DVLA - (what's the opposite of a rant called?)

For all the stick my Welsh pencil pushing brethren take (and justifiably so in most cases) I thought it’d be nice to post something positive about them.

I had my 45yr medical last Tuesday and posted off the completed forms the same day (first class recorded delivery)

Checked online Saturday evening and was surprised to see that my details had been updated from “expired” (my Cat C & C+E expired on the 3rd of July) to “16/07/2020”

But I was even more surprised that my actual new photo card licence dropped on my door mat this morning! :open_mouth:

Good job DVLA

To be fair in over 25yrs of dealing with the DVLA I never have actually personally had a problem with them.

Reef:
For all the stick my Welsh pencil pushing brethren take (and justifiably so in most cases) I thought it’d be nice to post something positive about them.

I had my 45yr medical last Tuesday and posted off the completed forms the same day (first class recorded delivery)

Checked online Saturday evening and was surprised to see that my details had been updated from “expired” (my Cat C & C+E expired on the 3rd of July) to “16/07/2020”

But I was even more surprised that my actual new photo card licence dropped on my door mat this morning! :open_mouth:

Good job DVLA

To be fair in over 25yrs of dealing with the DVLA I never have actually personally had a problem with them.

How come you did not simply change your photo and get a free 5 years before needing a medical :question:

ROG:
How come you did not simply change your photo and get a free 5 years before needing a medical :question:

Quite simply because I bloody forgot!

It got to the start of June and it dawned on me “■■■■ I really need to send my licence off” so I figured I’d go to my Post Office and use their all inclusive system where they take your photo and everything, anyway it turns out that because my photo hadn’t actually expired they couldn’t and wouldn’t do it.

By this point I figured I’d then left it too late to send it by post myself, and to further compound that belief my D4 forms arrived the day after I went to the Post Office :open_mouth:

So I bit the bullet and spent £60 instead :frowning:

Reef:

ROG:
I figured I’d go to my Post Office and use their all inclusive system where they take your photo and everything, anyway it turns out that because my photo hadn’t actually expired they couldn’t and wouldn’t do it.

Yes they can do it - others have done it at the PO

It all depends who you get on the counter Rog.

I went to pick up a Morris Minor with my dad. It needed taxing and I had a traders policy at the time so I took it along to tax it. They were OK with the MOT and insurance but refused to tax it on the green slip and would only accept a V5 even though you can tax it with just the small green slip.

ROG:

Nope, not at mine, the woman on the counter was unsure so she checked with her supervisor and he said not without the photo renewal form that gets sent from the DVLA when the photo renewal is actually due.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but either way threatening them that “ROG off of T’net” would likely not approve probably wouldn’t hold much weight with them :laughing:

Reef:

ROG:

Nope, not at mine, the woman on the counter was unsure so she checked with her supervisor and he said not without the photo renewal form that gets sent from the DVLA when the photo renewal is actually due.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but either way threatening them that “ROG off of T’net” would likely not approve probably wouldn’t hold much weight with them :laughing:

Like anything, it all comes down to who actually knows the rules, and those that guess the rules, and because her decision isn’t challenged, she will always think she is right.
A bit like the (mis)management that I am currently working for!