mess that would be left behind. Would be a full full time job clearing up after the a@@e holes have left.

jonesy5573:
I guess the reason the large areas are not opened up to HGV is simply the rubbish and mess that would be left behind. Would be a full full time job clearing up after the a@@e holes have left.

A prime example here last week.
2 ‘Dreams’ trucks parked up at Bamber Bridge last Friday night, bags of crap left behind them.
(Their rubbish picked up, and binned by my mate, …a responsible driver)

2 other ‘Dreams’ trucks (or maybe same 2, who knows) parked same place Wed night, sat running engines for 20 mins very early in morning…the park is backed on to a residential street, not to mention other truckers trying to sleep.
Absolute ■■■■ stains.

How long before these 2/4 knobs, (and similar knobs just like them, of which there are many :smiling_imp: ) get the rest of us banned from a place I have parked there for 20+years :smiling_imp:

Its not just lorry drivers. I was parked up in Lincoln a few months ago, in front of me was a car with a young scruffy looking couple eating Mac Attack. When they finished, the girl tossed all the rubbish out of the window onto the pavement. No doubt a trucker would get the blame for that.

robroy:

jonesy5573:

A prime example here last week.
2 ‘Dreams’ trucks parked up at Bamber Bridge last Friday night, bags of crap left behind them.
(Their rubbish picked up, and binned by my mate, …a responsible driver)

2 other ‘Dreams’ trucks (or maybe same 2, who knows) parked same place Wed night, sat running engines for 20 mins very early in morning…the park is backed on to a residential street, not to mention other truckers trying to sleep.
Absolute [zb] stains.

How long before these 2/4 knobs, (and similar knobs just like them, of which there are many :smiling_imp: ) get the rest of us banned from a place I have parked there for 20+years :smiling_imp:

I was at Bamber bridge a few years ago and was disgusted by the rubbish in the yard. I scrounged a couple of black bags from the cleaner at business nearest the houses and filled both with rubbish. (Heavy duty gloves worn! )

Once done. Had a wash and nipped to the band club for a couple of pints of soft drink. When I got back to wagon with a takeaway I noticed a beer can and chippy wrapper next to wagon nearest the hedge. There was a ■■■■■■■ bin 50 yards away!

Not parked there for a while. Heard the folk that had the bike business didn’t like drivers much!

toby1234abc:
With the lack of Lgv parking, as you go up the M1 going past Sheffield, if you look to the left, there is a huge waste ground that could fit 1000 trucks or more, what looks like an old factory or factories , that used to be there .
Or when the big shopping mall is shut at night, allow Lgv parking in the car parks .

It’s called Meadow Hall. :wink:

happysack:
nipped to the band club for a couple of pints of soft drink.

:open_mouth: Come on HS mate, don’t tell me the reigious self righteous on here, who think it’s a carnal sin against humanity, to have a pint on a night out in the truck, have got to you.as well. :neutral_face:
Stand up to them and ■■■■ em,…admit it you had a couple of pints of John Smiths, as I would have done, and no puppies or kittens were harmed. :smiley:

Btw Any ‘Dreams’ drivers on here feeling guilty?

I certainly won’t have drank John smiths [emoji33]

I imagine it would have been a lager. Or possibly Guinness on the night in question. (If you promise not to tell anyone, there is a good chance I might have actually drank a premium lager)

happysack:
I certainly won’t have drank John smiths [emoji33]

I imagine it would have been a lager. Or possibly Guinness on the night in question. (If you promise not to tell anyone, there is a good chance I might have actually drank a premium lager)

If you’d walked past the crossing in to what used to be ‘The last orders’ it’s a lot cheaper pint, AND Sky Sports on match nights. :sunglasses: …mind you, I needn’t bother, as Newcastle are on ■■■■ ITV Championship next season :cry: )
But Lord Jesus strike me down to damnation for not sitting in my cab all night, curtains drawn in a lay by, with alarm set for 10.59 off. :smiley:

Aye I know it well. I’ve probably been in every pub in Bamber! Mind you last time I was down that way I was proper cab rat up in the industrial estate. Was too early to try parking up in the usual bits!

I often had a pint with a bloke who drove for murrays. Big bloke with a bald head. Rangers supporter. Can’t mind his name. He was always parked there!

toby1234abc:

Good idea but I don’t think Meadowhall shopping centre would want it’s car park stinking of ■■■■ and ■■■■ :wink:

happysack:
Aye I know it well. I’ve probably been in every pub in Bamber! Mind you last time I was down that way I was proper cab rat up in the industrial estate. Was too early to try parking up in the usual bits!

I also park on the ind est if it’s too late to go out, or if I can’t be arsed.
Never used it myself, but I’m sure my mate told me there’s a path from Walton Summit ind est into Bamber centre.