Dustcart driver considering mixer work

So, I’m currently considering applying for a volumetric mixer job with a local company. Salary is £35-£40k and training provided ‘for the right candidate’.

I’m currently on the dustcarts and tbh have a fairly cushy job as I only collect dry mixed recyclables and don’t do much of the city centre (although I’m comfortable with manoeuvres in heavy traffic etc).

Current salary is early £30k’s for a 9.5 hour shift and was probs about £35k when I could be arsed to do overtime. My reason for considering other jobs is that I currently work the evening and think I could get a similar salary on days in the right job - my employer pays a fair bit less for the day shift and it wouldn’t suit me as it’s actually more antisocial than the afternoon/evening shift as it’s 4am-2pm - did it for a year on agency and never got used to it.

What do I need to be aware of with mixer work? Don’t mind getting dirty and although I’ve only had my Class 2 for a little over three years, I think I’m a pretty competent driver as I spend almost as much time reversing as going forwards.

Also interested in tipper work. My workmate was offered a job following a day’s trial and he had only been driving 18 months at the time. He turned it down as he didn’t want to work every other Saturday morn but I’d happily work that to get my evenings back and it was also time and a half.

Salary was about £35k and was quarry work he said. A few long days here and there but I can handle that.

Don’t load Mondays 1st load on a Friday [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

New pastures

I did 6 months on the mixers and hated it. Your not rushed around but waiting around at the end of the day for a “make up” this is where they don’t order what they need until the whole pour is nearly done and your the poor ■■■■ rushing down with the extra they need. You have to clean the concrete off trucks with pure acid as well, smells terrible and burns your skin if it touches it. You don’t get that dirty, mainly wet from constantly washing your truck after every load and standing outside doing stupid barrow jobs. I’ve also worked for the council on the bins and would prefer that. Now im on skips which is easy but get filthy. Going do ADR next month and get into better money stuff. Good luck mate

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk