DVLA backlog... I've just ordered a new licence

Hi there,

I’m new to the forum and truck driving. My employer is paying for me to do a category C course and test. Obviously, before I can commence any kind of training, I’ve got to send off for my provisional entitlement.

I had my driver medical and filled out my D2 form about 3 weeks ago and sent it off first class (I should’ve known better). I was a little concerned that I hadn’t heard anything from them, so 2 days ago I rang them up to check what the status of my application was… only to be told that it was on their system as ‘not received’. However, I was assured that this could also mean that it had not been processed yet, as it was under 3 weeks. The person I was speaking to went on to say that it was most likely to be that it’s not received, so advised me to order a new licence, they also sent me out a new set of forms to fill out which gave me the impression that they thought there was no way it was going to materialise.

Later on that day, I came across a few threads on this forum where people had mentioned that they sent their licences off and hadnt heard anything for months, then their licences came through the post - this had made me think that there is a possibility that my licence is there, but hasn’t been processed yet!

Does this sound like a likely event - that my new licence could actually arrive in a month or so with the entitlements on it? or shall I just get my medical done again, and this time send it recorded delivery?

Any insights would be appreciated.

any backlog will be with the medical section - tel 0300 790 6807

It sounds like you’ve been unlucky! I’ve always found DVLA to be pretty efficient. Just recently I’ve had to renew my digi-tacho card - I did this by 'phone last Wednesday (23rd July) and the new card was on my doormat today - so just three days! Likewise, when I did my final DCPC module (which was on a Friday) my shiny new DCPC card was on my doormat the following Tuesday - just four days!

I’ve also had to renew my LGV entitlement too (the renewal you have to do when you reach 45!) - I had my medical last Monday (21st of July) and sent the medical form and licence renewal form to the DVLA the same day. Any time I send stuff to the DVLA I always use Royal Mail’s signed for recorded delivery, that way you get a tracking number to check that is has actually arrived - or at least someone at DVLA has signed for the batch of mail containing your envelope! I checked my driving licence details on-line and I see it has all been renewed - my renewal included a photo update too. So I expect to get my shiny renewed licence back early next week. So probably just over one week. Nowhere near the length of time you have experienced. :frowning:

Might be worth using Royal Mail’s signed for recorded delivery in any future postal correspondence you have with the DVLA. :bulb:

Sir LANs-a-lot:
It sounds like you’ve been unlucky! I’ve always found DVLA to be pretty efficient. Just recently I’ve had to renew my digi-tacho card - I did this by 'phone last Wednesday (23rd July) and the new card was on my doormat today - so just three days! Likewise, when I did my final DCPC module (which was on a Friday) my shiny new DCPC card was on my doormat the following Tuesday - just four days!

I’ve also had to renew my LGV entitlement too (the renewal you have to do when you reach 45!) - I had my medical last Monday (21st of July) and sent the medical form and licence renewal form to the DVLA the same day. Any time I send stuff to the DVLA I always use Royal Mail’s signed for recorded delivery, that way you get a tracking number to check that is has actually arrived - or at least someone at DVLA has signed for the batch of mail containing your envelope! I checked my driving licence details on-line and I see it has all been renewed - my renewal included a photo update too. So I expect to get my shiny renewed licence back early next week. So probably just over one week. Nowhere near the length of time you have experienced. :frowning:

Might be worth using Royal Mail’s signed for recorded delivery in any future postal correspondence you have with the DVLA. :bulb:

Bet you wish you had just changed the photo a month before the medical was due and got 5 free years on the LGV entitlement?
Providing that was the first licence you have been issued since October 2012 - new style

ROG:
Bet you wish you had just changed the photo a month before the medical was due and got 5 free years on the LGV entitlement? …

Really! I wasn’t even aware you could do that - I could have saved myself £60 notes!

Now that’s the kind of useful information that should be taught on the DCPC courses, instead of YouTube clips of lorries in Eastern Block countries driving with missing front wheels! :unamused: :unamused:

Sir LANs-a-lot:

ROG:
Bet you wish you had just changed the photo a month before the medical was due and got 5 free years on the LGV entitlement? …

Really! I wasn’t even aware you could do that - I could have saved myself £60 notes!

Many on this site including me have done that - I found out by accident

Next short term 3 year medical was due Dec 2014
Photo expired Aug 2013 so went to post office and paid £24.50 all incl for them to do it all

Licence came back with LGV expiry in Aug 2018

When I queried this with DVLA they said its because it was the first licence issued to me after Oct 2012 to which an EU directive applied
It seems the FIRST issuing of this new style post 2012 licence resets medical expiry dates

ROG:
…When I queried this with DVLA they said its because it was the first licence issued to me after Oct 2012 to which an EU directive applied
It seems the FIRST issuing of this new style post 2012 licence resets medical expiry dates

I take it you can only do this trick once then?

The fact you could effectively “get away” with some potential medical issue for another five years does seem strange. A poorly designed set of rules or an overlooked loophole perhaps??

Sir LANs-a-lot:

ROG:
…When I queried this with DVLA they said its because it was the first licence issued to me after Oct 2012 to which an EU directive applied

I take it you can only do this trick once then?

The fact you could effectively “get away” with some potential medical issue for another five years does seem strange. A poorly designed set of rules or an overlooked loophole perhaps??

Just once

It does seem odd medically but then compare this …
Pre 97 C1 driver = no medical til age 70
Post 97 DSA test pass C1 driver = under D4 medical rules - those not requiring til age 70 will be older than those that do !!!
Same vehicle but different rules