DVLA - Waiting on Medical Decision

Hi All and hope you are well

Just getting frustrated with DVLA, they have had my medical for the last 3 months and will not give me any indication when they will return it back (literally stone cold face reply)

I have all my entitlements and my medical issue was even declared on my last medical without any comeback.

Problem I have is wanting to do my motorbike theory which I can’t do without the physical licence and they wont accept a DVLA check code. I am also worried that a transport office will kick up a stink if I don’t have my licence on my possession.

Any comforting words out there??

They are way behind in the medical dept, try to get the application in earlier next time, not as they’ll necessarily play ball.

I did sent it to them before the expiry date…even so 3 months to process it as to take the biscuit!!

I mean they wont even let me know if its being looked at and when it will take to get back…

I said is it 1 year or 5 years before I get it back??

Probably worrying more about Brexit!!

The first time mine took a really long time i phoned them after a while, have to say they were quite sympathetic and the lady at DVLA checked to see where my application was in the queue, she also sent me out a covering note authorising me to drive, though i believe cover whilst its being assessed is near enough standard practice now.

Ring the DVLA and ask for a section 88 letter, your employer should accept that. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/695575/inf188x6-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

They kept telling me mine was being
Processed until day before it ran out
Then got letter saying it was with
Traffic commissioners office , have you
Been up to no good?

I am in the same situation still waiting.from 12th June. I had a medical investigation 2 years ago where there was nothing found to effect driving and had all clear to drive. But when I sent renewal in this year they have said it is in a queue for review even though I had a covering letter from work doctor saying no change from last investigations.
I had a holiday booked in Europe where I wanted to hire a car after explaining situation to dvla they sent me a license with car entitlement on . Hgv removed until medical make a decision but I am still able to drive under section 88 rules.

Mine took eleven months before they cleared me health wise but I was still allowed to drive during that time as they supplied a covering letter.

Pete.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like its out of our hands with the DVLA.

At least I may have options to get hold of a licence to help me get my bike theory done and a section 88 letter to cover myself.

They never offered any of those on the call just that “safety is a paramount” so ■■■■ it up basically.

To think I studied a degree in Public Administration and was once a civil servant :smiley:

I might me in Theresa May’s Honours list that she is dishing out to her cronies

Cityblue:
I had a holiday booked in Europe where I wanted to hire a car after explaining situation to dvla they sent me a license with car entitlement on . Hgv removed until medical make a decision but I am still able to drive under section 88 rules.

I was told by DVLA, in 2015 when I was in a similar situation that was not possible so it looks like they have changed their procedures a bit. I wrote about this on a another thread with my “solution” :laughing: :-

In the end I only had to go to France in my own car so winged it with a blown up photocopy of the licence I had sent away :laughing: Never got stopped so cannot tell what outcome would have been, lots of faffing and phone calls to DVLA, probably :unamused:

Full thread here :- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=161999

Update Licence Back

Finally after 4 months they have returned my new licence with a new expiry date.

I would like to say my 5th call to them helped (which was exactly the same reply to my first call), together with filling in a DVLA complaints form including telling them I have also contacted my MP.

My MP did reply to my email saying to make an appointment to see the Rt Hon Keith Vaz in person…never say never :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: