Ducknosaur 2

So word has it that Newmercman has a new toy to play with , another antique long nosed Pete . Anyone know about this ?

He sure has

Share price in Kleenex will sky rocket :laughing: or other polishing cloths of course .

No chrome on this one, so a bucket and a sponge will be all that’s needed, we went for the blacked out look :sunglasses:

It’s all 21st century too, got a Daf engine in it, luckily it’s the big one so although down on power compared to the mighty dozer lump, it has the same torque and it holds on ok. Haven’t been over the rocks yet, so it hasn’t had a proper work out, but I’m happy with it so far.

It’s a flat top, but because of the layout I’ve got more room, except when I want to stand up of course, it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

We got some new 579s too and I really like them, they have a massive cab, the boss man told me I was getting a new one, but not a 579, he said they’d ordered me a special one, TBH I was disappointed, but having spent a couple of weeks in this, I’m very happy with it and glad I’ve got it.

I have ticked the full on custom yank truck box now, that was always something I had wanted to do :sunglasses:

so whats up with the camera aint you gonnaa stick a photo on here…

Good on you , best stick up some pics of the beast . Does it or will it have the hood accessory ? Do say it’s standard , those auto Petes are the pits especially over the rocks this time of year .

I can’t put pics up off me phone, so will do some when I get home :wink:

They asked if I wanted an autoshift, Wtf? It’s a flat top Pete ffs, should be illegal to put an auto in one of them :unamused:

Got a 13spd, I prefer the 18 tbh, I used to go 1lo 2hi 4lo in the old one, but in this skipping a gear doesn’t really work too well and single shifts are too close together in the low box. It’s not so bad loaded, but empty it’s a PITA, that extra half a gear made progress a lot smoother.

Freakin new trucks , mines in Kenworth with 40 fault codes after shutting itself down , piece of crap . :imp:

still no duck on it though

Here it is in all its glory.

The arse end

The front, minus duck.

Looking smart there driver

newmercman:
I can’t put pics up off me phone, so will do some when I get home :wink:

They asked if I wanted an autoshift, Wtf? It’s a flat top Pete ffs, should be illegal to put an auto in one of them :unamused:

Got a 13spd, I prefer the 18 tbh, I used to go 1lo 2hi 4lo in the old one, but in this skipping a gear doesn’t really work too well and single shifts are too close together in the low box. It’s not so bad loaded, but empty it’s a PITA, that extra half a gear made progress a lot smoother.

Maybe the guvnor read this.It’s too late to change your mind now. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=89371&hilit=AUTOMATIC&start=300#p1284040

Hahaha, it seems that it depends on the engine, I’ve never had an issue with a 13spd before and I’ve had them behind a variety of engines, in fact before getting the new one I had a couple of weeks with a DD 60 series and a 13spd and it was a perfect match, maybe it’s the gearing, the new one has 3.42s, the DD has 3.70s?

newmercman:
Hahaha, it seems that it depends on the engine, I’ve never had an issue with a 13spd before and I’ve had them behind a variety of engines, in fact before getting the new one I had a couple of weeks with a DD 60 series and a 13spd and it was a perfect match, maybe it’s the gearing, the new one has 3.42s, the DD has 3.70s?

If you look at it objectively the 13 speed is basically the state of the art on customer wish lists as it stood in the 1970’s.It then seems to have taken a surprising amount of time for the 18 speed to then get into widespread use.It’s obvious that the 18 speed would provide a lot more flexibility and be less critical in the case of engine and final drive gearing matching.IE there’s probably more likely to be the right gears available regardless of the engine’s output characteristics,load or final drive gearing spec.But that description which you gave of your old 18 speed’s tolerance of skip shifting possibly seems to show that maybe your old dozer engine’s flexibility was living up to it’s reputation by just making the 18 speed ‘seem’ like overkill :question: . :bulb:

Maybe now it’s just a case of back to the real world of engine characteristics which are more critical in their matching of transmission and final drive ratios.In which case the old 13 speed would have been lightyears ahead of the 9 speed but it’s long since been made obsolete by the 18 speed.It’s surprising in that case why fuller don’t just delete the 13 speed option in favour of the18 speed giving customers those reasons for doing so.

Having said that the DD is known for having plenty of low down torque so if that needs relatively lower final drive gearing to make the 13 speed ideal then maybe the outputs of the the new Ducknosaur’s motor have been overestimated when speccing it’s final drive ratios or maybe it’s not putting out it’s stated figures :question: .Maybe it’s time to get the DD and the new wagon together for a check on a rolling road dyno. :bulb:

seems a shame to dirty it…

The MX has the same power as the DD and the same torque as the Kitty, so it must be the final drive ratio that makes it the way it is. It’d not a problem, it’s more of an observation really.

Whens the 8" straights being put on■■?

They were put on today, so I’m told anyway, I’ll see when I go back in :sunglasses:

WTF

Yee bloody haw, I can hear dueling banjos already , haven’t you ■■■■■■■ rednecks got sisters to play with, or toes to count ? :unamused: :laughing: