Dumb as a box of rocks

taffytrucker:
Was in Idaho last week getting a pack of smokes and was mistaken for a Canadian untill I pointed out its like saying she sounds like she comes from Memphis lol look on her face was priceless

Been mistaken for Austrailian yet? That seems to be the most common one in the US.

Was in Idaho last week getting a pack of smokes and was mistaken for a Canadian untill I pointed out its like saying she sounds like she comes from Memphis lol look on her face was priceless

If the lady encounters a lot of H&R drivers passing through she has probably come to the conclusion that Canadians talk with British accents.

wire:

If the lady encounters a lot of H&R drivers passing through she has probably come to the conclusion that Canadians talk with British accents.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What’s that all aboot eh :grimacing:

wire:

And that they wear wraparound stetsons :laughing:

newmercman:

wire:

And that they wear wraparound stetsons :laughing:

Yeah but the wraparounds are easy to spot parked in the ditches :wink:

Stopped at Loves in Lamar Co for fuel the other day ■■■■■■■ the counter was a Manc. Turns out her and her work mates was having a bet if I was canadian or a brit needless to say the mac wench won lol

taffytrucker:
Stopped at Loves in Lamar Co for fuel the other day ■■■■■■■ the counter was a Manc. Turns out her and her work mates was having a bet if I was canadian or a brit needless to say the mac wench won lol

I know that lass, and we were in there today!

mickfly:

taffytrucker:

You stalking me mick?? Following me round the country lol

We have them here too, like the bloke riding round Northampton looking for Southampton docks :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
We have them here too, like the bloke riding round Northampton looking for Southampton docks :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

About 20 years ago I came across a driver in Northwich about 8:30 in the morning looking for an industrial estate no one had heard of. He’d been driving round for ages and panicing he’d be in trouble as he’d missed his 8:00 booking. When I looked at his paperwork he was supposed to be in Norwich :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

Wheel Nut:

About 20 years ago I came across a driver in Northwich about 8:30 in the morning looking for an industrial estate no one had heard of. He’d been driving round for ages and panicing he’d be in trouble as he’d missed his 8:00 booking. When I looked at his paperwork he was supposed to be in Norwich :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I had a similar encounter during the early 80’s. Met a bloke in Stroud, Gloucestershire who was looking for a drop and I looked at his notes to find he should have been in Strood, Kent :laughing:

Okkaaayyy, confession time I’m afraid… :blush: A couple of years ago I had to do a recovery job for a lady from the North-East who’s car had broken down in Mansfield. She told me to take it back to “Grangetown” and she’d get it fixed by a local garage. Unfortunately there are 2 places by the name of Grangetown up that way… I ended up between Seaham docks and Sunderland and after failing to locate the desired address I realised that I should have been at Grangetown in Middlesborough!! Had a summer job in South Shields when I was younger so I should have known better but there you go!!! Magical mystery tour of the A19 on company diesel, hahaha!!

Duck:
Okkaaayyy, confession time I’m afraid… :blush: A couple of years ago I had to do a recovery job for a lady from the North-East who’s car had broken down in Mansfield. She told me to take it back to “Grangetown” and she’d get it fixed by a local garage. Unfortunately there are 2 places by the name of Grangetown up that way… I ended up between Seaham docks and Sunderland and after failing to locate the desired address I realised that I should have been at Grangetown in Middlesborough!! Had a summer job in South Shields when I was younger so I should have known better but they’re you go!!! Magical mystery tour of the A19 on company diesel, hahaha!!

And a good man to admit it :slight_smile:

I took over the phone instructions to load in Enfield, opened the AtoZ and found the place so I set off, after an hour or so I got there and could not find the firm I was looking for, so went to another phone box and told the man, he called me a useless ■■■■ and said HEN Field, Sussex not [zb]ing EN Field, Middlesex :blush:

Easy mistake with a London accent, we don’t do H’s :laughing:

Heard plenty of stories about people going to the wrong Reggio when I was doing Italy, not so much of a problem if you went to Reggio Emilia instead of Reggio Calabria, apart from being a bit late, but do it the other way around and it was a bloody expensive mistake to make :laughing:

I also went to the wrong Livorno once, but that wasn’t my fault, the notes said Livorno, the office told me Livorno, so i went to Livorno. I should’ve gone to Livorno Ferraris, which coincidentally was a few miles away from my first drop in Vercelli :laughing: Instead I did a full day’s driving down to Livorno without the Ferraris and then another full day back to the Livorno with the Ferraris, I could see the chimneys of the first drop from the correct delivery too :laughing:

It’s even easier to make mistakes over here as you well know Mark. We have a drop in Lebanon PA and on the way we pass by Lebanon NJ. We have drops in Lancaster PA and Lancaster NY. Springfield MA which is on I-91, Springfield VT just off I-91 about an hour and 30 minutes further north, which in turn and just west of Springfield NH. We also have a drop in Bethlehem PA and this can be confused by some as Bethlehem NY.
Then there’s the riddiculous road system which can confuse even the hardest driver… I-95 south in CT and NY then splits in NJ to an eastern and western spur so you need to know which one you need for deliveries in areas north of Newark Airport, then you get to I-195 at exit 7A and I-95 (the NJ turnpike) just becomes the trunpike but if you head west on I-195 and then north on I-295 you will soon find yourself back on I-95 south but in PA which runs down the eastern side of Philly and joins what was the NJ turnpike below the Delaware Memorial bridge, if you just stay on the NJ pike anyway you get to the same spot about an hour quicker. Comming north and looking at the map you think if you just stay on I-95 it will take you through NJ to the GW Bridge … Wrong ! It takes you through PA and then if you don’t know how to get to I-95 in NJ you are stuffed, Basically you have two I-95’s running alongside eachother for a while in two different states. Not to mention how many I-495’s there are throughout the north east.
Confused ? … so am I even after all these years.

newmercman:
I took over the phone instructions to load in Enfield, opened the AtoZ and found the place so I set off, after an hour or so I got there and could not find the firm I was looking for, so went to another phone box and told the man, he called me a useless [zb] and said HEN Field, Sussex not [zb]ing EN Field, Middlesex :blush:

Easy mistake with a London accent, we don’t do H’s :laughing:

Heard plenty of stories about people going to the wrong Reggio when I was doing Italy, not so much of a problem if you went to Reggio Emilia instead of Reggio Calabria, apart from being a bit late, but do it the other way around and it was a bloody expensive mistake to make :laughing:

I also went to the wrong Livorno once, but that wasn’t my fault, the notes said Livorno, the office told me Livorno, so i went to Livorno. I should’ve gone to Livorno Ferraris, which coincidentally was a few miles away from my first drop in Vercelli :laughing: Instead I did a full day’s driving down to Livorno without the Ferraris and then another full day back to the Livorno with the Ferraris, I could see the chimneys of the first drop from the correct delivery too :laughing:

I’m toying with the idea of heading over to the Reggio Emilia neighbourhood in the near future as I might be able to get some work collecting fair rides from the various factories and delivering them back to UK & Irish customers.
An O/D from Oxon. used to get most of the work but he’s recently passed away… Several factories are willing to meet with me to discuss my proposal but I feel a bit like I’d be jumping on the man’s grave… Having said that nobody else is going to take care of me and there’s no way I can work any longer for some [zb] in the UK on £8 an hour. Therefore I’ve decided to take the plunge and have a go myself… Already got 2 recovery trucks on the go in the East Midlands and if things work out I might have a tractor unit on the road in the near future. Suppose I’ll end up being labelled as a [zb] to work for next!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If it doesn’t work out, get me a job driving one a 'dem Manitoba Petes with endless supplies of Tim Horton’s will ya?? :wink:

taffytrucker:

mickfly:

taffytrucker:

LOL, looks like it, we get in there fairly often on the way to Texas, you got back up here quicker than me, I had two picks down there 300 miles apart.

mickfly:

taffytrucker:

mickfly:

taffytrucker:

LOL, looks like it, we get in there fairly often on the way to Texas, you got back up here quicker than me, I had two picks down there 300 miles apart.

Hang the job out drive why don’t you lol

taffytrucker:

mickfly:

Hang the job out drive why don’t you lol

Lol, I was rolling my hours, managed over 10,000 miles with just one (forced) 34 hr reset, but rolling can sometimes give you short days, so slow you down a bit.
I’ll try to keep up with you next time LOL.