DVLA eyesight U-turn

DVLA has admitted it was wrong to deny “grandfather rights” when the minimum eyesight standards changed last year. I know for sure that some drivers lost their licences as a result. Was anyone here affected, or do you know of anyone who was forced to give up driving trucks?

Thank you Colin, but as a result maybe the South Wales police who enforced this nonsense could pay compensation as well as DVLA? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: sorry I’m dreaming again :sunglasses:

Not sure, i received the post but couldnt read the contents :laughing:

Fatboy slimslow:
Thank you Colin, but as a result maybe the South Wales police who enforced this nonsense could pay compensation as well as DVLA? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: sorry I’m dreaming again :sunglasses:

That’s exactly why I want to hear from anyone affected.

I managed to pass the new eyesight requirements at my last medical last year,but an interim check up at my opticians last week says that I wont meet the standard this next time around.
Therefore I am having my first cataract operation in two weeks time,which will hopefully bring one eye up to the 6/7.5 acuity required.
By having the acuity for the worse eye so low,I think this is to cater for the one eyed drivers!
Like most of you,I feel,as does my optician,that the new standard is more than is necessary,I have no difficulty doing my job when I meet the last standard,
However,as eyesight can deteriorate rather quickly,ie as with cataracts which I have,I feel,as does my eye surgeon,that claiming grandfather rights on something like eyesight is a recipe for disaster.
The bar may have been set higher than is really necessary,but I would prefer to be up to whatever is required for my own safety,and that of other road users!
While on this subject,what about car drivers renewing their licence at 70 years old?
Just a box ticking exercise to continue driving.
I have a colleague who is just turned 80,had to take the gates off his drive because he kept running into them,wrote his BMW off outside his house just before Christmas,and has just bought a brand new 13 plate Honda!.
He knows his eyesight is bad but insists he is OK.
I think an eyesight test for ANY driver over 70 should be compulsory!

Hiya i’ll go with you on that score Ian. i was taking to a chap who was 75, he said he hadn’t been to see
the doctor for 20 years before he was 70 to get his ticket stamped. he could be a time bomb waiting to
go off. why not get checked out. i think some folk think they’re invincible.
John