Droppers and inverters

would i be able to use a 24v to 12v dropper then plug in a 12v inverter to run my laptop or dvd player

the max on the dropper is 4A(48w)

many thanks in advance :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have done this before and it worked fine, don’t know the ins and outs though and probablt shouldn’t have done it but yes it works fine.

I was always told never to run an inverter through a dropper unless your night heater is broken :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would doubt 4A is enough to run much more than a phone charger anyway

Might be a bit underpowered for charging a laptop. Mine takes roughly 60 watts (19V X 3.2A on the laptop charger output, and that’s before the losses in the charger). The other thing is that the inverter will also sap an awful of power so you wouldn’t be getting much out the other end. I’d give it a go, see what happens, just don’t sleep with it plugged in as if it gets hot and catches fire then you’ll need to chuck it out the window pronto :slight_smile:

Your inverter will almost certainly draw more than 48W even with something small like a laptop charger plugged into it.

In general you’re better off getting a 24V inverter but if you’re wanting to use the 12V one then you’ll need to get a much bigger dropper.

Paul

thanks for all the replies so far :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just buy a car adaptor lead from Maplin. Its what I use for my laptop.

maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223912

I did this with a 12 dropper then a 12 inverter , and … Pop !!! the fuse in the truck went , I was told if you use an inverter the least amount of links in the chain the better , therefore get the right inverter for the job , my truck only has a 24 v socket but a lot of trucks have 12v as well .
like the posts say get the laptop charger seems a better way, I bought a 24 v one and that has its problems as well =, cant use it with a 4 way so only one thing plugged in at a time . I cant drive and liaten to my DAB :imp: :imp: ,.

ive got one of these…

ebay

its ok but i have to wiggle the lead alot cos it positive current just pulses when charging. if i wiggle the lead and blow down it it then charges fine.

jessicas dad:
ive got one of these…

ebay

its ok but i have to wiggle the lead alot cos it positive current just pulses when charging. if i wiggle the lead and blow down it it then charges fine.

we don,t need that much info if you wiggle its up to you :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been running with a 24>12 dropper and my coolbox for 12 mth no prob
I only plug my inverter for charging my lappy into it while the engine is running
if I try charging whilst using I have 1 hot inverter and 1 hot dropper
so I use lappy on battery at night and charge via the inverter through the day
I also have an in-car 12v DVD player

like I said no probs so far

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: