DSA may back down on fitters taking trucks for test DCPC

truckingtopics.co.uk/dcpcfittervehicl.html

This all seems very familiar.

Must be annoying when you’ve spent pages arguing on here they would need it. :unamused:

I’ll be glad if DSA sees sense and withdraws the requirement. My argument was never that this was good legislation, just that taking vehicles for test was not listed as an exempt activity.

Bear in mind that nothing is decided yet.

Best idea yet,I hate going to the test station and have some bloody useless unskilled “jobsworth” telling me a load of bollox.

Let some driver take em,sounds good to me.

Good. I mainly do not for hire / reward work and don’t technically NEED cpc but am probably going to do it eventually anyway to avoid arguments.
In the meantime after next year I would have had a ridiculous situation that I couldn’t take our wagon for an MOT but I could drive it home afterwards.

I’m sure this news will please a bloke I know who prepares coaches for MOT, very recently saw that advice and has now completed two modules.

Bear in mind nothing is written in stone yet…a DCPC may still be required for mechanics.

I have a horrible feeling that it never occurred to DSA that mechanics might take trucks for testing…they probably thought it was something that the regular driver does.

I expect someone will have to retire early on full pay as a punishment for getting this wrong!

I was under the impression that the only exemption to the DCPC was if driving was not your main activity. Surely a mechanic taking a vehicle to & from test covers that.

Slackbladder:
I was under the impression that the only exemption to the DCPC was if driving was not your main activity. Surely a mechanic taking a vehicle to & from test covers that.

there are some dealers and big operators who employ people primarily to take vehicles to and from test, or pick up vehicles from depots and take them to and from workshops.

The original list of exemptions from DSA included road testing for development and fault finding (which you could argue at a stretch included the collection and delivery of vehicles for servicing, because the journey also served as a road test), but not taking vehicles to and from test. When asked, they were adamant that such activity WOULD require a DCPC. When that came to the attention of the RHA, they started kicking up, the DSA advice has been withdrawn, but there is still no way yet of knowing what is and isn’t required. The bus/coach DCPC deadline is this September, so they are going to have to make their minds up pronto.

I know one coach operator that put all its fitters through DCPC years ago, but I’m sure there are others who haven’t done any DCPC training for their fitters at all.

DSA stand at truckfest Peterborough in 2007 I think it was, the DSA stated they would not be classing a mechanic taking a vehicle to mot as needing dcpc - I and many others were there at the time when they said that

The people have spoken out, yesterday it was Olive oil bottles in restaurants, tomorrow it could be the CPC being quietly dropped for fitters.