Dual Control Sweepers - why bother?

A week or so back I passed a Road Sweeper that was travelling to or from a site and the driver was actually driving it as a right hand drive. This is something I have never seen before, always the right seat is empty when I see a dual control or more usually they are only left hand drive. Why bother going to all the extra expense of having a duplicated driving position when a standard left ■■■■■■ works just as well?

And some other questions, could you carry a passenger in the other driving seat? Would they need an appropriate licence to drive it even if they weren’t? How would a traffic copper deal with a driving offence if there were two qualified drivers and dual controls? And finally what if you and your mate argued about which way to go, I’m thinking Herbie. :laughing:

I always thought they were dual control to make it easier for the driver to look down at the kerb when cleaning. So having just a left hand drive is fine for left hand gutters, but what if its a one way street surely that would make it very difficult if it was only left hand drive.

he could be tramping round the uk and europe.

daleyboy:
I always thought they were dual control to make it easier for the driver to look down at the kerb when cleaning. So having just a left hand drive is fine for left hand gutters, but what if its a one way street surely that would make it very difficult if it was only left hand drive.

Never thought about one way streets, obviously the left handed only ones manage just fine though.

limeyphil:
he could be tramping round the uk and europe.

:laughing: I did once see a job driving one and joked to the missus that I’d get some experience driving a left ■■■■■■.

daleyboy:

Isn’t that what mirrors are for? You can’t easlily lean out of the window to see what your sweeping anyway, I know from experience - RHD/LHD no difference, it’s the quality of the driver that matters with these machines. :wink:

having driven a lhd/rhd sweeper i can give you the proper answer.

its so you can have a tan on both arms. :wink: