DVLA On The Ball But Behind The Times

My digi card runs out on the 30th of June and I got home today to find the renewal letter lying on the mat, it came either yesterday or today. Didn’t expect to get the form this early and as I have a different address on my digi card and my driving licence I wasn’t sure if I would even get a reminder but it seems they send it to the address on your licence.

On a connected note when are the DVLA going to make paying easier. They only accept cheques or postal orders and I haven’t written a cheque for about 5 years and I don’t think I even have a cheque book, I think I binned my last one a couple of years ago, and I didn’t even know postal orders still existed. Getting a postal order is going to be a bit inconvenient as I have no idea when I will be able to get to the post office. Surely in this day and age you should be able to pay by internet banking or debit card. Log into their website and make a payment with your digi card or licence number as reference or do the same via electronic transfer. I reckon I’ll have to find someone with a cheque book and give them £19 and ask them to do a cheque for me. :imp: :imp:

got my reminder on saturday posted on the monday morning received it back
thursday morning dont run out till june will have the night off the day it runs out
cant be asked to swop cards at midnight :smiley:

i would hazard a guess the DVLA would incur merchants fees, to accept card payments. ■■

Coffeeholic:
My digi card runs out on the 30th of June and I got home today to find the renewal letter lying on the mat, it came either yesterday or today. Didn’t expect to get the form this early and as I have a different address on my digi card and my driving licence I wasn’t sure if I would even get a reminder but it seems they send it to the address on your licence.

On a connected note when are the DVLA going to make paying easier. They only accept cheques or postal orders and I haven’t written a cheque for about 5 years and I don’t think I even have a cheque book, I think I binned my last one a couple of years ago, and I didn’t even know postal orders still existed. Getting a postal order is going to be a bit inconvenient as I have no idea when I will be able to get to the post office. Surely in this day and age you should be able to pay by internet banking or debit card. Log into their website and make a payment with your digi card or licence number as reference or do the same via electronic transfer. I reckon I’ll have to find someone with a cheque book and give them £19 and ask them to do a cheque for me. :imp: :imp:

hi coffee, i applyed for a new card about 3 weeks ago, over the phone and they took card payment there and then

pigpen:
thursday morning dont run out till june will have the night off the day it runs out

Good point, I don’t know how you get round that but it would be splitting hairs knicking you with an out of date card for a few hours.

roadrunner:
i would hazard a guess the DVLA would incur merchants fees, to accept card payments. ■■

And a £19 postal order costs us £20.90 :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

roadrunner:

precisely.They ain’t daft.

roadrunner:

Wheel Nut:

roadrunner:

precisely.They ain’t daft.

You can get road tax on line and pay via card from the DVLA, is the digi card department not that advanced?

pigpen:

Card probably won’t work on it’s last day of validity anyway so you would be working with printouts so no card to swap.

grahamzx6r:
hi coffee, i applyed for a new card about 3 weeks ago, over the phone and they took card payment there and then

I wondered about doing it over the phone but the form says they cannot accept applications without your signature. There is only 3 I need to fill in on the from anyway, tick the box that says I want to renew, contact phone number if I wish to provide one, I don’t. Then sign and date it. With so little required then it should be easy enough to do it by phone but their website makes no mention of that facility, at least not that I can find.

Trev_H:
You can get road tax on line and pay via card from the DVLA, is the digi card department not that advanced?

I always get my road tax that way, have done ever since they introduced it so it’s not like they can’t take payments by card.

Cheques and postal orders? They need dragging into the 21st century. Fewer and fewer places accept cheques these days and as of 30th June this year you will no longer be able to guarantee a cheque with a cheque card, meaning even less places will be likely to accept them. The Government have had a big push in recent years to move toward electronic payments, pensions, benefits and so forth, yet here is a major Government agency saying they want paying in an archaic method. I might just stick a £20 note in with the form and see what happens. :wink:

DVLA Tachograph Smart Card Helpline on Tel 0300 790 6109, they may take card payment. ■■

roadrunner:
DVLA Tachograph Smart Card Helpline on Tel 0300 790 6109, they may take card payment. ■■

Yeah, I’ve got that number on the form so I might call them on Monday.

Can you not just go and order a new card and pay for it at your local dvla centre

Luton
DVLA Local Office
2 Dunstable Road,
Luton,
LU1 1EB

even found it for you :laughing: :laughing: unless you have moved

fingermissing:
Can you not just go and order a new card and pay for it at your local dvla centre

Luton
DVLA Local Office
2 Dunstable Road,
Luton,
LU1 1EB

even found it for you :laughing: :laughing: unless you have moved

I still live in Luton, I’ve moved a couple of times but still in the town. However, the DVLA office in Luton closed around 3 years ago in early 2008, which is a pity as I could have walked there from my current place in less than 10 minutes. I used to tax my trucks there when I was an OD.

was thinking the same when i got mine on Friday
will the new card be valid from expiry date
of old one

had to renew pic on licence
& they stole 11 days

How does a bit of plastic card cost 19 quid exactly, robbing ■■■■■■■■■

hitch:
was thinking the same when i got mine on Friday
will the new card be valid from expiry date
of old one

Yes.

How does a bit of plastic card cost 19 quid exactly, robbing [zb]!

Have you renewed your passport recently? :open_mouth:

The vehicle side of DVLA is well behind the times. On Friday I received a letter from them querying the engine cc of one of my vehicles. I have owned it since 2002.

Update.

I had four days off last week and while sorting through some stuff found an old cheque book, the last cheque stub showed a date in 2005 and it was all a bit yellow round the edges, so I posted my form and ancient cheque off last Thursday. Got in from work today and the envelope containing my new digi card is lying on the floor, I was away last night so it came either yesterday or today. That’s not bad service.

Coffeeholic:
Update.
I posted my form and ancient cheque off last Thursday. Got in from work today and the envelope containing my new digi card is lying on the floor, I was away last night so it came either yesterday or today. That’s not bad service.

Try dealing with the medical side, a totally different experience to the extreme opposite unfortunately :frowning: