DVLA 2nd Eye test

I’m in the process of having my HGV and PSV entitlements considered for return on my Licence following a driving ban.

I’ve done the Doctors medical, and a full eye test at an opticians as required on the D4 form.

I have received a letter from the DVLA, yesterday, 5 weeks in to my application, saying I have to go to an approved local optician for a Visual field test , which they are funding. I rang them to ask them why I need this, and they tell me that it’s part of the EU regulations recently introduced as part of HGV driver medical renewals. The form tells me I will be tested for side vision. Has anyone recently gone through this, and what was the outcome. Did you pass ?

roughyed:
I’m in the process of having my HGV and PSV entitlements considered for return on my Licence following a driving ban.

I’ve done the Doctors medical, and a full eye test at an opticians as required on the D4 form.

I have received a letter from the DVLA, yesterday, 5 weeks in to my application, saying I have to go to an approved local optician for a Visual field test , which they are funding. I rang them to ask them why I need this, and they tell me that it’s part of the EU regulations recently introduced as part of HGV driver medical renewals. The form tells me I will be tested for side vision. Has anyone recently gone through this, and what was the outcome. Did you pass ?

I go through this every 3 years due to having glaucoma in my right eye

The DVLA test is using both eyes to see light spots on a screen and click every time you see one - they appear in different places and do not expect you to see them all unless you have 6 eyes all at different angles !!

You will be excused this “Peripheral vision” ,test if you drive a Scania with big frilly curtains…

All right,I’ve got me head down!

The only eye tests i’ve had are the usual cover one eye and read the chart, but i think he did do the moving his finger from one side to the other to see if my eyes followed it, maybe that’s it.

but on the funny side. the thread title says “DVLA 2nd eye test”. i couldn’t help thinking, why not get them both done at once. :laughing:
sorry. i’ll get me coat.

On a serious note,the eyesight test has tightened up this year.In fact one or two items have on the medical.
Up until my last medical,the eyesight requirement,with or without glasses, was 6/9,meaning that at 6 metres,you could read the letters of size 9 on the Snellen chart.
Now the requirement is 6/7.5,which is the next line down the chart.
Perfect vision is 6/6.
Also,blood pressure used to have a maximum allowable reading of 180 systolic,which is quite high when the norm is 110 to 130.
On the new D4,there is no maximum given,does this mean that the DVLA doc,when he checks the submitted D4, can use his discretion as to whether your BP is too high?

bestbooties:
On a serious note,the eyesight test has tightened up this year.In fact one or two items have on the medical.
Up until my last medical,the eyesight requirement,with or without glasses, was 6/9,meaning that at 6 metres,you could read the letters of size 9 on the Snellen chart.
Now the requirement is 6/7.5,which is the next line down the chart.
Perfect vision is 6/6.
Also,blood pressure used to have a maximum allowable reading of 180 systolic,which is quite high when the norm is 110 to 130.
On the new D4,there is no maximum given,does this mean that the DVLA doc,when he checks the submitted D4, can use his discretion as to whether your BP is too high?

The limit on the test has actually been relaxed not tightend up. I thought that when I read of the changes but my consultant at the hospital told me they have actually made it easier. The requirement used to be 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the weaker one measured on a snellen chart. The requirement now is 6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/60 in the weaker one.

The doc who does our medicals told me that the “protein in the pee” test has gone.

roughyed:

Is the optician eye test mandatory for all medicals now or just after a bann ?
I assumed it was just doc with snellen charts.
The visual field test I’ve done when getting new
glasses, do I have to do it for the med which is later this year for me
Jim

bestbooties:
You will be excused this “Peripheral vision” ,test if you drive a Scania with big frilly curtains…

All right,I’ve got me head down!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JFC999:

roughyed:

Is the optician eye test mandatory for all medicals now or just after a bann ?
I assumed it was just doc with snellen charts.
The visual field test I’ve done when getting new
glasses, do I have to do it for the med which is later this year for me
Jim

The DVLA tell me it’s part of a new EU regulation introduced around last December, and is part of all HGV/PSV renewals.

I’ve just had my age 45 medical for HGV, just did the old cover one eye and read the bottom line on the chart, then swap over do the same with the other eye, same as normal.

roughyed:
…I have received a letter from the DVLA, yesterday, 5 weeks in to my application, saying I have to go to an approved local optician for a Visual field test , which they are funding.

Did the optician tick box “Yes” to Para. 6 on Page 1 of the D4, i.e. history of a medical condition affecting field of vision? “If formal visual field testing is considered necessary, DVLA will commission this at a later date.

Herongate:
…just did the old cover one eye and read the bottom line on the chart, then swap over do the same with the other eye, same as normal.

Some docs aren’t qualified to do the eye test though, mine said he wasn’t, ■■■■ knows why, so optician it needs to be.

Peter Smythe:
The doc who does our medicals told me that the “protein in the pee” test has gone.

I had to do one in April, nothing on the D4 regarding this so again, ■■■■ knows why.

bestbooties:
On a serious note,the eyesight test has tightened up this year…Now the requirement is 6/7.5,which is the next line down the chart…

That’s the way I see it, or not as the case may be! :laughing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
The limit on the test has actually been relaxed not tightend up…The requirement used to be 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the weaker one measured on a snellen chart. The requirement now is 6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/60 in the weaker one.

I got 6/9 and 6/12, the same as 5 years ago, but I now have “01” plastered all over my licence (ALL Categories!)…along with a new nick-name…“Specky!” :cry:

roughyed:

I had the same on my medical last august, plus I had to go for a heart scan, no previous problems with my heart. It seems to me when you get to 65 its age discrimination with the DVLA. It took the DVLA 26 weeks to get my licence back to me, so I was out of work for that term as I work in Germany on Abnormal Loads to Eastern Bloc. I will not be bothering this year. Retirement here we come.