Drove an erf ec11 today

Dan Punchard:
It’s what comes with the area Pete ,or have you forgotten ?

Haha Dan, yes there have been a few mirrors obliterated locally over the years, when you encountered a ‘stranger’ riding the white line! :open_mouth: First thing I did with a new truck was move them in close to the cab and put a metal shield on the nearside one, still lost a few though and latterly I carried a spare glass with me. I remember going from Fenny Bentley to Northampton once with no offside mirror, that was fun on the motorway even though the 201 Gardner ‘powered’ Sed Ak 400 couldn’t actually overtake anything… :blush:

Pete.

I love those old ERFs … I had an E14 on heavy haulage for a while when I was on for Beck & Pollitzer through the agency, and it was a fantastic truck. I loved the twin splitter, once I’d got the hang of it. I’d love a chance to drive one again, rather than the dull - as- ditchwater modern automatic things we get these days.

Cant think I which ERF I took my test with…think it was an EC11… the only issue was that stiff reverse gear… made my bloody shoulder hurt a wee tad… nice truck though, plenty of pull

I used to work for John Brash Timber Importers - they loved their ERF’s for many, many years. Very reluctant to switch to MAN - but in the end it was forced!!! Good days in haulage they were!!! Personally I wasn’t a fan of the Eaton twin-split - but all the long-termers (of which there were many) loved 'em!!

My first knock in an ERF was a 78’ B series with a Jennings cab and a 240 Gardner it had a pool ball type gear knob and the range change was like a syringe pull it up between your index and middle finger and down with your thumb.

I was thinking about this last night whilst driving a bloody stupid DAF noddy lorry with a computer that played a tune with the gearbox for no good reason other than to annoy me.

mike68:
My first knock in an ERF was a 78’ B series with a Jennings cab and a 240 Gardner it had a pool ball type gear knob and the range change was like a syringe pull it up between your index and middle finger and down with your thumb.

I was thinking about this last night whilst driving a bloody stupid DAF noddy lorry with a computer that played a tune with the gearbox for no good reason other than to annoy me.

I remember those range-change switches - they were like a solid cable or rod assembly■■?

They are air Daz not that you’d believe it!

Dan Punchard:
They are air Daz not that you’d believe it!

Yeah think I remember they were a type of air switch but I remember the sliding ‘rod’ - the one I drove was on a DAF SMIT coach Y reg (1980ish??) I think it was 6-speed ZF with range-change or it may have been splitter if I think back - (edit) yes it was a splitter as it was pre-select. You slid the red switch up or down & then pressed clutch for 1/2 a gear!! Blimey - glory days!!!

Daz1970:

mike68:

I remember those range-change switches - they were like a solid cable or rod assembly■■?[/

Nah, a couple of air pipes.

A quick question, is it legal to drive a noddy lorry without a door I’m fed up with ■■■■■■■■ my elbow, if it is I’ll think of a plausible excuse for it “falling off” on the drive back to the depot.

image.jpg

Had one pass me s/b on the 34 this morning near either Peartree Interchange or Botley iirc… J100 ERF (think it was J, had a busted motor last night so was running well late so was a wee bit tired!) had a Bobcat digger thingy on the trailer and the rear of the cab had 3 murals of old trucks…can’t remember what exactly, possibly AECs &/or Leylands

Harry Monk:

Dan Punchard:
Not sure about that Harry ,Erf were at euro 3 in 1998 .

You might well be right, but my understanding is that the demise of British truck manufacturing was largely due to ■■■■■■■ and Gardner being unable or unwilling to develop new engines which met tightening eu emissions standards.

Gardner never really got the Euro standards with truck engines, although they had ago with bus engines.

■■■■■■■ was reluctant to go beyond Euro III with heavy truck engines, because by then the major customer (ERF) was owned by MAN and the other (Foden) by Paccar, and it was doubtful whether either of those companies would continue to buy engines that would have been competitors to their own in-house products.

A different situation with the smaller engines, where there was a reasonably assured market for the DAF LF and the same basic engine could also be used in buses.

However, as countries outside the EU move towards using the Euro standards that situation may change again

truckingtopics.co.uk/■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Is this the type of Range change switch you talking about, although not on a ERF, this one is a Big J, with the black switch at the back being the clutch brake.

I’ve driven those old heaps far too often, something to forget! :wink:

Dieseldog66:
Is this the type of Range change switch you talking about, although not on a ERF, this one is a Big J, with the black switch at the back being the clutch brake.

That’s the one, every other truck on our roads was British once I wonder what they would be like of they were still around.

At the time I thought they were ok they handled well they went ok ish and they were nice and light.

I’d love to have a go in one now just as a comparison.

GasGas:
■■■■■■■ was reluctant to go beyond Euro III with heavy truck engines, because by then the major customer (ERF) was owned by MAN and the other (Foden) by Paccar, and it was doubtful whether either of those companies would continue to buy engines that would have been competitors to their own in-house products.

A different situation with the smaller engines, where there was a reasonably assured market for the DAF LF and the same basic engine could also be used in buses.

However, as countries outside the EU move towards using the Euro standards that situation may change again

truckingtopics.co.uk/■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Hmm, you can definitely get a Euro 5 ■■■■■■■ heavy-duty motor in this country as King Long have been fitting them to their coaches in 440bhp form. Could have told you when I was sat behind you at Cardington this week… :slight_smile:

Yea, I think that’s the L-series engine, which they don’t seem to do for trucks.