Durabrights

To all of you ocd truck drivers with alcoa durabrights. Just bought a set of durabrights Whats the best way to keep them in top condition? Thanks

Keep them in the box they came in? :wink:

Lucas metal polish. Although I’ve had mine since November and they’ve not needed polishing yet. Ask this man Chrome (northwest) ltd | Middlewich

the maoster:
Keep them in the box they came in? :wink:

Lol

How much did they cost as I Carnt find a website that lists the prices for them

If they are DEFINATLY Durabrites, they DONT NEED POLISHING! Soapy water will do, and they will stay shiney forever.
If they are ‘normal’ Alcoa Alloy’s then they need LOTS of polishing, (Maguires, Peek, Autosol just to name a few)
A bloke i knew put a set of Durabrites on his motor, they were totally knackered after a while as he was putting chemicals on them to clean them, and they went ‘milky’.

Pay someone else minimum wage to keep them clean :laughing:

Whilst I’ll not knock someone for keeping there motor tidy, I was fuelling up the other day and there was a bloke with a blinged up Scania polishing his wheel nut covers. Working for a company that expects max hours every day for a lowish rate.

325 per wheel plus vat.

8wheels:
Pay someone else minimum wage to keep them clean :laughing:

Whilst I’ll not knock someone for keeping there motor tidy, I was fuelling up the other day and there was a bloke with a blinged up Scania polishing his wheel nut covers. Working for a company that expects max hours every day for a lowish rate.

it wasn’t a blue and white one by any chance, sounds like my work mate he’s got ocd when it comes to cleaning things :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had a set, sold them. Not good experience.

Apparently you leave a note in the truck that states:
If you wash the truck, do not wash the wheels :laughing:

I know what they have going on there, but I couldn`t possibly mention it on a public forum :sunglasses:

What problems did you have with them Mr Vain

What are durabrights?

FarnboroughBoy11:
What are durabrights?

Shiny shiny things ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ally wheels that stay shiny :grimacing:

To be fair to the ordinary Alcoa Alloys, IF you spend a bit of time polishing them up when new before the salt can do its worse and pit them, they will stay very presentable with an occasional bit of TLC.

First polish is the worse serious elbow grease reqd, but subsequent times much easier, worth doing IMO as pitted dull alloys look dreadful and ruins the best paint schemes.

Will Durabrights last long term or do they eventually scab over?

edit due to yet another speeling mistake, getting worse in me dotage.

I’ve had Durabrites on my truck now for around 18 months.

Other than a couple of coats of fine body polish when I got them I’ve just kept them clean by washing them with soap and water as often as possible. I won’t let any TFR near the truck.

They have remained as shiny as the day they were fitted but I have noticed that the surface seems to scratch on them very easily and on the fronts there are a couple of tiny milky patches where it looks like they’ve been splashed with something. I do wonder if it’s tyre finish because a couple of our trucks have similar marks but much noticeable and they are the ones always splashing the stuff on.

I’ve heard mixed reports on whether you can use metal polish on them to remove the light scratches/dull spots. Does anybody know for sure?.

Cheers
Neilf

Dura-Bright® is not a coating, but a surface treatment that penetrates the aluminum and becomes an integral part of the wheel. It will not chip, crack, peel or corrode, like conventional coatings do. These wheels do not need polishing. Regular washing with soap and water will keep them shiny, even after hundreds of washes and thousands of miles.

205:
Dura-Bright[REGISTERED SIGN] is not a coating, but a surface treatment that penetrates the aluminum and becomes an integral part of the wheel. It will not chip, crack, peel or corrode, like conventional coatings do. These wheels do not need polishing. Regular washing with soap and water will keep them shiny, even after hundreds of washes and thousands of miles.

Lifted straight from Alcoa’s website I believe.

Although they are pretty good in the real world they do scratch and fade. I’m not afraid to admit my truck is minded like a baby and mine are still marked.

Cheers
Neilf

205:
Dura-Bright® is not a coating, but a surface treatment that penetrates the aluminum and becomes an integral part of the wheel. It will not chip, crack, peel or corrode, like conventional coatings do. These wheels do not need polishing. Regular washing with soap and water will keep them shiny, even after hundreds of washes and thousands of miles.

Thanks for that i did wonder if it was a similar but far more industrial coating like they put on Mercedes and some Ford car alloys, diamond cut and laquered which lasts about 2 years of average car mileage if you’re lucky (so one of our winters and they’d be buggered), then you get spiders webs of corrosion creeping under the lacquer then turn milky and they look really shoddy in very short order.

Oh well didn’t get Durabright option when issued with my vehicle so i’ll just have to keep up the elbow grease.

Had a look at mine this afternoon and genuine DuraBrights as against polished Alcoas have “DuraBright” on the little triangle sticker and also in the part number stamped on the rim there is a “D”.

Cheers
Neilf