DVLA are a joke

I passed my C+E with PTTS on April 15th and gave my examiner my licence to deal with, she said it could take upto 20 working days before I get it back. So although i was not too happy about that I did accept that if that is what it is then so be it.
Anyway last week i checked online to see my licence and if the new entitlement has been added, and sure enough it had.

So i gave DVLA a ring, i went through all the options available before i actually spoke to a human being, i was told that my licence had infact been posted out to me, i apologised and said that i would keep a eye open for the postman.

However by yesterday it still had not come and so i phoned them again and spoke to an advisor who stated that it appears to have been lost somewhere along the line and that she would cancel that one and reissue another, I thanked her and put the phone down but I had a niggly feeling about her telephone manner, so once again i phoned DVLA this morning and spoke to another advisor who confirmed that the first licence had indeed been issued,
when i explained that I had phoned yesterday and another had been issued, she told me that NO other licence had been issued and the she has no idea why the advisor had said that…so now, i have asked for my licence to be issued urgently, only to be told it can take upto 14 days…

I am currently unemployed but have a firm who will happily take me on as a NEW PASS…providing i show them my licence…the pass certificate is not enough,

so with the cost of the C+E course, the loss of earnings, this is now approaching 4k that i am down, i will be working every hour available for every day i am eligible to drive.

THANKS DVLA it will take me months to get that 4k back

OMG that’s frustrating! But, although DVLA are underperforming, it would be useful if the potential employer was more familiar with the rules. It’s perfectly acceptable (and normal) to drive on your pass certificate and they can double check your entitlement online. So, although it’s DVLA who have caused the issue, it would be good if the employer could be a bit more flexible. With you having photo id (CPC card), your pass certificate and online evidence, I cant see any reason why they are insisting on the licence.

But let’s hope it arrives sooner rather than later and you get started without any more delay.

All the very best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I used my pass certificate and provided a print out from Gov.uk to show entitlements along with a check code, the company I applied to were happy with that.

Peter Smythe:
OMG that’s frustrating! But, although DVLA are underperforming, it would be useful if the potential employer was more familiar with the rules. It’s perfectly acceptable (and normal) to drive on your pass certificate and they can double check your entitlement online. So, although it’s DVLA who have caused the issue, it would be good if the employer could be a bit more flexible. With you having photo id (CPC card), your pass certificate and online evidence, I cant see any reason why they are insisting on the licence.

But let’s hope it arrives sooner rather than later and you get started without any more delay.

All the very best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Peter, I will use this approach next week

Mrjen:
I used my pass certificate and provided a print out from Gov.uk to show entitlements along with a check code, the company I applied to were happy with that.

Thanks Mrjen, i will try this approach next week

Watched bbc watchdog the other day. Think it was Wednesday. And the DVLA are up to 2870 data breaches due to lost items of mail and items arriving to their office in Swansea and getting lost.
Very poor performance from a government authority. They seriously need to tighten up. Just a driving license has enough detail for someone to commit fraud.

I recently passed an left my card with the examiner to send off. Fingers crossed I’m not in the same predicament as you waiting for it to arrive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Without a doubt, there’s problems at DVLA. Having said that, their current performance is much much better than it used to be.

No comfort for the OP but statement of fact.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
It’s perfectly acceptable (and normal) to drive on your pass certificate and they can double check your entitlement online. So, although it’s DVLA who have caused the issue, it would be good if the employer could be a bit more flexible. With you having photo id (CPC card), your pass certificate and online evidence, I cant see any reason why they are insisting on the licence.

Very true Pete, however sometimes with certain companies company rules is rules until it works for them.

AFAIK DHL won’t accept a certificate as proof and even though they can check your licence online for entitlements.

Stupid really.

You can drive on Section 88 under road traffic act the company can check on line to view your licence