Dvla medical mess up

Hello, i had to update my license a few years ago, when I did it came back with a full five years medical entitlement, I still went for my medical at 50 years old, I’m 51 now so have four years before I need another medical, question is have dvla sorted this problem out? I have heard over the years it’s still happening.

jimroyale:
, question is have dvla sorted this problem out? .

I’m completely lost? What problem? You have 4 years left, but you’re asking now?

As far as I know it wasnt messed up.

For several years it was possible to renew your photocard licence and in doing so get a full five years from that date to also renew your vocational entitlement, thus postponing the requirement for a medical. It’s my understanding that this was done to harmonise renewal dates etc. Quite a few drivers did it at the time (myself included).

However, this was a “once only” opportunity to take advantage of a change in the rules and, again as I understand it, it is no longer available as everyone potentially affected will by now have renewed either their photocard or their vocational entitlement (or both).

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I don’t think they have no. I took my last medical around April 2018 for my PCV licence. My licence was revoked in May last year and I then got it back in June this year. I then had to send it back (that felt painful) to update with my full class 1. However I received it back with a full 5 years despite having only around 8 months of my medical left.
To get my licence back after revocation I had to fill out all the necessary forms as in applying for a first licence but I didn’t have to fill out a D4 as my medical was still valid. I would have thought it would have only been valid until the same date my existing PCV entitlement expires but not so.

I don’t want to risk a letter from the DVLA saying my entitlement has been suspended until a medical has been undertaken so I will have one regardless.
So yes the problem still exists as I can officially drive an HGV from the age of 48 till 57 on just 1 medical.

I think the addition of new vocational Group(s) will continue to have the same effect, but only when (as in your case) there is an existing vocational entitlement with an existing “unexpired” medical, so will only affect a small number of drivers.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk