DVLA.....Should I be worried

So sent D4 and license renewal papers off three weeks ago…Nowt back yet and license runs out in a fortnight…two weeks into a new job too… Should I panic yet or leave it a couple of more hours… :unamused:

enn:
So sent D4 and license renewal papers off three weeks ago…Nowt back yet and license runs out in a fortnight…two weeks into a new job too… Should I panic yet or leave it a couple of more hours… :unamused:

I would call DVLA medical and ask them if they can confirm receipt of your D4 and what the expected delay will be

Perhaps asking them to send you a letter stating that you are legal to carry on whilst they sort it out is a good idea - they do that all the time

Sent mine in a month ago and so far heard nowt, guess I’ll be giving them a call as well !

Hiya…hows things Trev…i sent my licence off years ago… no reply…so i phoned. they said they never got it.
so i got everything together again( a right pain)the woman at the dvla said i should use a recorded delivery
so it dosen’t get stolen.i said what use is it, it runs out soon, when you send them out you don’t use recorded
when they have 5 years driving on them…usual response she was right yet again.

Always photocopy your stuff before you send it off.

I didn’t send my old licence it was “lost” :wink: , I sent it all recorded delivery and they received it 22/2.

I took mine to the counter at the post office and got a receipt with a ref number on it. It doesnt guarentee delivery but, with the ref number i believe they can trace it in the system, but i could be wrong. Before that though, i’ve always sent it recorded then i can trace it myself and know they’ve got it.

Paid near 7 quid and sent it special delivery…they have received it…phone call today reveals it is down in the medical department…this is normal procedure lady said… :unamused:

I sent my licence and medical off 3 weeks ago, my licence runs out tomorrow! So called DVLA today and after what seemed a never ending line of press 1 for this and press 2 for that, got through to very helpful lady who confirmed they received my docs and my licence was at medical evaluation. So got put though to another helpfull lady who told me there was a back log and mine was in it, but as my DL medical was expiring tomorrow they would send me a letter to say that I could still drive under section 88 of the road traffic act providing that my doctor did not find me unfit to drive. This letter is sufficient to allow you to drive for up to 1 year :open_mouth: so hopefully my DL should be back soon. :smiley:

optidrive:
I sent my licence and medical off 3 weeks ago, my licence runs out tomorrow! So called DVLA today and after what seemed a never ending line of press 1 for this and press 2 for that, got through to very helpful lady who confirmed they received my docs and my licence was at medical evaluation. So got put though to another helpfull lady who told me there was a back log and mine was in it, but as my DL medical was expiring tomorrow they would send me a letter to say that I could still drive under section 88 of the road traffic act providing that my doctor did not find me unfit to drive. This letter is sufficient to allow you to drive for up to 1 year :open_mouth: so hopefully my DL should be back soon. :smiley:

That 88 letter is only valid in the UK. Its useless abroad. My license took exactly 26weeks last year lost £13k in wages as I work abroad. The law at the moment allows them 56 days to make checks and return the licence to you. After that as long as you an prove you cannot work you can claim compensation after the 56 days.

enn:
Paid near 7 quid and sent it special delivery…they have received it…phone call today reveals it is down in the medical department…this is normal procedure lady said… :unamused:

I also paid for special delivery, Just under £7 and DVLA received my paperwork the next day, however your papers still go to the bottom of a very big pile and no matter how many calls you make, or how many people you speak to, it won’t be back any time soon.

I’d give it around 5 weeks before your license is returned.

fodentanker:
, however your papers still go to the bottom of a very big pile and no matter how many calls you make, or how many people you speak to, it won’t be back any time soon.

I’d give it around 5 weeks before your license is returned.

And they say there’s a driver shortage :open_mouth:

Mine, recently, took nearly 4 weeks before I received it back, I phoned after the 3rd week and was told it was with the medical dept. I was also told there was a backlog.

The chap did inform me that if it wasnt back to me before my licence expired, that I would still automatically be covered unless informed otherwise.

If it’s in the medical section they should be able to tell you roughly when they will get around to looking at it. (The backlog can be anything from 6 - 12 weeks) Once it comes to the top of the pile they may then decide more action is needed and will contact you. My last licence renewal took 6 months but at least it gave me the 6 months extra to get past my 65th in June and the DCPC deadline of September.
As said, ask them for a letter authorising you to continue driving, and renew the letter after a couple of months if need be. They will e-mail you a copy within a few days and you’ll get the original letter in the post after a week or so

Did my D4 medical last Thursday 20th! Got my updated license yesterday the 26th! :sunglasses: