Dutch and Belgian Operators

Hi…

I’m looking for a list of operators in B and NL who might be good to work for.
If anyone could throw a few names up to jog my memory I’d appreciate it.

I worked for NSE back in 2003/4 - But they didn’t respond to an email I sent them last week.
I’m not saying I never screwed up, but I don’t remember screwing up with those guys :wink:

It may be that they are just not interested on anyone who’s not there on the spot?

So I’m going to bump across there this week and knock on a few doors.

If anyone is interested in joining me to split costs for the fuel & ferry etc, just send me an email.
Myself and a mate did that in 2003 and both got hired on the spot, but that was a few years ago and things might have changed so no promises.

job212@yahoo.com

TooTall:
but that was a few years ago and things might have changed so no promises.

Things certainly have changed, welcome by the way.

bald bloke:

TooTall:
but that was a few years ago and things might have changed so no promises.

Things certainly have changed, welcome by the way.

Probably best to dress in tracky bottoms,sweaty wifebeater and flip flops,practice some Polish/Latvian/Bulgarian phrases and you’ll get a start :wink:

Thanks for the welcome BB…

I believe SITRA (Belgium) were still taking Brit drivers a couple of years ago. Robert

Thanks Robert. I’ve been to the their tank cleaning base in Sailly-sur-lys a few times, and they seem a pretty well run outfit - although the last tank wash took nearly 5 hours due to huge the amount of trucks wanting their services.
Wish I had the money to open a tank wash :wink:
Will give them a go!
Cheers…

Don’t go too far out of your way chasing Sitra: like many EU operators they’ve currently got a plentiful share of cut-price drivers currently steering their trucks :frowning:

~Craig

Dutch firm with blue potatoe trailers, are after drivers, not sure of their name.

toby1234abc:
Dutch firm with blue potatoe trailers, are after drivers, not sure of their name.

Butters?

kjw21:

toby1234abc:

Butters?

Was going to say them … but aren’t they now part of A.B Texel :question:

Try Visbeen and Post Kogeko both in Maasdijk Holland 10 minutes from the Hook ferry, Verhoek are also looking for drivers but I think this is for work based in the UK

I saw recently Butters have a huge order for new Scanias, replacements or additional it didn’t say. Not all NL firms welcome tracksuits mind, my advice would be to jump in car and go knocking, it worked for me many moons ago at H&S, best 7 years of my life bar none, however even they looked east in the end. Plenty of fridge firms in Maasland area, perhaps an idea to be flexible in where you go, ie not just to UK. Try to speak a bit as well, I found a little went a long way.

Thanks Boys…

I’m not fussed where I run to really.
I speak French, Spanish and German ( misspent youth :blush: - but unfortunately no Dutch

Only fly in the ointment is I tried to change the plugs in my Focus today and found them rusted in.
Water has leaked in through the Allen key plugs that replace the Welch plugs/Freeze plugs in earlier models.
Said to myself ’ don’t heave on that plug too hard ’ - then hove on the ■■■■■■ thing too hard…

Anyone need a half a sparkplug ? :laughing:

I appreciate the tips, I will drop back and let you know how I get on.

Cheers…TT

Hope this helps.

VOS Logistics are currently looking for Monday to Friday trampers at their Uithoorn depot. They stipulate that Dutch as well as English should be spoken, but for the right guy, they might relax on that. Worth a shot.

While you’re at Uithoorn, check out nearby Mijdrecht where there are two large companies. Breewell Transport and Brouwers Transport. May be worth showing your face.

HSF Logistics are currently recruiting international drivers at their Winterswijk depot.

Also, check out two locations which have large industrial estates which house several transport companies on each estate. That’s Barendrecht and Waddinxveen. Mooi Logistics are one of the major players at Waddinxveen.

As you travel up through Belgium and Holland, and depending on the time of day, it’s worth pulling into each of the services and seeing if there are any Belgian or Dutch plated trucks amongst the sea of EE’s? The drivers invariably speak some English and may have some info on who is recruiting.

Good luck with the search.

Thanks a lot Citycat…Very informative post.

I’m delayed one week due to car problems, but leaving Friday week for a weekend in Amsterdam, and then taking the trip in reverse order.

Would you suggest an order of preference ? in terms of which would be the best to work for (you know much more than me)

I know beggars can’t be choosers, but it would be a shame to get on with a 2nd rate outfit if there’s a first rate operator just down the road.

The last time I did this I signed on with the the first operator I went to, and although I didn’t regret it; I’m planning a longer term move this time, and would like to fall on my feet if given the choice. I’m not saying that I’m a star driver, but I want to go in with a positive attitude and I have a fair bit of experience in euro ops, 15 years, so unless the lack of Dutch kicks me into touch. I should do okay in an interview.

I don’t think a driver has much of an option to really say ’ Can I think about it’ …if given an opportunity.
And then look around for a better deal. Basically if they say yes and the terms seem okay, I’ll more or less sign on then and there.
I’ve never discovered the art of negotiation at interviews and invariably take whatever they offer :blush:

PM or email if you prefer? job212@yahoo.com

Thanks again …TT

As already suggested by someone else, Verhoek is another large company to try for. The Dutch brother of a friend of ours drives for them out of Genemuiden near the German border. He goes to the UK every week delivering carpets and artificial grass to distribution centres. He spends all week there, going back to one of the ports several times to do trailer swaps with unaccompanied trailers that have been sent over, and then comes back to Holland for the weekend. He reckons a few of his Dutch colleagues don’t like the UK work so they sometimes struggle to fill the runs. Definitely worth a shot.

Finally, try and get in with one of the many companies doing the flower work to the UK and other countries. Spend some time hanging around the Aalsmeer flower auction, and speak to the drivers loading up there. They will all speak English and hopefully give you some info.

There was an article in a Dutch paper a few weeks back, kindly translated by my wife who is Dutch. It reckons there is a driver shortage in Holland due to the lack of people coming into the industry who are put off by the prohibitive cost of getting their licenses, and the government is trying to persuade companies to offer some sort of driver apprentice scheme with the help of government subsidies.

Hard to believe there is a shortage when you see the amount of EE units pulling Dutch plated trailers, but that’s what it said.

I used to love going to Holland, all be it 20-30 years ago. If you were running around Europe and had a problem, a Dutchman would (A) always be somewhere near by and (B) would always help you out, well that was my experience anyway. I bet after the info that citycat has just posted, you wont be the only driver heading to Holland and looking for work! Get your arse over there quick :laughing: and don’t forget to let us know how you got on. :wink: Good luck.

Morning Chaps…

Citycat: Thanks mate, All very much appreciated. I have seen many of the blinged up units on flowers, but don’t really know what the job entails, do you have any knowledge what the actual work is? or could anyone else advise ? - Sorry for the constant questions!

I’m actually looking for something that keeps me mostly out of the UK.
I have a pretty good job here already, but the Continental work has been drying up for quite a while, and I’ve had one too many interactions with the ‘walking dead’ that inhabit most distribution centres.

I complained about the filthy toilets in an DC a few weeks ago, the response was; it’s your driver mates that make it like that.
My response was; what option do we have when you don’t even provide a toilet brush or any cleaning products ?
Any toilet is going to get filthy if there’s no way to clean up after yourself. A bunch of Drivers or a bunch of Nuns.
He just shrugged and closed the little window

I swear I want to climb through that little window and wreak havoc sometimes. Just from the pent up frustration of dealing with filthy drivers rooms,filthy toilets or no toilets, no parking on the road outside and: Your late mate! as if it’s escaped my attention!

Not even paid parking available in main MSA’s after 9.00pm without having your arse out in the road somewhere.

Okay…I’m preaching to the choir, but you all know what I mean.

I stopped at the Agip garage in Kranj, Slovenia a few weeks ago. The guy ran out and washed the windshield and gave me a button/token for free lunch. I had only taken 260 litres to top the tank off.
Okay it’s an exception, but highlights the ■■■■ poor attitudes we get at home.

I feel better now :laughing:

Bullit:

Those were the days eh?
I also wondered about the possibility that I might have some stiff competition from other drivers as well- after all the advice given here, but hopefully there will be a job or two left over :slight_smile:

Stay safe all and thanks again.

ps: Any ideas re: Belgian operators? …
pps: Any advice on fixing a stripped spark plug hole in a focus - Anyone want to buy a nice 3 cylinder Focus: :blush:

Hello Too Tall, sorry to hear about car problems! I don’t have any leads other than generally poke your head in the doors of firms in the large transport areas such as Waddinxveen, Maasland ,Barendrecht etc, I’m surprised to hear that even they have a driver shortage, sign of the times. Let us all know how you get on and enjoy the w-e in Amsterdam {green with envy!}

When you eventually get going, cross the channel with DFDS from Dover to Dunkerque, normally the best rates. As you leave Dunkirk on the port road, you will probably see some Nordic Transport trucks parked up by a warehouse. If you see any drivers, maybe have a word with them if they know of anything? Their depot is in Koekange, Holland, near to Gemuidan where Verhoek are located. So you can knock those two off at the same time.

As you head up towards Antwerp, you will see Gilbert de Clerq’s depot, a large Belgian transport company. I think you come off at junction 15 St Niklaas for their yard.

When you get to Antwerp, maybe worth dropping into H. Essers, (youtube Trucking Girl’s old outfit). I think they are all Polish plated units, but you never know, they might want a Brit to join the team. Not sure what the pay rate would be though?

Regarding the flowers work, a friend of ours has a flower stall in London. He orders all his stock online. Then his Dutch supplier shows up in the middle of the night in a blinged up Daf XF twice a week. The driver has keys to the shed where he keeps his stall, and stores the cages containing all his new stock in the shed. The cages are all pre loaded into the truck at the auction place and the driver just wheels them off.

Other flower companies do their deliveries during the day when the flower shops are open, and either deliver the cages then, or sell stock direct from the back of the trailer where the flowers are all in compartments according to flower types.

Just in case you fancied supermarket work, which I’m sure you wouldn’t, Jumbo and Albert Heijn are the main two in Holland. Jumbo has the fancy looking yellow Scanias with matching yellow trailers.

Hope you’re writing all this down :smiley: