DVLA issuing licence that cannot be legally used!

THIS IS ONLY FOR UNDER 21s TAKING THEIR FIRST LGV LICENCE

IMPORTANT: - A flaw in the system has occured - If a DSA examiner sends off the licence after an under 21 has passed modules 1 & 3 but not passed modules 2 & 4 then DVLA will issue the upgrade which cannot be legally used either commercially or privately !!! The DVLA are now reviewing this.

A good point. But this is the situation that all existing drivers (who want to drive professionally) will be in from Sept 2014 if they haven’t completed their 35hrs periodic training.

The general attitude to the periodic training is “I’l leave the industry rather than do it” or, “I’ll leave it for now - I’ve got 5 years”. And that’s from folk who know that the rules are in place.
I look forward with eager anticipation to the pantomime that will be the transport industry in 2014. With all this warning, a huge number of drivers/employers are just looking the other way.

It’s high time that drivers/employers asked questions from trainers or the Joint Approvals Unit rather than listen to rumour and conjecture. But our glorious (not sarcastic) industry has a long history of hoping stuff will go away. So I shouldn’t be surprised that this is being treated the same.

Will be interesting to see how this all works out. I, for one, have given up trying to explain, persuade, encorouge etc. I’ll just wait and see what happens.:laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
A good point. But this is the situation that all existing drivers (who want to drive professionally) will be in from Sept 2014 if they haven’t completed their 35hrs periodic training.

This is far more serious as it affect the actual validity of the licence and not just the right to drive commercially.

Imagine a 19 year old who is doing C to drive a private horsebox - they pass mod 3 but not mod 4 and the examiner sends off the licence - they get it back with a C and drive their 18 tonne horsebox thinking they are legal but are, in fact, driving illegally as the licence itself is not valid !!

I hope the DSA and/or DVLA get this sorted asap

Peter Smythe:
The general attitude to the periodic training is “I’l leave the industry rather than do it” or, “I’ll leave it for now - I’ve got 5 years”. And that’s from folk who know that the rules are in place.
I look forward with eager anticipation to the pantomime that will be the transport industry in 2014. With all this warning, a huge number of drivers/employers are just looking the other way.

I couldn’t agree more I have had so many calls from “my mate said” trouble is "my mate is talking utter BS.

This was one of my trainees who is emigrating and therefor did not want to do the CPC but wanted to show he had passed a practical test in that class of vehicle.