Duncan Sharpe and sons Barnsley

Any one out there got any old pics of there motors, my dad did a bit for them in the 70s think they run mostlly Atki borders and sedon atkinsons.
Atb Kev

Hi Captain,
I remember the frim well. My dad also drove for them in the 70s when I was just knee high to a grasshopper!
I have a couple of pics of their wagons, not Borderer’s though I have been trawling for pics of them for ages, and they are very rare). I have snaps of the later SedAks. I will post them on here in the next day or so…gotta dash…work n all that :frowning: Cheers.

Cheers, i remember watching calender on the tv and a wagon had turned over, cant remember were it was in yorkshire but it was one of Sharpies, also have memories of been bounced all over the cab when me dad was driving down that long lane to the yard lol
Atb Kev

I also remember the long uneven track that lead down to their yard…it was just off Shaw lane in Carlton. I also remember the yard being a bit of a mud patch too. I was only about 5 or 6 when dad drove for them but I remember loving going with him for a ride in the wagon. Many years later, when they moved up to carlton industrial estate (opposite what was BRS) the fleet was mainly DAF 105’s, but they still maintained the red livery with the thick white band round the cab mid height. Dad also says that in the early days, the fleet started life as Royal Blue in colour. Their trailers were mainly flats, with a limited number of plain Blue curtainsiders (a luxury in them days). They did a lot of work for British Gypsum, delivering plaster board to the building sites.
Below are a couple of images for your enjoyment…sorry, but still trawling for a picture of the Borderer’s.

I’m afraid I don’t know the location or the driver of this one. The wagon’s VRM was OHD 412P, which would time the picture around 1976/7 (I think :confused: ) At this time, the sedaks were phasing the border’s out.

This was one of their later wagons, and I believe it was taken at Albert Dock in Liverpool. The VRM for the wagon was EHE 642V, which would time the picture around 1980. Sorry, don’t know who the driver is…maybe you do.

hilltop4:
I also remember the long uneven track that lead down to their yard…it was just off Shaw lane in Carlton. I also remember the yard being a bit of a mud patch too. I was only about 5 or 6 when dad drove for them but I remember loving going with him for a ride in the wagon. Many years later, when they moved up to carlton industrial estate (opposite what was BRS) the fleet was mainly DAF 105’s, but they still maintained the red livery with the thick white band round the cab mid height. Dad also says that in the early days, the fleet started life as Royal Blue in colour. Their trailers were mainly flats, with a limited number of plain Blue curtainsiders (a luxury in them days). They did a lot of work for British Gypsum, delivering plaster board to the building sites.
Below are a couple of images for your enjoyment…sorry, but still trawling for a picture of the Borderer’s.

I’m afraid I don’t know the location or the driver of this one. The wagon’s VRM was OHD 412P, which would time the picture around 1976/7 (I think :confused: ) At this time, the sedaks were phasing the border’s out.

This was one of their later wagons, and I believe it was taken at Albert Dock in Liverpool. The VRM for the wagon was EHE 642V, which would time the picture around 1980. Sorry, don’t know who the driver is…maybe you do.

The photos are of my old mans lorries.The sed ak day cab is on Pontefract cattle market before they made half of it a car park.The year is 78.The sleeper cab is deffo on Tilbury Docks in 81.Iwas still at school on the first photo and just left school on the second pic.My Dads name is John Benson,he was at Sharpies from about 77 to 89.I will get some more pics from him to scan,he has quite a few.Some are with the blue tautliners mentioned earlier.There may be 1 or 2 borderers,he had about 5 different ones in his 1st year there before he got OHD 412P the sed ak day cab. lilbow73

Excellent pictures cheers, when i was driving for glenndinnig we used to load out of cardif steel works with sharpies drivers, many a night spent in the club they showed me lol

MY MATE RICHARD WRIGHT WAS THE FITTER AT THE WIGAN DEPOT IN THE EARLY 80S.I COVERED FOR HIM ONCE ON HOLIDAY RELIEF.I WAS TOLD TO GO AND SEE THE MANAGER PRIOR TO STARTING.HIS NAME WAS CLIVE.(A VERY LOUD)BRUMMIE.I PARKED MY BIKE UP AT THE ENTRANCE AND STROLLED ACROSS THE YARD AND PATTED THE YARD DOG ON THE HEAD,TURNED OUT THE DOG WAS A KILLER?.ONE OF THE DRIVERS SQUARED IT OF ON THE TOP OF ITS HEAD WITH A WINDING HANDLE WHEN IT WENT FOR HIM ON HIS WAY BACK TO HIS WAGON AFTER HED BEEN TO THE PUB.NEEDLESS TO SAY I GAVE IT A BIT OF A WIDE BERTH AFTER THAT…IN ABOUT 1984 I DID A BIT OF DRIVING FOR THEM WHEN THEY MOVED TO IRLAM.THEY USED TO DO A LOT FOR GRANTS OF ST JAMES THEN,I REMEMBER THE TACKLE BEING CRAP…SHEETS WITH NO TIES …AND THE WAGONS NEVER SAW A GREASE GUN AT ALL CANT REMEMBER SEEING MUCH OF THEM AFTER THAT :frowning:

hilltop4:
Hi Captain,
I remember the frim well. My dad also drove for them in the 70s when I was just knee high to a grasshopper!
I have a couple of pics of their wagons, not Borderer’s though I have been trawling for pics of them for ages, and they are very rare). I have snaps of the later SedAks. I will post them on here in the next day or so…gotta dash…work n all that :frowning: Cheers.

hi my dad brain newton would like to have your dads number to get in touch i wd realy apresheat it fnx

The photos are of my old mans lorries.The sed ak day cab is on Pontefract cattle market before they made half of it a car park.The year is 78.The sleeper cab is deffo on Tilbury Docks in 81.Iwas still at school on the first photo and just left school on the second pic.My Dads name is John Benson,he was at Sharpies from about 77 to 89.I will get some more pics from him to scan,he has quite a few.Some are with the blue tautliners mentioned earlier.There may be 1 or 2 borderers,he had about 5 different ones in his 1st year there before he got OHD 412P the sed ak day cab. lilbow73
[/quote]
Hi lilbow73, thanks for the corrections and the info. Can’t wait to see the pics you say that you are going to try and post. Cheers.

Captain Webb:
Any one out there got any old pics of there motors, my dad did a bit for them in the 70s think they run mostlly Atki borders and sedon atkinsons.
Atb Kev

hey up captain webb are u kev who did a bit wi me at brownies stairfoot my dadworked 4 sharpies n still dojng a bit at 70 lol

uk sameday:

Captain Webb:
Atb Kev

hey up captain webb are u kev who did a bit wi me at brownies stairfoot my dadworked 4 sharpies n still dojng a bit at 70 lol

Yes am Kev, is this Alan?

yes kev it is long time no see hope u ok pal been on tankers 4 last 7 years sin brownie packed up not same was there 17 years would go bak 2moro 4 the crack we had ther e THEM WA GOOD OWD DAYS LOL

sure was Alan 01709 570501 give us a ring some time tommorrow pal

Captain Webb:
sure was Alan 01709 570501 give us a ring some time tommorrow pal

WILL DO WOT U UP 2 THESE DAYS

Good to speak today pal

Captain Webb:
Good to speak today pal

IT WAS FOR ME KEV WILL HAVE TO KEEP IN TOUCH ON HERE PAL US FROM OWD SCHOOL KNOW BEST LMAO :stuck_out_tongue:

hilltop4:

Hi lilbow73, thanks for the corrections and the info. Can’t wait to see the pics you say that you are going to try and post. Cheers.
[/quote]
John Benson what a guy i worked with him at J.Cutts good man …

DODGER BARNSLEY:

hilltop4:

John Benson what a guy i worked with him at J.Cutts good man …
[/quote]
Hi Dodger,let me know your name and I will pass it on to my Dad.Going to see him later in week so I will try to get those photos.

How many trucks did sharpy run in his heyday ?