Drug testing

Right, something I’ve been concerned about since I took up lorry driving is the fact I have sciatica, and every now and then it plays up (usually 3 or 4 times a year) and when it does, I sometimes take dihydrocodeine , which I am aware is opiate based.

So what would be the drill if I was to be drug tested with an employer and it showed up in a urine test? The dihydrocodeine is only taken as and when needed and it is prescribed by a doctor. Fortunately I’ve not had to take any for about a year now, but as anybody with sciatica will know, when you do get a sciatic attack, it’s fairly painful (only when standing) and the dose isn’t high enough to cause any kind of drowsiness or visual impairment.

I have read that the DVLA will only be concerned about drug abuse/misuse, which obviously isn’t the case, and I did declare my sciatic problems and the medication I get given when I underwent my medical in order to obtain my provisional.

Does anybody else out there have any experience with drug/urine tests coming back positive due to prescribed meds? Touch wood my sciatic attack days are gone taps head I just value my licence a lot and I wouldn’t want to look like some crazed drug addict if I ever tested positive for something that is prescribed!

Can’t recall ever having a drugs test, mind you have given samples to check for diabetes at company medicals so daresay they could be doing a drugs test on the qt.

Have you tried Devils Claw, it’s worked for me and several others i’ve recommended it to who have sciatica, one bloke in particular a decent security bloke i know spent most of his time in pain, doubled up barely able to walk his rounds, took D/C, month later he’s skipping about like a new bloke, and got his ‘‘pecker’’ back to good use which was out of the question.

You’ll be fine as long as the drugs don’t precent you from driving,if you do have the test you will just be asked to supply evidence from your doc that he has prescribed then and you’re ok to drive whilst taking them.

EDIT-I’d even consider going to your docs now and asking for the above so you have it ready when/if it’s required save potentially having to take time off waiting to get to see a doc if you’re pulled up on it.

I have ckm, I have it all on record!

Devils claw, I’ll try that. Is it the gel or pills that you’d recommend?

Endgame:

Never used the gel, either capsules or tablets, hope it works for you too.

Juddian:

Endgame:

Never used the gel, either capsules or tablets, hope it works for you too.

Nice one bud, I’ve ordered some on Amazon, hope they work!