DVLA

Got my HGV licence in 1981 and was employed as a HGV driver 1992 to 1994 then had a change in career (no need for a HGV)
Back in 1984 I changed my address and I recall sending my old HGV book licence together with my ordinary driving licence to the DVLA.
My bus licence car and motorcycle are on my current licence, but I never noticed that my HGV class 1 was not on it, and to be honest never thought of checking, I have now been offered employment and on checking the licence noticed that my entitlement was not included on the licence
The DVLA will not add the class 1 rating to my licence as they have no record of it even though I have the licence number issued by the North Wester traffic Area Obviously this information was lost by DVLA see reports of lost DATA UK government
Can anyone advice best way forward

30 years is along time. Trucks and trailers have changed.

Take few refresher lessons, and a test. Probably quicker and cheaper than trying to get the DVLA to change its mind…

DVLA are notorious for not keeping records of HGV entitlements.

Unless you’ve got some proper proof that you ever had it, such as a copy of your test pass certificate (and I’m guessing you won’t have after 28 years) there is nothing you can do except re-take your test.

EDIT: don’t blame the messenger, I don’t work for DVLA

Are those dates being employed as a HGV driver between 92 and 94 correct? as you mention sending the old book and licence back in 84 and then receiving your licence back without the entitlement on it.
I believe the old book hgv licence was transffered to the DVLA computerised system in 91 and came back all on 1 licence and gave the date of passing HGV test of a date prior to 01/04/91 which is on my licence, even though my pass date was in 88.
If you have the original HGV licence number it might be worth contacting the North Western traffic office to see if they have the old records.

weeto:
Are those dates being employed as a HGV driver between 92 and 94 correct? as you mention sending the old book and licence back in 84 and then receiving your licence back without the entitlement on it.
I believe the old book hgv licence was transffered to the DVLA computerised system in 91 and came back all on 1 licence and gave the date of passing HGV test of a date prior to 01/04/91 which is on my licence, even though my pass date was in 88.
If you have the original HGV licence number it might be worth contacting the North Western traffic office to see if they have the old records.

I do have my old book licence number but again DVLA will not admit loosing my licence,

blade582:

weeto:

I do have my old book licence number but again DVLA will not admit loosing my licence,

Nothing is ever the fault of DVLA they are perfect in every respect and put up with us lesser mortals being the kind hearted souls that they are. Please don’t criticise them as they will be offended.

I did something similar. In the early 90s, I left driving altogether and went to work for the NHS. When my HGV licence expired I didn’t care as I did not expect to need it again.

Fast forward to when I was, once again, made redundant and after failing to find an office job, I decided to go back to driving. I phoned DVLA Swansea and a nice Welsh lady told me that my old entitlement had not been transferred to the computer since I had not renewed it. However, it was good for ten years, and if I still had the old card licence, I could send it off, together with a medical, and get a nice plastic card with all the groups on it.

After some searching, I found the old book, and duly sent it off (registered post) and a week later I was in a local agency being interviewed.

Santa:
I did something similar. In the early 90s, I left driving altogether and went to work for the NHS. When my HGV licence expired I didn’t care as I did not expect to need it again.

Fast forward to when I was, once again, made redundant and after failing to find an office job, I decided to go back to driving. I phoned DVLA Swansea and a nice Welsh lady told me that my old entitlement had not been transferred to the computer since I had not renewed it. However, it was good for ten years, and if I still had the old card licence, I could send it off, together with a medical, and get a nice plastic card with all the groups on it.

After some searching, I found the old book, and duly sent it off (registered post) and a week later I was in a local agency being interviewed.

Any good solicitors about?

blade582:
Got my HGV licence in 1981 and was employed as a HGV driver 1992 to 1994 then had a change in career (no need for a HGV)
Back in 1984 I changed my address and I recall sending my old HGV book licence together with my ordinary driving licence to the DVLA.
My bus licence car and motorcycle are on my current licence, but I never noticed that my HGV class 1 was not on it, and to be honest never thought of checking, I have now been offered employment and on checking the licence noticed that my entitlement was not included on the licence
The DVLA will not add the class 1 rating to my licence as they have no record of it even though I have the licence number issued by the North Wester traffic Area Obviously this information was lost by DVLA see reports of lost DATA UK government

Any one in the road transport union that can ask if help available to fight my case?

blade582:

blade582:

Any one in the road transport union that can ask if help available to fight my case?

Was you driving trucks between 1992 and 1994? and have you contacted the traffic area that issued the original licence? as it would have been them that notified the DVLA of all HGV licence holders.

weeto:

blade582:

blade582:

Was you driving trucks between 1992 and 1994? and have you contacted the traffic area that issued the original licence? as it would have been them that notified the DVLA of all HGV licence holders.

Been trying to go through to The north western traffic area to enquire but virtually impossible to get through does anyone have an e mail address for Gerallt Evans traffic commissioner north west?

Been trying to go through to The north western traffic area to enquire but virtually impossible to get through does anyone have an e mail address for Gerallt Evans traffic commissioner north west?

The TCs do not give out a contactable email address, for fairly understandable reasons, and even if they did, they are far too busy to worry about some historical issue like this.

You could try this email, but I can’t guarantee it will help, and you will need to give plenty of nice clear detail and ask if the recipient could pass it on to someone who might be able to help, but don’t hold your breath.
notifications@vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk

A union to “fight your case”? DVLA not keeping your entitlement on file when you failed to keep it up to date would not constitute “a case”. Plus, are you already in a drivers union, having paid subs for years and years? If not, why would a union be interested in helping a non-member?

Paying for a solicitor? It would be cheaper to resit your tests. To be honest, if you have no physical evidence that you ever held your HGV entitlement, such as your original licence, this is probably your best, (likely your only) option.

Zac_A:

The TCs do not give out a contactable email address, for fairly understandable reasons, and even if they did, they are far too busy to worry about some historical issue like this.

You could try this email, but I can’t guarantee it will help, and you will need to give plenty of nice clear detail and ask if the recipient could pass it on to someone who might be able to help, but don’t hold your breath.
notifications@vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk

A union to “fight your case”? DVLA not keeping your entitlement on file when you failed to keep it up to date would not constitute “a case”. Plus, are you already in a drivers union, having paid subs for years and years? If not, why would a union be interested in helping a non-member?

Paying for a solicitor? It would be cheaper to resit your tests. To be honest, if you have no physical evidence that you ever held your HGV entitlement, such as your original licence, this is probably your best, (likely your only) option.

Found an old photocopy of my original driving licence but DVLA will not recognise (DVLA quote photocopies could be easily forged)

Easily done, I could probably do it myself or get one of my kids to do it, they’re a dab hand with Photoshop

I think the term is up the creek without a paddle

Feel for the OP; but this is why I tell everyone who asks, do NOT part company with your old licence until the new one is sitting in your hand, and you have cross-checked it to ensure all is correct. It is the ONLY documented proof that you have the necessary entitlements.

This does not, by the way, merely pertain to vocational licences. I have seen cases where drivers have lost their entitlement to ride a motorcycle having sent their old licence for renewal after passing age 70, and who have been unable to prove that they have ever held it.