DVLA and depression

Does your doctor have to inform DVLA if diagnosed with depression and will they suspend your licence reglardless of being on anti depressants or not? Or can you still drive whilst on the medication?

gov.uk/depression-and-driving

Yeah, if you’re on meds then they will more than likely suspend your license because most anti-depressants have side effects that effect your driving.

Truck drivers should be telling DVLA themselves.

But many won’t because they don’t want their license at risk of being suspended. As wagon drivers we should be stringently medically examined every 3 years in my opinion.

But it won’t happen because loads of truck drivers will be out of a job. Depression though is something that is very difficult to diagnose I would have thought?

ItsJoe:
Yeah, if you’re on meds then they will more than likely suspend your license because most anti-depressants have side effects that effect your driving.

Totally untrue.

Mike_:

ItsJoe:

Totally untrue.

Which part? When you declare what meds you’re taking they will check side effects. Anything that you’re prescribed to take daily which has side effects that can effect ones ability to drive will result in license suspension until they investigate.

Well if it was true that you had your licence revoked for depression, there can’t be many on here left with a licence in that case.

Rowley010:
Does your doctor have to inform DVLA if diagnosed with depression

No.

Rowley010:
and will they suspend your licence reglardless of being on anti depressants or not?

Only if your depression affects your ability to drive.

Rowley010:
Or can you still drive whilst on the medication?

It depends on the medication and how you react to it.

Long-term chronic depression that is being treated with medication will get your license revoked. Why is that even up for debate?

ItsJoe:
Why is that even up for debate?

Because it’s not true.

Plenty of people who suffer from depression and take medication still drive.

ItsJoe:
Long-term chronic depression that is being treated with medication will get your license revoked. Why is that even up for debate?

Nope. Where are you getting your info from?

You must tell DVLA if your depression affects your ability to drive safely. <<<<From directgov. So if your condition or medication has no impact on your ability to drive you’re good to go.

TiredAndEmotional:

ItsJoe:

Nope. Where are you getting your info from?

You must tell DVLA if your depression affects your ability to drive safely. <<<<From directgov. So if your condition or medication has no impact on your ability to drive you’re good to go.

More chance of a night out with David Bowie than drivers being honest and informing DVLA.

ItsJoe:

Too true I’ve had my HGV revoked I was given new medication in January and I informed the DVLA they gave me a covering letter to keep driving until their medical team investigated further
Constant letters from my GP and psychiatrist saying that I was fit to drive
(I take my meds at night)
Didn’t matter to the DVLA in June this year they revoked my HGV licence but oddly I can still drive a 7 and a half tonner

The DVSA medical form (DV4) specifically mentions “Psychotic Depression” as being notifiable - there are other forms of depression where medication is prescribed which will not affect you ability to hold a vocational licence.

I had a really bad bout of depression in 2012 and was told I was fine to keep driving even on medication. DVLA will revoke/suspend your licence if you have suicidal thoughts (understandably) but as said above, there are many different kinds of depression. If you’re suffering from this, get as much help as you can, don’t fall for the “real men don’t cry” bollox and bottle it all up, talk it out with someone. It’s a bloody horrible illness but it can get better over time. Good luck pal

I suffered with reactive depression in 2011, I was off work for 6 weeks and on meds for 6 months. My doctor advised me to see how the meds effected me before trying to drive. For the first 2 weeks I had frequent dizzy spells and didn’t drive at all, after that it settled down and I drove the car as and when necessary. By the time I went back to work I had no adverse side effects.
At no point did my doctor advise me to inform the DVLA, so I didn’t.

I have been treated for anxiety and depression this year, I am currently on meds(sertraline). I informed the DVLA, they carried out their investigation and deemed me fit to carry on. I was expecting a suspension as I had suicidal thoughts. They let me carry on and after getting help from family, friend’s, gp and counselling I feel a million times better. Get all the help you need, there is a way through it.

ItsJoe:

Because you are wrong.

I take anti depressants for nerve pain and have done so for over 20 years. I’ve been on most of the pills on the market, the dvla are aware and it’s never had any ramifications on my license. I think each case is taken on its own merits.

Painkillers on the other hand are a different story. I had trouble with OxyContin which lost me my hgv entitlement for a few years and similarly methodone lost me my license for about 6 months, even though it was being used for long term pain management and not addiction. It was the best painkiller I have been on, but I had to make a choice, my livelihood or medication. So now I take morphine and codeine with the dvlas blessing.

The moral of the story, be honest with the dvla and your doctor, they should work together to find a medication that works for you and that you can continue to work on.